- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Enjoy the update!!!
Chapter 30


Amanda ended up being genuinely surprised by how the date with Brian went the night before. Life was going pretty good but she decided to make amends with Nick that afternoon at rehearsal. He was waiting for her this time...had shown up a half hour early.

"Happy New Year," Nick said, his voice choppy. He looked tired and worn but wore a cheerful expression. Amanda walked over slowly, running over what she would say to him in the back of her mind.

"Nick, I am sorry for snapping at you the other day. I've been going through a lot lately." she began, but Nick held up his hand.

"It's okay. I would have yelled at me too. I'm the one who should be apologising to you for my actions. I was two hours late and showed up with a hangover." Nick stated.

"Look, maybe it was the fact that you had promised it wouldn't happen anymore." Amanda replied. She looked him over and noticed the ring was missing on his hand today, the wedding ring had vanished.

"Well if it helps matters, I won't be partying anymore."

"So where is your wedding ring?" Amanda asked suddenly after a while. Nick looked at his feet and blushed a little.

"I took it off." he muttered sheepishly.

"Why?" Amanda asked, although she had an inkling what the reasoning was.

"Because I feel awkward wearing it when I don't love her. To me, wearing the ring is a symbol of your love, and I didn't want to marry her." Nick told her. Deep down, Amanda felt relieved that Nick did not love Katie. She did feel that he had put himself in this situation however and did not pity him.

"So how did you end up married, anyway? I thought you were going to dump her."

"I don't remember anything. I know I had half a glass of champagne. When I woke up it, it was morning and I found a ring on my finger." Nick said. Thinking back to that night everything seemed out of whack to him. He did not understand how he could forget getting married. As he was thinking this, he noticed Amanda was not wearing her rings either.

"Nick, you realize that taking the rings off doesn't mean the marriage disappears." Amanda said with a small laugh.

"So where are your rings?" Nick asked, raising an eyebrow. She was hoping he wouldn't notice...she was trying to avoid discussing Lance at all costs. Their divorce was being negotiated at that moment and she had no desire to speak about it to Nick. However, she knew he would find out eventually.

"Lance left me, Nick." she said softly, feeling the pain coming back.

"Wow...I'm sorry. When did this happen?" Nick asked in surprise.

"On New Year's Eve. He found out Celine is your daughter." Amanda responded, not looking at him. Lance's angry voice echoed in her mind as she thought of him and the divorce.

"If there is anything I can do, let me know. I'm here for you, remember that." Nick said. He was kicking himself practically because Amanda was now available and he was married. He had been waiting for this opportunity for a long time and now that it happened he was taken. Amanda knew Nick was happy she was no longer married but at the same time, she was now dating Brian, his best friend. She debated telling him but was interrupted by her bouncer, who walked over holding a big bouquet of red roses.

"This just arrived for you..." Charlie told her as he handed her the flowers. It was two dozen red roses, and they smelled wonderful.

"Nice flowers..who sent them?" Nick asked curiously. Amanda looked at the card and saw that they were from Brian. She decided not to tell Nick who they were from and went to her office to call Brian.

"Officer Littrell. How may I help you?" Brian answered after she had gotten transferred.

"Sorry to bother you at work, thank you for the flowers." Amanda said, finding herself giggling at how he answered the phone.

"Thank you for a wonderful date." Brian replied.

"That was an amazing dinner. I would like to see you again." she found herself telling him. Amanda decided that Nick was taken, there was no reason to wait for him anymore. Brian was a sweet guy and a gentleman, something she had not seen in anyone for a long time. After getting off the phone with Brian she walked out to the stage where Nick was singing and watched him as he performed, feeling bad about not telling him she was dating Brian. She did love Nick dearly but how many chances could she give him?