- Text Size +
About ten minutes later and Claire was on Brian’s doorstep ringing his bell. After a few minutes and Brian still hadn’t answered the door and Claire was about to ring him to see where he was. Just then the door opened.

“Hey, sorry it took me so long but Elly woke up,” he said clearly out of breath.

“That’s ok,” Claire said as she stepped into Brian’s house. They went in and sat down on the couch. Claire took hold of Brian’s hand and rubbed her thumb over it. They were both silent, just enjoying each other’s company.

“Bri, what am I going to do about AJ?” Claire asked him.

“I don’t know,” Brian said softly, wishing there was something he could say or do to make things better for her.

“He’s doing my head in. I really can’t see his problem with us being together,” she said.

“Me neither but he’s always been protective of his family,” Brian tried to reason.

“Yeah but so are you. Would you be like this if it was Kevin going out with one of your friends?”

“I don’t know, depends on the friend,” Brian laughed trying to lighten the mood.

“I suppose him and Nick would make an odd couple,” Claire laughed.

“I guess though if he was happy then I’d be happy for him,” Brian explained.

“That’s just what AJ needs to understand. I am really happy with you but he doesn’t get it,” Claire said.

“He will one day,” Brian said and kissed her. The kiss became more passionate. Brian was lying on top of Claire and she had her hands in his hair as she kissed him. Brian put his hand on her waist and then moved it under her shirt. Claire’s skin felt as if it was on fire just from the simple touch of Brian’s hand. As Brian’s hand started to move up Claire’s body, her head started to take over.

“Brian,” Claire started, but Brian continued to kiss her neck.

“Brian,” Claire said again pushing at his chest. “Please stop.”

With that Brian stopped and looked into her big brown eyes.

“What’s wrong?” he asked at her sudden change of heart.

“Everything is moving too fast,” she tried to explain.

“What do you mean?”

“You know what nearly happened?” she asked Brian and he nodded, “well I’m not ready for that. It’s too soon.”

“Ok,” he said and got off her and walked over to get the TV remote. Claire watched him and thought that she had really messed up. She had wanted to be with him for so long. Before Elly was born, before he had been with Rachel. From the day he was introduced to her she had developed a crush on him. The way he smiled at her and his whole face lit up. She had always thought he was cute and when she had got to know him better she had started to fall in love with him. He was everything that she had ever wanted in a man and she had just ruined it by not having sex with him. She wanted to, but she just couldn’t. Something was stopping her. She was sure that Brian was going to finish with her. She watched Brian stand in front of the TV as he flicked through the channels. The silence was killing her.

“Are you ok?” she asked him.

“Yeah I’m fine,” he answered not turning around.

“You’re making me nervous by standing there,” Claire said softly.

“Sorry,” he said and sat down on the recliner. Claire thought that she had really messed up because now he didn’t even want to sit on the couch with her. She decided that it was best that she left, although she didn’t know where she was going to go because she still didn’t want to back and face AJ.

“I’ll go,” she said standing up.

“Why?” Brian asked.

“Because you clearly have changed your mind about us,” Claire stated.

“How have I?”

“One minute you’re all over me and the next you won’t even sit on the couch with me. I’m sorry,” Claire said.

“I haven’t changed my mind about us. You said you weren’t ready for any of that,” Brian said finally looking at Claire.

“I’m not. It’s just, oh never mind,” Claire said.

“What is it? Don’t you want to? Don’t you like me like that?”

“Of course I do. I do want to. It’s hard to explain and you probably won’t understand,” Claire said watching Brian’s reaction. She was sure he would tell her where to go and that she was wasting his time. Instead he got up and walked over to the couch and sat down beside her.

“Try me,” he said looking into her eyes.

“Ok,” Claire said as she tried to think of how to explain things to him.

“I do really like you. I have done for longer than you know. Since the day we met I had a crush on you and things have changed since I’ve gotten to know you. My feelings are a lot deeper for you. I’m so happy that you’re my boyfriend and I do want to move our relationship to the next level eventually. I do want us to but there’s something that’s stopping me. When we do sleep together, well you’ll erm, well you’ll be my…” Claire suddenly started to get embarrassed.

“I understand,” Brian said.

Claire was sure he was going to end it then. Why would he wait? He could have gotten with Natalie or most of the other girls at the party the other night. They were all willing to sleep with him. A few tears started to fall down Claire’s cheeks.

“I’ll go,” Claire said.

“Why?”

“Brian you could have any girl you want that would be willing to give you what you want. Why would you stay with me?” Claire continued to cry.

“Don’t cry,” Brian said and pulled her into a hug. He kissed the top of her head and held her as she cried. She held onto his shirt, scared to let go.

“I’m sorry,” Claire cried.

“Hey now don’t be sorry about that. Don’t ever say you’re sorry for that,” Brian soothed.

“Aren’t you mad?” she asked.

“Why would I be mad? I didn’t understand why you changed your mind like that but now I do.”

“But you could have anyone that you want,” Claire said.

“I doubt that,” Brian laughed. “I’ve got the only person that I want and ever will. I love you.”

He said the last part quietly that Claire barely heard him.

“What did you say?” Claire asked looking up at him.

“I love you,” he said louder so she could hear him properly.

“I love you too,” Claire smiled.

“Do you?” Brian asked.

“Yes from the day I met you,” Claire said as tears fell from her eyes again.

“Come on baby I didn’t say it to make you cry,” he said as he wiped her eyes with his thumbs.

“I’m not crying cause I’m sad. I’ve never been this happy,” she said kissing him.

“That’s good cause so am I,” Brian said as he pulled away.

“You’re incredible,” Claire said as she played with Brian’s shirt.

“I know,” Brian laughed.

“And big headed,” Claire laughed.

“So when are you going home?” he asked.

“So now they you’ve told me that you love me, you are kicking me out?” Claire joked.

“No course not. Just wondered what you’re plans were that’s all,” he said.

“I don’t know. I really don’t want to have another argument with AJ and I know that when I go home, that’s what will happen,” Claire explained.

“Why don’t you stay the night here?” Brian suggested. Claire gave him a look. “I’ll be on my best behaviour. I won’t try anything.”

“Are you sure?” Claire asked.

“Yes. It means that you’ll get a night away from AJ and he might have cooled down a bit by the time that you go back tomorrow. Plus you can be my teddy bear tonight,” he laughed.

“Aww do you have a little teddy bear?” Claire teased.

“No, that’s why you’ll be staying,” he laughed.

“I’m not sure,” Claire said.

“If it makes it easier for you, I can sleep in the spare room or on the floor or something,” Brian said.

“No it’s ok. It will be nice to cuddle up to you,” Claire smiled.

“Good,” Brian smiled.

“Can we watch a DVD?” Claire asked.

“Course we can. What one do you want to watch?” Brian asked as he got up and walked over to his DVD cabinet.

“Any one,” Claire answered. Brian put one in and then sat back down on the couch and put his arm around Claire. He put his feet on the coffee table and Claire put her head onto his chest. Claire was really happy sitting there with Brian. She wasn’t really paying attention to the movie even after half an hour of it, all she was thinking about was the man beside her and how she wished it could stay just the two of them alone forever.

“Daddy?” came Elly’s small voice from the doorway snapping her back into reality.