- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
This chapter was a interesting one to write, sorry for the delay. Please review!
Chapter 53

Nick looked out of the window of the airplane, feeling nausea taking over. He never had a problem flying before, but wondered why he wasn't feeling well. Shifting in his seat, he tried to get comfortable but couldn't. They were halfway back to Florida, Aaron sleeping next to him and Amanda holding the baby. Nick couldn't help but smile to himself as he thought of how much he loved her and his new family....how he planned to propose. On the flight back home, Nick thought back to the last few days and grinned contentedly. Everything was going exactly to plan...and now that they were to be engaged, Nick couldn't stop thinking of Amanda as his wife. His dreams were finally all coming true...he would marry her and then everything would be perfect. Shifting once more in his seat, his stomach was in knots. He couldn't fall asleep for some reason, so he was awake all the way back to Miami International Airport. Once they had landed, Nick held Celine as Amanda helped get their bags. Amanda felt tired and so did Aaron and the baby. She couldn't wait to sleep in her own bed once more. They weren't even out of the airport when Nick's BlackBerry began to ring.
"Hello?" Nick answered. Amanda smiled and shook her head at her boyfriend.
"Who is calling him? We just landed." she muttered, a little annoyed. She should have known Nick wouldn't be left alone once they got back from her parents house. Nick came back as they were leaving the airport and going to the car.
"That was Howie. I have to work on a few songs tonight." Nick explained as he got behind the wheel. He felt very tired and drained already but knew that studio time was in order that night and he would be working late. Once they got home, Nick went right into the studio and Amanda put the baby down for a nap.
"How was the trip?" AJ asked as he walked into the room.
"Nick really impressed my parents. They like him and said Nick is wonderful." Amanda told him.
"That's great. Do I hear wedding bells?" AJ joked with a grin. He knew how much Nick and Amanda belonged together and was glad things were finally working out for them.
"God , Jay. That would be wonderful. I'm in love with him....now that I know he loves me just as much, I would love to be married." Amanda said with a smile as she thought of Nick as her husband. Lunch came and went, and so did dinner, but Nick had not come in the house yet. Amanda was disappointed that he didn't come to bed at least, she waited until about two in the morning before laying down. She looked out the window and saw the red light on the door of Nick's studio, and knew he was recording. The next morning, Nick was not at breakfast either.
"Where is Nick?" Aaron asked when he came into the kitchen looking sleepy.
"He never came out of the studio. Have you seen him, AJ?" Amanda asked as she looked to see if Nick's car was in the driveway. His car was gone, so that meant he had gone to see his manager. Sighing, Amanda was a little worried. Nick had been up all night and had not eaten either. She figured he would sleep once he came home.
"Baby, aren't you tired?" Amanda asked as she saw him falling asleep at the computer in their office.
"No, I'm just waiting for this conference call. I have to record more tonight." Nick said with a yawn. He put on a smile for her but his head was hurting him, his body ached. Nick felt his stomach churning as he shifted in the chair.
"You should take a nap. You look really tired." Amanda suggested. She hated when Nick pretended to be fine when in reality he wasn't at all. Amanda could see the circles under his eyes and that he was pale.
"Baby, I will be ok." Nick promised, smiling once more as the phone rang. Amanda knew better than to interrupt him so she left the room. Nick was in the studio again that night but came to bed and lay next to her, his stomach growling and churning. He knew he should have eaten but his body wanted him to sleep. Nick lay next to Amanda, putting his arms around her as she slept. Nick knew she felt him, as a smile crept upon her face. The two of them lay there the rest of the night, wrapped around each other. Nick woke up early the next morning feeling awful. Wobbling to the bathroom, he felt nausea taking over again and promptly vomited. He felt so weak that emptying his stomach made him more tired.
"No....no....please not today." Nick whispered as he splashed some cold water on his face and ran a hand through his hair. He looked at himself in the mirror and saw that he was very pale, his eyes had dark circles under them. Nick's legs felt weak as he walked downstairs feeling dizzy. He had to stop himself from fainting at least twice on the way to the kitchen where AJ sat eating cereal.
"Whoa, dude you look like total crap." AJ commented over his bowl of Cheerios.
"Danks a lob, Aday" Nick said. He was horrified to hear how stuffy and scratched his voice was. AJ smirked at him in amusement.
"Oh doe." Nick muttered. "Nick, maybe you should stay home." AJ said, as Nick coughed.
"No, Day. I hab a beeding." Nick wheezed, blowing his nose.
"A beating?" AJ laughed.
"Doe Aday. A beeding. I hab do go. Howie callb me bebore. Don tell Abanba." Nick sniffled. He hacked again before shuffling out the door. AJ shook his head at the sick blonde, watching him leave. As the day progressed, Nick felt worse. His throat felt like a golf ball was lodged inside, his head ached. On the way to rehearsal, Nick had to pull over and empty his stomach, his breakfast coming back up. He leaned over the blacktop, his hands holding onto his knees for support.
"I can't let her see me like this....not after I promised I was okay." Nick thought as he wobbled back to the car. He could feel the fever taking over him, beads of sweat forming on his forehead as he drove to the nightclub. He had to fight dizziness to just walk up to the door, feeling out of breath. He knew his fever must be over a hundred but was determined to go to rehearsal, his guitar case slung over his shoulder as he walked inside. Amanda was clearly annoyed that he was late.
"Nick, where were you?" she asked, but her expession softened when she saw how sick he looked.
"Are you okay?" she asked, trying to hug him. Nick pulled away and smiled, stopping himself from coughing. His stomach was yelling at him and he felt the bile rise in his throat.
"I wull be dine, bady." he said softly. Amanda knew he was sick because he sounded so stuffy. Nick tuned his guitar and got up on stage.
"Nick, I don't think this is a good idea. You're obviously sick." Amanda scolded him. Nick started to strum the guitar.
"Pleade leds dust reburde" came the reply as he sniffled again. He opened his mouth to sing but what came out made everyone cringe, some of the band covered their ears.
"Whoa whoa whoa. Nick what the HELL was that?" Amanda demanded. Nick blushed, sweat forming on his face as he felt humiliated.
"Ib fide." he coughed. He tried once more but his voice sounded like a dying wounded animal.
"That's it Nick. You're going right home and going to bed." Amanda said sternly, annoyed that he had shown up to rehearsal clearly ill. Nick sat down on the stage, feeling dizzier than before.
"Bady....blease. I...." Nick started before letting out a huge sneeze.
"Rehearsal is off. You clearly can't sing, Nick." Amanda said. She wasn't angry at him but was concerned as she felt his forehead. He was burning up, his forehead was very hot.
"Ababda" Nick started but a stern look from her told him he would not win this one.
"Go home and go right to bed. I will be there later." Amanda instructed as Nick shuffled out of the club looking defeated. Nick drove home, his stomach in knots still. He felt lightheaded, his nose stuffed up and his throat scratched and raw.
"Wow, you look horrible." AJ observed as Nick wobbled into the kitchen and rummaged through the cabinet.
"Danks a lob Day. I feel lide grab." Nick replied as he made some tea. He went upstairs as AJ answered the phone.
"Is Nick in bed?" Amanda asked when he picked up.
"Yeah he just went up to his room. I told him not to go to rehearsal. He looked horrible this morning." AJ told her. Amanda sighed. Nick was sick that morning, which meant that she might be sick too. Once she got home, Amanda went to check on Nick, but he was sleeping. She told AJ to take care of the baby so she wouldn't give her whatever Nick had, and she ordered Chinese food for dinner. Nick didn't come to eat, he spent most of the night in the bathroom and in bed. He hated being sick....because Nick was so active, laying down and doing nothing bothered him. He tried a few times to clean the house or sneak out to the studio but Amanda rushed him back to bed. She took care of him and he liked that she cared so much. A memory resurfaced of his father when he was very young, when he had the flu and his mother didn't care, his father had stayed up all night with him. Nick smiled at the memory, feeling safe. Amanda brought him some toast and soup on a tray to his bedroom.
"Baby you have to eat something...." Amanda pleaded. Nick took the bread and ate slowly, his stomach already protesting.
"Feeling better?" Amanda asked, smiling at him. Nick smiled back but had lost his voice so he couldn't speak, he simply nodded at her. Nick fell asleep soon after eating, the fever directing him there. He thought he was asleep for a long time before he woke up feeling better.
"Nick?" a sweet voice called. Nick's eyes fluttered open and he was not in his room. He blinked and saw everywhere was white, like clouds. The floor under his feet was springy as well. He looked for the person that called his name and saw a woman with dark blonde hair, wearing a white dress.
"Nick....I have been waiting for you." she said, smiling as she walked over to him and they embraced. He felt the familiar touch of her soft hands and smelled her perfume, drank it all in.
"Tracy?" he whispered, tears springing to his eyes and smiling at her. She nodded, her green eyes shining. Nick kissed her and then realization hit him....she was dead. She had been dead for almost a whole year, did that mean he had died as well?
"I know what you're thinking." Tracy whispered in his ear. Nick was so happy to see her again, but he didn't want it to be like this.
"Am I.....am I?" Nick asked, his voice breaking.
"If you choose to be, baby. We can be together forever." Tracy said, her hand on his neck. Nick thought about this. If he chose to stay, he would never see Amanda or his daughter again.
"i know you love her, Nick. I don't want you here if you don't want to be here. Do what your heart is telling you. I will always love you, baby....I will wait for you." Tracy said. Nick nodded at her.
"I'm sorry.....I miss you so much....but I love Amanda." he whispered, touching her soft hair and kissing her gently on the cheek.
"Go to her....she needs you more than I do....you belong to her." Tracy said, holding him. Nick leaned in to kiss her again but woke up in his bed, feeling sick but much better than before. He knew now that he belonged with Amanda and he had to make it official, there was a lot of planning to do. Nick grinned to himself, at least he had plenty of time to plan everything. He wasn't going anywhere.