- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
hope you like it :) I'm trying to get better at this updating more but I've had the worst writers block. Hopefully I can work through it. :) more soon! enjoy!and thanks for all the amazing feedback it's what keeps me going so keep it up!
AJ smiled as he picked up the phone later the next day.

“Hey mom.” He said taking a seat on one of the couches in the dressing room. “What’s going on?”

“Hi sweetheart, did I catch you at a good time?” Denise asked.

“Yeah, we just finished sound check.”

“How’s everything going?”

“Pretty good. We’ve been having a lot of fun; this show is very laid back. It’s nice.” He said with a smile. “Are you going to come out for your birthday?”

“I don’t think I’ll be able to sweetheart. Business has really picked up these past few weeks and I’ve signed on quite a few new clients.” She informed happily. After moving back to Florida a few years ago Denise began training to be a life coach and now had began her own business.

“Well that’s great. I’m glad it’s going good. We’ll miss you out here, but your job is more important” he said happy for his mom.

“How’s Ashley holding up this week?” Denise asked, changing the subject.

“She’s been really moody. I don’t know what’s wrong with her. I asked Nick to talk to her, but we haven’t had time to talk yet today.”

“I knew I should have called to remind you. You always lose track of time on tour.” She sighed.

“What are you talking about?” he asked confused.

“Tomorrow is August forth. That makes six years since, well you know.” She said not being able to bring herself to say it. As tough as this was on her she knew it was even harder on Ashley, and this would be the first year she wouldn’t be there to help her through it.”

“Crap.” AJ sighed in frustration, mad that it had slipped his mind. “That’s what she meant when she said I should already know. I feel like such an idiot.”

“I’m sure she understands. You’ve been busy and under a lot of stress. Just make sure your there for her these next few days, because as much as she tells you she’s fine, she’s not. Even if she doesn’t want to talk, just sit with her and keep her company.”

“I’m on it mom, no worries.” He reassured her. “She’s out to dinner with the girls right now, but we have a long drive to Washington tonight, so we’ll have plenty of time to talk.”

“Good. Well the other line is ringing. I have a client calling in so I’ll talk to you later. Love you, and tell Ashley I’m here if she needs me.”

“Will do. Love you too, mom. Bye.” He said hanging up and leaning back against the couch with a sign. How could he have forgot something so important? He knew he had to make it up to her some how.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

“So you and Nick looked pretty close the other night at the bar.” Leighanne said as the four sat at a table in a small diner just across from the arena.

“He was just being a goof ball and trying to cheer me up.” She shrugged.

“You know Nick usually doesn’t dance. I the only time I’ve ever seen him dance is on stage.” Kristin chimed in.

“Like I said he was just trying to cheer me up. It was nothing.” Her cheeks slightly flushing.

“Doesn’t seem like you thought it was nothing.” Leighanne smirked nudging her playfully.

“Believe me, it was.” She sighed.

“What makes you so sure?” Leigh asked.

“Because he’s had plenty of time to make a move and he hasn’t. I know you guys think he likes me, but I honestly think he just see’s me as a friend.” Her face showed her disappointment.

“Maybe he’s made a move and you just haven’t realized it yet.” Kristin offered. “What about that joke he played on you? Don’t they always say guys show affection through teasing?”

“Yeah when your like five.” Ashley pointed out.

“And how does that disprove my point?” Kristen said with a serious face before they all burst into a small fit of laughter.

“But seriously.” Leighanne said breaking it up. “There has to be something. Just think about it, I’m sure it will come to you.”

“I don’t see why you guys are pushing this so much, but I’ll try and think it over if it makes you happy.” She said with a sigh.

“Because you two look so cute together and I think you guys would be good for each other.” Leighanne said sincerely. “We just want you to be happy, and you seem really happy when you’re around him.”

“I do really like him and he does make me really happy” she admitted. “But…”

“But what?”

“I don’t want to get hurt.” She sighed.

“You cant live wondering when you’re going to get hurt again, or you’ll never really be happy.” Leighanne reminded her.

“I know, it’s just hard to overlook that sometimes. I’m trying, really. And when I hang out with him it’s the furthest thing from my mind.” She sighed. “But the second I’m alone it’s all that I can think about. I wish I could just shake it off but sometimes it get’s hard.”

“We understand.” Leighanne smiled at her. “Like I said, we just want you to be happy.”

“I know, thanks guys.” She smiled slightly. “That’s all I want too.”

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Ashley boarded AJ's bus with a yawn after that nights show. They had about a nine-hour drive to the next city and her lack of sleep was catching up to her. As much as she hated sleeping on the bus she was actually looking forward to the time to rest. She made her way through the bus to the back room and dropped her bag next to the couch before plopping down on it and reaching for the remote. She was just about to fall into a light sleep when she heard AJ come onto the bus, dropping his bag with a loud thud.

"Hey Ash." He said as he came into the back, taking a seat on the couch to the side of her. "Ready for a long ride?"

"No, I hate the bus." She sighed. "I get claustrophobic in the bunks and these couches aren't very comfortable."

"I know, it’s the downside of touring. But at least you can sleep in a little tomorrow once we get to the hotel." He reminded her.

"Thank god for that. I'm so tired, I haven't really slept much in the past few days." She admitted.

"How are you holding up?"

"Mom finally reminded you, huh?" She said with a slight laugh, letting him know she wasn't angry.

"Sorry." He sighed. "I always loose track of time on tour...the other downside."

"It's ok, you're forgiven." She smiled a little.

"So really, how are you holding up?" He asked again.

"I'm alright I guess...better then I thought I'd be. Nick helped me sort things out a lot the other night." She smiled to herself remembering that night.

"That's good. I'm glad you had someone there to talk to." He said with a slight sigh.

"Sorry I didn't talk to you. I dunno I guess I just needed some outside insight. But thanks for being patient with me."

"I understand kiddo. I know you can't always come to me, but as long as you know
I'm here when you want to talk were good." He smiled.

"I know, and I'm glad that your here right now. It's hard being alone sometimes." She paused for a moment wiping her eye before a tear could fall. "I really miss her."

"I know, I do too Ash. But she's always here watching over you even when it doesn't seem like it. You have one of the best guardian Angels." He said moving next to her and pulling her into a hug.

"I just wish it would get easier, but it never does."

"When you lose someone that special it's never easy, but when you have people around who love her and miss her just as much it makes it a little better.”

“I just wish I knew what she was thinking and that she’s happy with everything. I want her to be here to see everything and I hate that she has to miss out on it all.” She wiped her eyes.

“She is here, and you know in your heart that she’s so happy for everything that you’ve achieved and all that you’re doing. She gets to see it all and I can guarantee that she’s so happy to see you going after your dreams.”

“Thanks.” She smiled a little and leaned into him s she turned up the volume on the TV letting him know that she was done talking. He knew the little he got out of her was more then usual and he was thankful for that. They sat on the couch in silence for a while before she finally looked over at him. “Can I ask you a question?”

“Sore, go ahead.” He said not knowing what it would be about.

“What do you have against Nick?”

“What do you mean? I don’t have anything against him.” He furrowed his brow in slight confusion.

“Then why do you say he’s no good for me?” she looked at him with all seriousness.

He sighed and took a moment before answering. “I shouldn’t have said all of those things to you.”

“Then why did you?”

“In all honesty I was jealous, like I told you before I wanted to use the downtime on tour to catch up with you and spend time with you before you moved. I thought that with him in the picture it would never happen. I really don’t have anything against him.”

“Honest?” she said hopefully.

“Honest.” He reassured her.

They say quiet for a few moments before he finally spoke up again.

"You like him a lot don't you?" He finally asked.

"Is that the question of the day or something?" She laughed slightly.

"I'm not gonna get mad if you like him, so you can tell me.” he said. "Brian helped me to realize that compared to other guys Nick’s pretty much miles ahead of them."

"Others as in the jackasses I've dated before?" She laughed.

"Quite possibly." He returned the laugh. "And every other guy like them."

“He is pretty great.” She smiled a little with a slight blush.

“Someone’s got a crush.” He teased shoving her playfully.

“Do you think he likes me?” she said timidly. “You know him best.”

“Ash I’ve told you that from the beginning.” He laughed a little. “He’d be stupid not to.”

“You have to say that, you’re my brother.” She sighed.

“Ash, you’re an amazing girl and it’s hard not to see that. He likes you, believe me.”

“I wish he would just tell me that.” She groaned. “It’s too hard to read between the lines.”

“As much as we don’t want to admit it we’re as nervous and awkward as girls are when it comes to telling you how we feel. We’re afraid of rejection just as much as you are.”

“Well he’s the guy and he needs to man up and say something, cuz I’m not putting myself out there just to get shut down.”

“Well I can guarantee he wouldn’t shut you down.” He laughed. “God never in my life did I think I’d be giving my little sister guy advice.”

“Well I appreciate it. Coming from the girls is one thing, but when it comes from you I know I’m getting the truth.”

“Glad I could help.” He said with a yawn. “I think I’m gonna try and sleep a little, we still have a lot more driving to go. You should try and get some rest too.”

“I will. Good night and Thanks again.” She smiled and hugged him as he walked towards the bunks.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

They finally reached the hotel, luckily ahead of schedule, and although she had got some sleep on the bus Ashley was still quite tired. She drug her bag to her room and was happy she had decided to change before they got to the hotel so she could get right in bed. She yawned as she pulled down the comforter and tossed her pillow onto the bed. She plugged her phone into the charger before crawling into bed and pulling up the covers. Just as she was falling asleep her phone started going off from its place on the bedside table.

“Hey.” She said groggily into the phone.

“What cha’ doin?” Nick said with a cheery tone.

“Trying to sleep like normal people do at six thirty in the morning.” She laughed slightly.

“No normal people are sitting up watching a movie cuz they slept too much on the bus and aren’t tired. Only lame people are sleeping.”

“I guess I’m lame then.” She said yawning. “Nick I’m really tired.”

“I think it’s just all in your mind. Think awake thoughts and you’ll be awake.”

“I don’t want to be awake.” She groaned.

“Yes you do, and you want to walk down the hall and come keep me company.”

“Really? Since when can you read my mind?”

“It’s one of my many skills. Now please come, I’m soooo bored.” he dragged it out for a better effect.

“Nick I’m tired, I don’t feel like moving.”

“Pleaaasssseeeeee.” He began to whine.

“You’re not gonna stop until I say yes are you?” she shook her head.

“No” he said momentarily before continuing his pleading.

She groaned and pulled the phone away from her ear as he continued. She knew he could keep it up as long as necessary. Knowing she had little choice, and not really minding the company she grabbed her pillow and trudged down the hall to his room without a word.

“Stop begging and open your door.” She said as he finally stopped and she heard movement coming from behind the door. She hung up her phone as the door swung open and he stood on the other side with a grin. “You’re a real pain in my ass.” She said pushing past him with a laugh.

“But ya gotta love me.” He smirked.

“Not really.” She teased. “I just wanted to get some sleep and I knew you wouldn’t leave me alone.”

“Works for me.” He shrugged jumping back onto the bed. “Either way you’re here.”

“I’m not gonna be much company.” She said yawning. “I’m ready to pass out.”

“It’s all good. I’ll nudge you every time you’re dozing off.” He joked.

“If you did I don’t think you’d be waking up come show time.” She threatened with a laugh. “What movie are you watching anyway?”

“The Goonies.” He grinned.

“I shouldn’t have even had to ask.” She laughed. “I love the truffle shuffle as much as anyone else, but I’m ready to sleep.”

“Fine, be a party pooper.” He teased as she laid back on her pillow and closed her eyes.

“I will.” She said through a yawn as she casually slid herself closer to him. She knew it wasn’t the big gesture that would let him know how she felt, but she figured little by little maybe he would catch on.

He smirked taking the hint and wrapped his arm around her waist pulling her closer. He looked down smiling at her as her breathing began to steady. Not wanting to disturb her he switched off the TV. Truth is he didn’t care much about watching the movie he just wanted an excuse to be near her. He knew he should tell her how he felt but he just didn’t have the courage just yet. Right now he was content just having her here in his arms even if they were just friends.
Chapter End Notes:
By the way I'm trying to get some better way for you guys to contact me/ ask questions and such. I will be creating a Twitter account soon so look for that in the next chapter notes but for now I set up a formspring so I'd love to answer any questions you have about me or the story or any of my writings...heres the link
http://www.formspring.me/PinKizLovE