- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Thanks for the reviews! ~ Patti and Krystle
Chapter 2:

Flashback

“Man I’m so pumped about going to Miami!” Nick exclaimed after their plane leveled off in the air, “It’s like going home but not really ya know? And we get to share a room together again which we haven’t done in ages and we can do a bunch of stuff like order room service and pig out and play video games and…”

“Nick! Nick,” AJ interrupted.

“What?”

“It’s important to breathe when you’re talking,” AJ chuckled at his friend’s ramblings.

“Right. Anyway I think it’ll be great right?”

“Yeah Nick. It’ll be great. We’ll do whatever you want.”

“Really?” Nick asked excitedly.

“Yes.”

AJ had to smile at the look on Nick’s face. He looked like a kid in a candy store. He knew it meant a lot to him that the two of them spend time together. They hadn’t really had a chance to since starting dance rehearsals and their promo tour.

“You’re right,” AJ agreed, “it’ll be great.”

[End of Flashback]

“Nick man you got to calm down,” Howie spoke trying to calm the younger man.

“This is my fault. I insisted on calling for room service and AJ answered the door. It should have been me. Then this wouldn’t have happened.”

“You don’t know that Nick,” Brian argued, “We could be looking for you.”

“Right,” Howie agreed, “Maybe … maybe AJ wasn’t targeted. What if…”

“What?” Nick prompted when Howie trailed off.

“What if all four of us are and AJ just happened to be the first?”

“Oh come on Howie!” Nick disagreed, “That’s something out of the movies.”

“Guys I really hate to say this, or even think this but what if the detectives are right?”

“What do you mean?” Howie asked.

“What if… what if AJ is using again and he pissed somebody off?”

“No! No!” Nick shook his head emphatically, “He is not using again. I know it. He’s been doing so well and he was so amped up about the album dropping and the tour. I know he wasn’t using. There has to be another reason this happened.”

“Okay Nick. Calm down. I didn’t mean to upset you,” Brian apologized, “I don’t want to think that either.”

Nick narrowed his eyes at Brian, “I don’t think it Brian. I know it! There has to be another reason!”

“All right guys,” Howie stepped in, “Let’s get back to the hotel. We should call Denise and make sure she is okay.”

Brian sighed softly, “All right. Let’s go.”

The group piled into the car that had driven them to the police station and headed back to the hotel they had been staying in.

“Brian?” Nick asked quietly.

“Yeah Nick?”

“Can I stay with you? They won’t let me back in my room. Not that I want to go in there anyway.”

“Of course you can.”

“Thanks.”

Brian watched his friend and could see the turmoil in his face. Nick was feeling guilty over something he had no control over.

***

Once they reached the hotel, Brian and Nick went back to the Litrell’s room where Leighanne and Baylee were waiting for them to return.

“What happened?” Leighanne asked as soon as they entered the room.

“We had to record a message they are going to play on the news, basically begging for whoever did this to let AJ go.”

“Uncle Nick do you want to come play me?” Baylee asked unaware of what had happened.

Leighanne hadn’t told him as she didn’t want to frighten her son.

“Not now,” Nick answered and dropped down on the couch.

“Please? You haven’t played with me in a long time,” Baylee whined.

“I said not now!” Nick snapped.

Baylee burst into tears and ran to Leighanne, hiding behind her leg.

“Nick!”

“I’m sorry Leighanne. I didn’t mean it.”

“Apologize!”

Nick got up and knelt down so he was in eye level with Baylee.

“Hey Bay? I’m really sorry I yelled at you. I didn’t mean to. I don’t feel really good right now. I’m sorry.”

Baylee sniffled and nodded, “Okay.”

“Do you want to read me story?” Nick asked.

“Mmm okay.”

Baylee went to find one of his books and climbed up on the couch beside Nick.

***

“What happened at the station?” Leigh asked when Howie returned.

“We had to record a message for whoever did this. You know asking to return AJ to us.”

Leigh nodded, “Do you have any idea who did this or why?”

“No,” Howie shook his head and sighed, “Brian thinks it was drug related. Nick is adamant that it wasn’t.”

“What do you think?”

“I want to believe that Nick is right and it was something else. But no one really knows. Hopefully the police will find him and he will be okay.”

“I’m sure he will be. AJ is strong. He’s a fighter.

Howie nodded sadly and embraced his wife, “I hope you are right.”