- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
This update has been long ovedue. Sorry guys! I been having some writer's block. Hopefully there will be another one soon, just keep the reviews coming!
Chapter 51

Aaron listened to the adults talking as they ate lunch. He had no idea what they were discussing, so he focused solely on the window across the dining table. He knew better than to interrupt, but something outside had caught his eye and he suddenly jumped out of his chair and dashed to the window, pressing his face against the cold glass.

"Nick, its snowing!" the boy said excitedly, his brown eyes twinkling. A wide grin appeared on Nick's face and he went to the window to look at the falling snow. About two or three inches had fallen already, the large flakes floating past the windowpane.

"Yep, that's snow all right." Nick grinned again.

"Can we go outside?" Aaron begged, tugging on his big brother's arm. Nick looked at Amanda, who laughed.

"Baby, you need permission?" she teased. Nick and Aaron got on their coats and Amanda dressed the baby so everyone could go outside. Nick was the first to walk down the porch steps, holding the handrail as his feet began to slide on the ice covering the sidewalk.

"Nick, be careful. There is a lot of ice out here." Amanda cautioned. Nick turned and laughed.

"Don't worry, baby. I will be FINE!" he said, but the last word turned into a yelp as he slid and fell squarely on his backside. "You all right?" Amanda said as she suppressed a laugh. Nick stood shakily and had to hold onto the railing to keep from falling a second time. Aaron giggled at him but seconds later he slipped on the same spot as Nick. He didn't fall but got his balance quickly. Amanda had the baby in one hand and a camera in the other taking pictures of the boys experiencing their first snow. Back in Florida, Nick had told Amanda that he had wished to see snow since he was very young. So Amanda picked this particular weekend to come to New Jersey because they were expecting a big snowstorm. She didn't tell Nick or Aaron about the blizzard that was coming, she simply wanted them to see the snow. Nick seemed more excited than his brother was, and he had regressed about ten years. Aaron and Nick were chasing each other and throwing snow, laughing as they darted through the snowflakes. Amanda laughed and took lots of pictures as the baby smiled. Pretty soon she took Celine inside so she wouldn't get cold and left the boys outside. Amanda's mother helped her change Celine out of the pink snow suit she was dressed in.

"Amanda?" Linda asked all of a sudden, sitting down by the window and watching the boys.

"Yes mother?" Amanda replied as she took the baby's boots and placed them on the floor.

"Nick and I had a very interesting talk before lunch." Linda said, looking at her daughter. Amanda felt a panic attack coming on as she thought of what her mother discussed with Nick and how Nick handled himself. She had been worried about this since he had expressed that he wanted to meet her parents. Amanda wanted her mother and father to like Nick. She wanted them to get along...for it not to turn out like it had when she and Lance were married. Her father had not liked Lance from the moment they met. Her father was very traditional and very protective of his only daughter.

"Isn't Nick wonderful?" Amanda said with a smile.

"He is very responsible for such a young age. 25 years old and taking care of that boy on his own. That takes courage." Linda stated. Amanda sighed with relief as her mother praised Nick for his achievements and bravery of taking on so much for his age.

"Nick said he is widowed, is that true?" Linda asked, her eyebrow raised. Amanda knew this was coming, that Tracy would be brought up eventually now that they were in Jersey.

"Yes, do you remember my friend Tracy from school? Nick married her." she explained.

"He still misses her..."

"He does?" Amanda said in surprise. Nick had never come to her and talked about Tracy's death. He had been heartbroken but Amanda didn't know he still thought of her or missed her. She thought it was sweet that he was thinking of his former wife, that he was not completely over it meant he still had feelings for her. Amanda shrugged this off and tried to change the topic.

"Another concern I have is that he does not have a relationship with his parents. I was hoping to meet them." Linda said, crossing her arms. Great, Amanda thought to herself. She knew this had been coming as well. "Mom, Nick was abused as a child." she said.

"Oh my God, he was?" her mother gasped, clapping a hand over her mouth in shock.

"He was abused for ten years, it was very hard for him and he is still dealing with what she did to him." Amanda said quietly. Nick and Aaron were starting to head for the house, so Amanda now wanted this discussion to end quickly.

"Oh my God. How can a mother do that to their child?" Linda whispered, shaking her head.

"I want to strangle that woman. Remember when I kept begging to go to Florida? I wanted to make sure he would be okay. She was starving him when I came down during high school." Amanda told her tearfully, remembering how thin and under fed Nick had been, the bruises and welts covering his body. She remembered how the slightest touch could cause him pain....and Amanda wiped a tear away as she sniffed.

"Honey, its okay. He seems like a strong person, he made it through all of that." Linda said as she hugged her daughter.

"I was so scared for him, mom. He nearly died, I don't want to lose him." Her mother held her and nodded, realizing that Amanda and Nick's love was genuine. Amanda composed herself as Nick and Aaron came back inside from the snow, white flakes dotting their blonde heads.

"Have fun?" Amanda said, putting on a smile as Nick walked over and kissed her on the cheek, his face red with cold.

"That was great, baby. Thank you." Nick whispered. Amanda's mother went to get them hot chocolate as the boys got out of their coats and wet clothes. Linda walked back into the room with the mugs and handed one to both boys, but her eyes narrowed as Aaron took his. She saw the large bruise on his wrist, which was now swollen.

"Oh God." Nick said as he realized what she was looking at.
"Where did that come from?" Linda demanded, her brown eyes glaring at Nick. Nick shook his head and his eyes wide in protest.
"Mother, I can explain..."

"Shut up, Amanda. Let Aaron tell us what happened."

"Linda...please..." Nick begged. She did not listen, but she crouched in front of Aaron and smiled sweetly at him.

"Aaron, how did this happen to your arm?" she asked kindly. As if on cue, Aaron looked up at his brother. Nick shook his head and whispered but Aaron looked back at Amanda's mother, his eyes welling with tears.

"Don't look at your brother, answer me. Did he do this?" Linda said. Aaron began to cry then, not helping matters for Nick at all.

"Mom, Nick wouldn't hurt him!" Amanda protested. Linda glared at Nick and said something about repeating the cycle of abuse.

"Listen here. I am responsible for my brother, I would never harm him! It was my ex, Katie. She was at the airport and tried to hurt him." Nick explained angrily.

"You are making me question the safety of my granddaughter." Linda said as she sat down next to Aaron, who had tears running down his face.

"Nick didn't do anything!" Aaron said suddenly, causing the adults to stop fighting. They all looked at him in surprise.

"Nick is the best brother in the whole world, he would never hurt me." Aaron stated. Nick smiled as Linda apologized to him for thinking that way. It had been a very interesting and long day, but Nick knew he still had to talk to Amanda's father, and it was not going to be easy.