- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
yay finally got it posted! Ill try not to keep you waiting so long on the next one! Hope you enjoy!!!

Add me on twitter! www.twitter.com/AshleyNicoleFan ...get updates from me in between chapters or ask me questions anytime at http://www.formspring.me/PinKizLovE
That night after the show the girls and Scott piled onto Nicks bus to make their way to Washington D.C. Angel carefully observed Ashley and Nick the whole ride trying to see just how they interacted with each other. She wished neither were so oblivious because it was plain to see that they liked each other, from the way they joked to the way they’d find a way to get closer. When watching a movie Ashley would rest her head on his shoulder or he would slip his arm around her. At one point she just wanted to scream out that they both liked each other and to get over it and make something happen, but she refrained. She agreed with Ashley, she wished it could just be easier. But both of them had been hurt and used before and without careful planning and execution things could backfire and ruin all their chances. She knew as much as she just wanted them together right then and there she would have to be patient and let things play out on their own. She just hoped she could live up to her confidence and get the job done.

Once they arrived in D.C they all headed straight to bed, exhausted still from the previous days long travel. Since there was no show that next day Ashley and Angel made plans to check out a small lounge just outside of the D.C. area. Angel had heard about it from a friend and was dying to check it out. She had heard that they had a small stage where they held open mic nights most days of the week. She was praying tonight would be one of those nights because she had a plan to try and move things along with Ashley and Nick. She knew all they needed was just a little push and everything would fall into place on its own.

Ashley sat, with her legs crossed, in front of the full length mirror in her hotel room, leaning in as she applied her eyeliner. She had been listening to ‘Yours to Hold’, the song Nick had sang to her just a few nights ago, on repeat for so long she had lost track of just how many times it had played. She loved the song before, but after hearing him sing it she couldn’t get enough of it. She looked to her left as she heard the door open and smiled acknowledging Angel as she came in before going back to her makeup.

“So I think just Brian and Leighanne, Nick and AJ are coming with us tonight.” Angel said taking a seat on the bed.

“Sounds good. Where’s Scott?” Ashley said finally realizing Angel was alone.

“I told him to stay in Nick’s room so we could get ready in peace. He’s not changing or anything so we have the room to ourselves.” Angel said getting her outfit out of her bag. “Can we listen to a little more upbeat music, this song is depressing.” She laughed.

“What are you talking about, I love this song.” She looked at Angel through the mirror.

“Have you not listened to the words?” Angel laughed. “It’s about this guy who’s like totally in love with a chick who is like oblivious to the fact that he’s crushing on her.”

“Oh.” She said taking a second to listen. “Ohh.” She said, light bulb finally going off in her head.

“What?” Angel looked at her amused.

“Your brother sang this song to me a few nights ago.”

“How can you of all people, who is always analyzing every lyric you hear, fail to catch the most obvious clue ever?” Angel laughed. “And wait…why am I just learning of this serenade now?” Angel said with a slight smirk.

“I dunno.” She shrugged. “I didn’t think much of it at the time. He was just trying to cheer me up when I was down about my mom.” She said and continued to fill Angel in on the events of that night.

“And after all that you still want to question if he likes you?” she said as she finished getting dressed.

“You know I’ve always been oblivious. Why do you think I always need you around?”

“Glad to know what I’m good for.” Angel joked. “So now that he’s hinted that he likes you the ball is technically in your court. You have to hint back.”

“And how do I do that? I’m not exactly the best at being coy and uninhibited. I just get choked up and my nerves get the best of me.” She sighed wishing this could just be easy.

“Let me worry about that.” Angel said with a devious smirk.

“I don’t like that look…” Ashley said nervously. “What exactly do you have up your sleeve?”

“You girls ready to go?” Scott said knocking on their door. Everyone’s waiting by the elevators.

“Coming!” Angel called out as they grabbed their belongings and heading for the door. “Don’t worry about it. Let’s just go have fun tonight.”

“If you say so…” Ashley said apprehensively as they headed through the door.

A short while later their van pulled up in front of ‘The Liberty’. From outside you could hear live music being played. Angel inwardly grinned as they entered and she passed the chalkboard near the front that read ‘Open Mic Night 9PM-2AM’. They found a few tables just off the side of the stage and ordered some drinks. Angel knew she had to be strategic about getting her plan in motion without being noticed. She needed help making sure Ashley was distracted. She looked around the table and finally decided Leighanne would be the best choice. She glanced her way and caught her attention. Angel leaned over knowing with the music Ashley wouldn’t overhear her.

“I want to sign Ashley up to sing tonight, but I need you to distract her.” Angel said.

“You sure she’ll go for that? You know how she gets performing her music in front of crowds.” Leighanne said.

“Don’t worry, she’ll be fine. She just can’t know that I’m signing her up or she’ll stop me. Ask her to go the bathroom or something and keep her away for a few minutes.”

“Can do.” Leighanne said before letting Brian know she’d be back and approaching Ashley. “I want to call and make sure Baylee fell asleep with the sitter, want to come with? It’s too noisy in here.”

“Sure.” Ashley smiled and got up to follow her outside.

Angel quickly made her way over to the side of the stage where a man was standing with the list of performers.

“Can I help you?” he asked as she approached.

“Yeah, I want to sign up for tonight.” She said checking the door to make sure they were staying put outside.

“The list is already full, sorry.” He said apologetically.

“There’s no way you can squeeze me in? Please?” she said with pleading eyes.

He took a look at the list once more with a sigh. “We’re going to be taking a break in about five minutes, I can squeeze you in right before then.”

“Thank you so much, it’ll be worth it. I promise.” She smiled and wrote down Ashley’s information making sure to write the name of the song she wanted her to sing.

She quickly returned to her seat just as Ashley and Leighanne were walking back inside. She gave Leighanne a quick thumbs up as they took a seat. Angel anxiously glanced at the clock for the next few minutes. She wasn’t sure how Ashley was going to react, but she knew if she could just get her up on stage things would all work out.

“That was Jake Roberts with his cover of Iris by the Goo Goo Dolls. Give it up for him.” the announcer said as he exited the stage. “Last before we take a break we have a late signup. Here to sing an original song called ‘Falling For You’ let’s hear it for Ashley McLean.”

Ashley’s eyes bugged out, almost choking on her drink, as her name was called. Their whole table erupted into applause as they looked at her.

“Ashley come on up here.” The announcer said looking in the direction of the cheers.

“I didn’t know you were gonna be singing tonight. What a surprise.” AJ said as Ashley timidly stood up.

“Yea, it’s a surprise all right.” She said grabbing Angel and pulling her towards the side. “What were you thinking?”

“That Nick needs to head the awesome song you wrote for him.” Angel smirked and pushed her towards the stage. “You can do this. You’ll be awesome.”

“I don’t even have my guitar.” She said nervously. “I can’t do this.”

“You can borrow mine.” Jake, the singer who had just performed, offered from the table just next to them.

“See there you go.” Angel said handing her the guitar. “No excuses. Now go.” She said giving her a shove.

“Ashley McLean everyone.” The announcer said as she put the guitar around her neck and timidly stepped up onto the stage. The small crowd clapped lightly welcoming her as she approached the microphone.

“Hey everyone.” She said shyly looking out over the crowd. She had performed in front of larger crowds plenty of times before, but never her own music. The thought made her nervous, but she knew there was no turning back now. “I wrote this song not too long ago and I hope you like it, it’s called Falling For You.” She took a deep breath as she began to play. After a moment her nerves disappeared and she lost herself in the music.

“I don’t know but I think I may be
Falling for you, dropping so quickly.
Maybe I should keep this to myself,
Wait until I know you better.

I am trying not to tell you,
But I want to. I’m scared of what you’ll say.
So I’m hiding what I’m feeling,
But I’m tired of, holding this inside my head.

I’ve been spending all my time just thinking bout ya
I don’t know what to do, I think I’m falling for you.
I’ve been waiting all my life and now I found ya
I don’t know what to do, I think I’m falling for you.
Falling for you.

As I’m standing here and you hold me hand
Pull me towards you, and we start to dance
All around us I see nobody,
Here in silence, It’s just you and me.

I am trying not to tell you,
But I want to. I’m scared of what you’ll say.
So I’m hiding what I’m feeling,
But I’m tired of, holding this inside my head.

I’ve been spending all my time just thinking bout ya
I don’t know what to do, I think I’m falling for you.
I’ve been waiting all my life and now I found ya
I don’t know what to do, I think I’m falling for you.
Falling for you.

Oh I just can’t take it.
My heart is racing.
Emotions keep spinning out.

I’ve been spending all my time just thinking bout ya
I don’t know what to do, I think I’m falling for you.
I’ve been waiting all my life and now I found ya
I don’t know what to do, I think I’m falling for you.
Falling for you.

I can’t stop thinking bout it
I want you all around me
And now I just cant hide it
I think I’m Falling for you.

I can’t stop thinking bout it
I want you all around me
And now I just cant hide it
I think I’m Falling for you.

I’m falling for you.
Oohhh
Oh no no no
Oh I’m falling for you.”

She bit her lip nervously as she finished the song, looking out to the crowd. She sighed in relief as everyone began to clap and her friends cheered.

“Thanks.” She said still quiet as she gave a slight wave and walked off the stage.

“Give it up for Ashley McLean.” The announcer said. “We’ll be back in twenty minutes with a crows favorite so sit tight.”

“Thanks for lending me your guitar.” She smiled at Jake as she handed it back to him.

“No problem, always have to help out a fellow musician.” He smiled at her.

“Great job, Ash.” AJ said as she sat back down at the table.

“Thanks.”

“Told you that you could do it.” Angel smirked. “It wasn’t so bad now was it?”

“Shush.” She said taking a slug from her drink. “My nerves are still jumping.”

“But you did amazing.” Angel reassured her.

“Yeah. It was really good. I’m glad I finally got to hear you sing.” Nick smiled at her.

“Thanks.” She said blushing slightly.

They stayed for a short while longer before heading back to the hotel. Ashley, Angel and Scott went back to their room, deciding to watch a movie. She was bummed that Nick decided to call it a night early, wishing she could spend a little time with him.

Ashley sat on her bed trying to pay attention to the movie but it was hard with Angel and Scott paying more attention to each other just a few feet over. Finally she decided to just go for a walk to give them some alone time. She grabbed her phone and ipod and headed for the elevators. The doors opened and just as she was about to walk in she bumped into someone. Looking up she laughed smiling at Brian.

“Hey sorry, I wasn’t paying attention.” She apologized.

“It’s ok, no major damage done.” He laughed rubbing his arm where her elbow had bumped him.

“I thought you were going to bed?” she asked as the doors closed again.

“Baylee has a little cough, I just ran to the store downstairs to see if they had any cough medicine.” He said holding up the small bag.

“Aww is he ok?”

“Yeah it’s nothing serious, we just want to catch it before it gets bad.” He said. “I should get this back.”

“Good night.” She smiled.

“Where are you headed?” he said before taking off down the hall.

“Think I’m gonna grab a coffee or something in the café downstairs.” She shrugged.

“Well have fun. By the way that song was really good.” He smirked with a wink.

“What’s that look about?” she laughed pushing the button for the elevator again.

“You know what it’s about.” He laughed. “Have a good night.”

“You too. Give Baylee a hug for me.” She said stepping on the elevator as the doors opened.

Ashley walked off the elevator and through the lobby of the hotel to the small café that was attached to the side. She smiled as she entered, smelling the scent of the fresh backed goodies behind the counter. She quickly looked them over before deciding which one she wanted then made her way to the counter to place her order.

“Hi can I have the red velvet cupcake and a mint hot chocolate.” She smiled excited for the late night treat.

“Sure thing. That will be $5.80.” The cashier said ringing her up. As she reached for her money someone beat her to it.

“I got it.” He said placing the money down on the counter. She smiled knowing the voice before turning around.

“I thought you were going to bed.” She smirked looking up at Nick.

“Couldn’t sleep, thought I’d sneak out for a walk or something but I saw you slip in here. Figured I’d keep you company.” He smiled back as the cashier handed him his change. She waited for her drink and took the small plate with her cupcake carrying them to a small booth towards the back.

“Stalking me are you?”

“Guess I’m busted.” He laughed.

“And what if I was sneaking in here for a midnight rendezvous?” she laughed.

“I would have had to take him out.” He smirked, taking a seat across from her.

“Oh really?” she raised a brow in question.

“If some other guy steals you away who am I gonna have to bug when I cant sleep at three in the morning?” he teased.

“So that’s all I’m good for? I see how it is.”

“So not true and you know it.”

“Uh huh. Don’t worry Carter, don’t think I’m not using you too.” She smirked.

“For what my sexy body?” he teased.

“Oh yea, you’ve got me all figured out.” She laughed shaking her head. “Anyway.” She said changing the subject and finally taking a sip from her hot chocolate. “Oh my god this is seriously the most amazing thing I’ve ever tasted. I’m in heaven.” She caught the glance he gave her with a laugh as she took a big bite out of her cupcake. “Shut up I have a major sweet tooth and haven’t had anything sweet in weeks. Excuse me for being enthusiastic.”

“That’s not why I’m laughing.” He said reaching across the table and wiping off the glob of the frosting from the corner of her mouth. “Delicious, huh?”

“You’re such a perve.” She laughed wiping her mouth with a napkin.

“Hey all I did was wipe some white stuff off the corner of your mouth…you’re the one whose mind is going straight to the gutter. I said nothing.” He laughed.

“Yeah, but I know what you’re thinking so shut up.” She laughed tossing her napkin at him.

“Anyway…I thought you and my sister were having movie night or something?” he said changing the subject again as she continued to drink her hot chocolate.

“Let’s just say her and Scott needed some alone time.” She laughed at the look on his face.

“Too much info.” He shook his head. “So where does that leave you?”

“Room less and alone.” She pouted.

“I can fix both of those problems.” He smirked.

“I was hoping you could.” She laughed.

“You know you can always come knock on my door…unless there’s a sock on it.” He joked.

“Oh how classy.” She laughed.

“I try.” He said as she placed her cupcake wrapper back on the plate and wiped her hands on her napkin, placing it down. “Done?”

“Yeah, I like sweet but it’s too late. If I finish this all I’ll never sleep tonight.” She laughed getting up and tossing it in the garbage. “Ready to head up?”

“Yup.” He said getting up and following her back to the hotel lobby.

Nick spotted some photographers hanging out in the bar as they walked by. They started snapping pictures as soon as they saw them. Nick smirked and wrapped his arm around Ashley’s waist pulling her into him.

“What are you doing?” She laughed as he pulled her closer.

“They stand here all day and night, might as well give them something to talk about, right?” he laughed pulling away as they got onto the elevator.

“You’re crazy.” She shook her head.

“I just like messing with them.” He shrugged with a laugh as the elevator stopped at their floor. They walked down the hallway to Nick’s room and he unlocked the door letting them in.

“Thanks for letting me stay here tonight.” She said taking a seat on the bed.

“No different from last night…or a few nights before that…or the time before that…or that other time…” he joked.

“Guess I haven’t spent much time in my own room, huh?” she laughed.

“I don’t mind. I like the company.” He smiled finally taking a seat on the bed.

“I mean I guess you’ll have to do.” She teased.

“Thanks, I feel the love.” He shoved her playfully before turning on the TV and skimming the channels.

“So did you have fun at the bar tonight?” she said wanting to keep the conversation going. She wasn’t sure if he realized that the song she sang was about him, but she wanted to know what he thought about it. She was just too scared to come right out and ask though.

“Yeah. It was a really chill place, and the live music was good. It’s nice to get to see other people perform and be in the audience for a change.”

“Yeah.”

“I know I told you already, but you did a great job tonight. You’re really good.” He smiled at her.

“Thanks.” She smiled shyly. “I was ready to kill your sister for making me go up there at first, but I’m glad she did.”

“I am too. You’re really talented.”

“Thanks.” She said taking a leap and just going for it. “What did you think of the song?”

“It was really good.” He smiled. “You’re a great writer. It showed a lot of emotion.”

“Yeah, it’s very bubbly, a nice change to all the heartbreak and I hate you songs I had been writing.” She laughed slightly.

“What changed your mood?” he asked.

“You.” She said without thinking. The second that single word slipped from her mouth she thought she would die. She hadn’t meant to say that, although it was true, and she wasn’t sure if she was ready for him to know that.

Nick was slightly taken aback by her confession. He had secretly hoped that the song was about him, but he thought it was just wishful thinking, especially after she hadn’t taken his own lyrical hint of his feelings. As if reading his mind she broke the silence before he could respond.

“You know. I was listening to that song you sang to me the other night. I never realized what a sad story it was.” She said timidly trying to take the attention off the confession she just let slip out.

“Yeah, well sometimes songs can say a lot.” He said catching her eyes. She bit her lip nervously as he kept his focus on hers.

“And maybe sometimes we just have to really listen to see what someone’s trying to say.” She said quietly.

“Like I think you’re amazing and beautiful.” He said pushing a piece of hair from her eyes.

“Or I can’t stop thinking about you…” her eyes connected with his once more as he slowly leaned into her. She could feel the butterflies rising in her stomach, and as much as she wanted what was about to happen to happen her nerves were getting the best of her and just as his lips came close she turned her cheek.
Chapter End Notes:
thanks to everyone who has added me on twitter so far! you guys are awesome!