- Text Size +
I was especially nervous the days preceding Homecoming night. I'd never been to anything like that before and the pressure to find the right dress was overwhelming to say the least. I don't understand how girls do it. The hair, the nails, the dress, I was ready to call you up and cancel, but something told me not to.

I had almost been a week at my new school and still I hadn't made very many friends. There was this one girl who was nice enough to befriend me, unfortunately I had but one class with her. Aside from her all I had was you and you always did your best to make me feel welcome there. You introduced me to a few of your friends and although they were friendly I still always felt a little uneasy around them but I tried not to show it.

I quickly learned of the height of your popularity when I started noticing all the other girls in school would look at me with their ...well...less than pleased faces every time they saw me with you. I'd turn my back for a second and they'd be all over you like flies. I guess you had a fan club even way back then. How was I suppose to compete with that?

As I dressed for homecoming I contemplated that notion and I wondered what the hell was I getting myself into. Part of me was telling myself to run far away from you, and the other part only wanted nothing more than to be with you. Even though I didn't want to admit it to anyone least of all to myself, I knew since the first day I saw you, you had drawn me into you.

I was giving myself one final look in the mirror, nervously adjusting the straps of my black dress when I heard you knock on the door. One thing my mother was a great help and the best advice that she probably ever gave me was that you can never go wrong with the old classic little black dress. I ran to the door and saw you standing there in a crisp black shirt topped with a champagne colored sports coat. You smelled of juniper and musk, a raw combination that always reached in and sparked up unspeakable delight within me. I would sometimes have to bite down hard on my lip just to distract myself.

"You look...like an angel." Your sweet words mixed the yearning burning ignited by your cologne was too much for me.

I laughed nervously trying to ignore my raging hormones that were at that moment spiraling out of control. I felt ashamed.

"Is that for me?" I pointed the the box in your hand, trying to get my mind on anything else other that what I was feeling just then.

"Yes, for you." You opened the box and pulled out a corsage of mixed wild flowers of pinks and lilacs. "Hope you like it, I made it for you."

I'm sure the astonished look on my face did not escape your gaze. It was another first for me, one of the many I'd have with you. "You made it?"

Your cheeks turned red. Lowering your head you nodded bashfully. "Yeah, hope you don't mind. I sort picked the flowers from my mom's garden. "

 "Really?" You gave me another nod. "No one's ever done anything like that for me. Thank you, I love it!" Your head shot back up and you gave me a smile of relief.


 
I could feel all eyes on us as we walked into the gym. I was so nervous that I didn't even notice the loud music, nor did I heed any attention to the decor. It wouldn't be until years later that I would fully appreciate the beauty of it all. You knew from then on that school dances and parties were not my pleasure, but you tried so hard to make that night wonderful, and I know I never told you but you did just that. It was one of the most memorable moments of my life, I guess I should have let you known that then instead of keeping it to myself as if it were a shameful secret.

I did have fun taking those homecoming pictures with you. I was a little embarrassed at first but no matter how bad things got you always made me fell better. Like I was right where I belong.

 "Wanna dance?" I was never one for dancing. I was horrible at it.

"Um...yeah...Kevin, I don't think you want to do that."

"What dance with you, why wouldn't I?"

"Well," I sighed. "The best way I can explain this is...you know that guy from footloose? The guy Kevin Beacon was trying to teach how to dance?"

"Yeah."

"Yeah. That's me."

You laughed so hard I thought you were going to wet yourself. "Really? That bad?"

I shamefully nodded.

"Well I won't make you do it then but I am gonna have to teach you sometime."

An hour into homecoming, it happened, that magical moment. I just don't know what came over me. I cursed the dj for playing that song. I heard a lot of the other students all boo and cry in disappoint. I could tell it wasn't a popular among your school, but I couldn't help it, as soon as I heard the music start I jumped out of my seat. The spontaneity of it startled you.

"Are you okay." You asked me.

"Dance with me."

You looked at me puzzled. "But I thought you don't-"

"Yeah I know but I love that song." I gave your sleeve a gentle tug.

"Purple Rain?"

"Yeah, it's my favorite."

You raised your right eyebrow. "You like it?"

I bobbed my head like a little girl full of joy on Christmas morning. You smiled and got out of your seat. You took hold of my arm and led me to the dance floor. Now I could tell it really was not a popular song, we were the only ones dancing but I didn't care. You held me close and I looked deep into you eyes, they were the purest green I'd ever seen, with a underlying hint of a sparkle, and it was the moment that something inside of me told me I'd be yours forever. Whether I'd ever want to admit it to myself or not. And then it happened...

"Only want to see you underneath the purple rain..."

You pulled me in closer, bent down and place you lips upon mine. Gently, you kissed me and my heart cried. I parted my lips and welcomed your sweet tongue in my mouth. I held on to you like it was the last time I'd ever see you. I was in heaven as we shared our first kiss there on the empty dance floor in front of the entire school.

The best 30 seconds of my life until a teacher had to break us up in the middle of our dance. She pulled us apart and began to give us a lecture on public displays of affection and how they were strictly prohibited on campus. I paid her no attention but as we walked off the dance floor I noted the look on nearly every girls face and I knew I had just become the most hated girl in school.

After Mrs. Wilder's scolding we decided we didn't want to be there anymore so we left the dance. You took me to this nice little hamburger place that you told me was one of the best places around town to get a burger. One bite told me you were right. It was the best damn burger I'd ever have, even to this day, nothing compares to it.
You asked me what my home town was like, if it was anything like Lexington. I said no, not at all.
"What's different about it?"

"Well for one there aren't very many horses there."

"No? So you've never ridden one I take?"

"Nope."

"Never?"

You looked in disbelief and shook my head as I slurped up my cherry coke.

"Have you ever even seen one?"

I laughed out loud. "No, not close anyways."

You cradled you head in your hands and shook your head. "Honey you don't know what you're missing, I'll have to take you horseback ridding someday." You paused for a minute, just looking at me with a huge smile on your face. "So lets see, I have too teach you to dance, and ride a horse, what else do am I going to have to do with you."

I let out a mischievous laugh. "Swim." I said in a tiny voice.

You laughed. "I'm looking forward to teaching you new things." You said devilishly.

My cheeks turned bright red, not sure if I was reading too much into it or you were actually implying something more devious.

That night I had a hard time finding sleep. Thoughts of you kept popping into my head. I had barely meet you and I didn't really know much about you. All I knew was that your were a senior football player at my new school, had incredibly gorgeous eyes, an amazing kisser, and I was really beginning to like you. I tried to convince myself that I was experiencing was merely my first case of infatuation, and I wasn't sure how I was going to handle that. I did know that I loved being around you and all I wanted was to spend more time with you.