- Text Size +
Claire got up the next day and went downstairs to find AJ sitting at the table eating breakfast.

“Where did you go to last night? I had to tidy the place up myself,” AJ said.

“I went to bed,” she stated getting a glass and going to the fridge for some orange juice.

“You could have helped me clean up before you went to bed,” he said.

“Where’s the orange juice?” Claire asked.

“I drank the last of it,” AJ said.

Claire didn’t answer him. She put her shoes on and went to the door.

“Where are you going?” AJ called after her.

“To replace the orange juice you drank,” Claire said closing the door behind her.

As soon as she got to the store she felt her heart stop. She looked over to see Brian with Elly. She loved seeing how much he cared about his little girl. He was always so caring and loving towards her.

“Is that the candy you want?” he asked her.

“Yes daddy,” Elly said taking Brian’s hand. Claire thought back to the relationship she had with her own dad. She was never like that with him when she was younger that she could remember. She couldn’t remember much about her dad as he left when she was one because he couldn’t handle fatherhood anymore. She could see how much Brian loved Elly though. Maybe that was because Brian was having to make up for the fact her mom was no longer in her life. She continued to watch them and saw Elly starting to pull Brian to the cashier.

“Come on daddy,” she said pulling at his hand.

“I’m coming,” he laughed turning round and coming face to face with Claire.

“Hi Brian,” Claire smiled.

“Hey,” he smiled.

“How are you after last night?” she asked.

“I’m ok. Did AJ gave you a hard time after I left?” he asked as Elly kept pulling on his hand.

“Come on Daddy, I want to eat my candy,” Elly said.

“Ok I’m coming now,” he said to Elly. “Sorry about this,” he said to Claire.

“It’s ok,” Claire smiled. Brian went over to the cashier and paid for the candy Elly wanted. He turned round and seen Claire over at the orange juice.

“Come on Princess, I gotta talk to Claire a second,” he said leading her over to were Claire was.

“And then we go home?” Elly asked looking up at her daddy.

“Yes,” he smiled. “Hey Claire, sorry that I didn’t give you a chance to answer my question, that was rude of me,” he said once he reached her. Claire couldn’t help but smile when she noticed that Brian had came back over to her.

“It’s ok. To answer your question he didn’t really have the chance. I’ve hardly spoken to him since last night. After you left I just went straight to my room and then this morning I got up and there was no orange juice so I came out to get some. I’m sure he will have plenty to say when I go home though,” she answered.

“I’m sorry, it’s my fault,” he said sadly.

“No it’s not. What are you up to for the rest of the day?” she asked.

“Nothing, why?” he asked as Elly pulled on his hand as she tried to see the sweets on the shelves near where they were standing.

“I was just wondering if you wanted to come over so we can talk about what happened last night,” Claire said softly.

“I can’t,” Brian said and then regretted it when he saw the look on her face.

“Ok,” she said and walked out of the store quickly leaving the orange juice she had went for and got into her car before Brian had the chance to pick Elly up and go outside.

“That’s not how this was supposed to turn out,” he said to himself as he watched Claire pull out of the car park. “Why can’t I stop people running away from me?”

“I won’t run away from you Daddy. I love you,” Elly said looking up at him.

“I love you too Princess.”