- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Enjoy the new chapter!
Chapter 18


Nick had only known his brother for two weeks but was loving him like family already. Aaron was just like him but had bundles of energy, Nick was amazed how he could just go and go without stopping. Aaron was a normal eleven year old boy, but Nick discovered he was malnourished after a visit to the doctor. This proved his theories that Aaron was abused before. On Aarons first night with him, he had discovered his brother had welts all over his back and legs. Dark bruises dotted his arms, neck and face. Having been a victim of child abuse himself, he knew what his brother went through. Aaron tearfully told him he found him through looking at an address book laying around their house, then running away from home. Nick took his brother in and soon he lived there in the house with him, AJ and Joey. Aaron seemed happiest with AJ, the two of them took to one another at once.

"Aaron, when is your birthday?" Nick asked, one morning in the beginning of December. Aaron thought real hard and looked confused.

"The day you were born?"

"Oh...December 7th."

"We should celebrate it!" AJ said, ruffing his hair. Aaron swatted at him playfully.

"Why?" he asked suddenly. Nick sat down at the table next to him and gave him his lunch.

"You've never had a birthday party before?" he asked.

"Nope. Mom didn't really let me have ANY fun." Aaron said, his mouth full of peanut butter. Nick knew how his brother felt, when he was a kid special days like that were unheard of in the Carter house. If Nick mentioned it was his birthday, he was answered with a slap to the face. Nick decided to make sure that Aaron had the best birthday a kid could want.

"Its settled. On Monday you are in charge, we will do anything you want, go anywhere you want and eat anything you want." Nick promised. Aaron looked like the happiest kid in the world as he thought of what he wanted to do.

"Can we go to the zoo? I've never been to one!" he begged, swallowing the rest of his sandwich.

"Yes, Nick...can we?" AJ chimed in.
"You want to go to the zoo, Jay?" Nick laughed.

"Its the kid's birthday, you said he could pick."

"True. Okay, the zoo it is!" Nick told them. Aaron's birthday came and Nick woke him up early for their trip. He and AJ took Aaron to Orlando. It was an hour drive almost, but Nick kept them all occupied with the DVD player installed in his convertible. They watched Free Willy on the way to the zoo and Sea World. Nick bought them tickets to see Shamu because Aaron begged him and AJ encouraged him by talking about Free Willy.

"Let's sit here," AJ said as they looked for some good seats.

"The front? Are you sure that's a good idea?" Nick asked skeptically.

"Trust me, its awesome!" AJ called, and they all took seats near the front of the tank. Nick was having almost as much fun as his brother until they got splashed by the whale at the end of the show.

"Did you know that was going to happen, Jay?" Nick said exasperatedly, wringing out his wet football jersey. AJ cackled and Aaron giggled.

"Maybe," AJ said sheepishly.

"I hate you." Nick pouted.

"I like the sound my shoes make!" Aaron said as he made squeaking sounds walking across the sidewalk.

"Well, at least we will get dry walking in the zoo." Nick thought as they went to the zoo downtown.

"Can I have pizza?" Aaron said, after AJ had won him a stuffed frog.

"With extra cheese even."

"You are the coolest big brother in the world." Aaron said, and Nick hugged him before going to get their food. After lunch they went to the reptile house where they saw a 12 foot boa constrictor.

"Nick, I want one of these!" AJ commented. Nick didn't like snakes or anything scaly for that matter.

"You bring one of those things home and I will kill you!" he shuddered as Aaron laughed.

"Nicky doesn't like snakes?"

"Heck no. ooh, they give me the creeps." Nick told them. They spent the afternoon out and came home tired with their feet aching. Nick had made a cake with candles and brought it for Aaron, who had a smile from ear to ear.

"Make a wish," Nick said. Aaron looked at the two men and realized there was nothing more he wanted than to live here forever, so that was his wish...to be able to stay with his brother forever.

"What did you wish for?" AJ asked with a grin after the candles were blown out.

"I think I got my wish already." Aaron said, still grinning as Nick cut the birthday cake. It had been a perfect day after all.