- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Okay, second chapter is up.
Suddenly Brian could hear some sobbing. Then a scream could be heard.

“Briiiiiiiiaaaan, Briiiiiiaaannn!” His mother had returned from work.

Brian tried his hardest to answer his mothers terrified screams but he felt like he was glued to this small spot next to his wardrobe and that his voice had decided to not obey to his brain telling it to make some noise.

“Briiiannn? Honey?” he could tell his mother was crying. He could hear her walking over some broken glass towards the kitchen.

“Oh my God, oh my God, oh my God! Briiiiiiiannn!” her voice was fading more and more as she walked further into their destroyed apartment.

Jackie Littrell entered her sons bedroom. Maybe this had been the most beautiful room in their home. Where was he? Had he already been home when the intruders came? Was he hurt? Jackie could hardly see anything through her tear-swimming eyes.

She saw her little sons bed which was totally destroyed by a knife or something. The mattress had been ripped open and the filling was lying everywhere around the room.

Afraid of what to find she took another step through the mess.

She was shocked to see Brian sitting next to a piece of broken furniture clutching his favourite stuffed animal or what was left of it close looking straight ahead onto the nearest wall.

“Brian. Honey? Are you okay?”

Her small son was now realising somebody was there.

“Mommy?” he asked his voice barely a whisper.

“I’m here honey. Are you okay?” Jackie knelt down next to her son bringing his arms around his small and fragile looking frame.

“No…I….I’m fine. When I came here they were already gone.”

“Thank God” Jackie thought.

“Mommy?” in Brian’s voice now a little more strength could be heard.

“Honey?” she asked trying to make her voice sound clear and free of sorrow.

“What are we going to do now?” Brian asked quietly.


Jackie Littrell had called the police explaining what had happened.

Two hours later two policemen reached their home to take a look at the site of crime.

“Mrs. Littrell, you know this area is not a place to live for a woman and her small son…” the grey haired officer exclaimed after observing the whole damage.

“If you can tell me where else to live with a single income and a child you are welcome.” Jackie almost spat at the officers face.

“Lady, you are talking to a police officer” the other officer hissed in her direction.

“Leave it, Andrew. Mrs. Littrell has enough to cope with. Do you have anywhere to go until this mess has been cleared up?”

“She is staying with me” a voice could be heard from the front door of the apartment.

Lucy Penning silently took a look around the living room until her eyes found these of her friend and further work mate Jackie. She took some quick steps across the room and pulled her friend into a tight hug.

Jackie had called Lucy directly after she had called the police. She had the felling of needing someone grown up around.

“You both are staying with me” she smiled into Jackie’s till teary eyes. Over her friend shoulder she could make out the small frame of Jackie’s son, Brian.

Brian had been sitting silently on what was left of the couch, following the discussion between his mother and the police officers who he had disliked from the moment they had entered their home.

He liked Lucy. She was like an aunt to him and since he had no other family, he was happy that she was around when ever she was needed. He knew his mother loved her like a sister and that she needed her and that Lucy did what ever was necessary to help his mom and him.



About one hour later the three of them where sitting in Lucy’s small living room. She had been working at the same dentist Jackie had before Brian’s illness. When Lucy realized her friend was fired because she had to care for her son who his doctors had told her would die, she quitted instantly.

Now Lucy was working as a waitress in a local coffee shop.

“How long is the police going to take in your apartment?” Lucy asked sipping on a cup of tea she had provided. Brian was watching the TV while sipping some ice tea.

“They said about a week. I can find a hotel room for Brian and me…” Jackie exclaimed at once. She did not want to bother her friend.

“Nonsense. You are staying. Jackie I called…” Lucy was disrupted by the doorbell ringing.

Lucy stood up to open there door and seconds later led a tall and beefy looking man with black hair and a light beard into the living room.

“Jackie Littrell, this is Frank Corey. He is a close friend to my brother and he is a really good repair man. He wants to help you repairing the damage.” Lucy smiled sheepishly. She had he habit of trying to pair Jackie off with someone.

“Lucy, that is really nice of you an Frank, but I can’t affort somebody to work for me.” Jackie felt uncomfortable not taking the nice offer.

“No problem, Mrs Littrell. Lucy told me you are a real great cook. I’ll help you for a warm meal.” Frank offered a warm and charming smile.

“I’ll need help. I can’t do this all by myself.” Jackie thought.

Brian was carefully eying his mother, than that Frank guy. He did not know why, but he disliked him from the moment Lucy had brought him in.

“That should be no problem, but I hope Lucy was not again overdoing her promises on my cooking. Meet my son Brian.” Jackie smiled at the man than pointing towards her son in front of the TV.

“She has a son? Lucy did not tell me” Frank thought angrily but wisely was not showing it. He liked Jackie. She was his type. But a son? He would have to cope with that. He had had a great teacher in his own father.

“Hi, Brian!” He exclaimed looking at the small blond hair boy who was eying him since he had come into the room.
Chapter End Notes:
What ya think?