- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Back with a new chapter! Enjoy!
Chapter 32

As he looked at his father, Nick remembered the day he left. He was five years old and watching through the railing of the staircase as his parents fought over him. Nick never got to say goodbye, but his mother had told him that it was his fault his father had left.

"Nick, I-"

"Where were you??" Nick demanded, cutting off what his father was going to say.

"I couldn't find you, I've been looking for a long time....your mother kept you from me."

"Don't give me that shit. I have lived in the same goddamn house for 15 years." Nick snapped. His father looked away, ashamed of himself. Nick had tears in his eyes as he continued.

"How could you just leave me like that? I was FIVE!!!"

"Nick, I am sorry....but I didn't want to leave, your mother threw me out. She threw me out and we divorced. Then she moved so I couldn't find you."

"That is bullshit.....you didn't want me!" Nick said, tears streaming down his face. His mother's voice echoed in his head telling him over and over the words she had spoken to him as he grew up. Nick clutched his head and cried, trying to block out her voice. A little blonde boy, his five year old self cowered in the corner as his mother hit him forcefully and blamed him for everything, the stench of alcohol fresh on her breath.

"Nick just listen to him. I am sure he is sincere." Amanda pointed out solemnly.

"Where were you those nights when I slept in the basement and wasn't let out for days? When Mom heard me singing and beat me until I was unconscious? Where were you when I went a week without food for asking where you went?" Nick asked desperately.

"I-" his father stammered. Amanda was crying at this point because she had no idea Nick had gone through that as a child. She knew he was abused but not to that extent. As Nick continued it got more graphic and he stopped
to wipe his eyes.

"Look, I am sorry I wasn't there for you but I am here for you now. We can be a family again, Nick...you just have to let me in." Nick heard his father say. The little boy was screaming and crying for his father and Nick's heart broke again as his mother struck once more. Amanda left the room to collect herself and saw Brian standing there with Celine looking stressed. The baby in his arms was crying and Brian tried desperately to calm her.

"I hate you, Brian. Why did I let you talk me into that?" Amanda said as Nick's voice carried into the next room.

"Wow, what's going on in there?" Brian asked, craning his neck to look.

"I told you so....Nick is not happy...he is having a nervous breakdown. I think he will need serious therapy after this. Give me my baby." Amanda said, taking her daughter and hugging
her, bouncing her gently.

"What's wrong with Celine?" she asked after a few moments.

"I don't know, she wouldn't stop crying. i guess she wanted mommy." Brian said with a smile. Amanda went back into the other room and was surprised to see Nick and his father hugging, Nick crying into his shoulder.

"It's okay, son. I'm here." Nick's father said as they embraced.

"I'm sorry...." Nick sobbed. After he had calmed down, Amanda gave him Celine. Nick smiled and talked to his daughter, feeling much better. The little boy was at peace and the voices were silent as he talked to his daughter.

"She is a beautiful baby....whose is she?" Nick's father asked.
"This gorgeous girl is my daughter....well, our daughter." Nick stated as the baby flashed a grin.

"You're a father?"

"Yep. I am 24 but I couldn't be more proud of this little angel." Nick said.

"She is no angel, Nick. She is stubborn like you." Amanda said with a laugh.

"I will take her tonight if that's okay." Nick offered to her surprise.

"Really? That would be great." Amanda said. Nick went home that night but couldn't get to sleep. Memories of his childhood surfaced and all he could hear was screams and feel the hand of his mother striking again and again. In the morning Amanda picked Celine up and saw Nick looked tired. His eyes were bloodshot with dark circles under them and he was a mess.

"Are you all right?" Amanda asked as she looked him over.

"I couldn't sleep." he replied.

"Oh, I am so sorry. Did she give you any trouble?" Amanda asked.

"No...none at all."

"Then why couldn't you sleep?"
Amanda asked.

"Nightmares mostly." Nick said shakily.

"Nick, I am so sorry for doing that, I should have talked to you first." Amanda apologised. Nick simply smiled at her, now the healing could begin.