- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
yay a new chapter! thank you guys so much for all the AMAZING feedback so far. Please keep it up I love hearing what you guys think!
Chapter 4

AJ groaned as the alarm blared through his room. He took a moment for his eyes to adjust to the little bit of light peeking into his room before turning to silence his alarm. It was five thirty in the morning and the day they left for tour. He stretched and wiped the sleep from his eyes as he dragged himself to the kitchen for his morning coffee. The aroma of coffee beans filled the air as he silently thanked himself for setting the automaker the night before. He grabbed a mug and filled his cup to the brim before walking out side to his deck. The crisp morning air felt good to his lungs as he took a deep breath, looking out over Malibu, as the sun was mid-way through its morning ascent. There was a nervous excitement about him as he thought about getting back up on stage with the boys again. He finished his coffee while enjoying the sunrise and made his way back inside to make sure Ashley was awake. He walked back to the kitchen and grabbed her coffee mug, filling it up for her. Once he made the coffee, he walked up the stairs and knocked lightly on her door. When there was no response he peaked his head in to find her still in bed with the covers pulled high. He sighed and walked into her room placing the coffee mug down on her bedside table.

“Ash, it’s time to wakeup.” He said shaking her lightly.

“Not yet.” She grumbled and pulled the covers up higher.

“The van is coming in thirty minutes, you have to get ready. Come on, I brought you coffee. Time to get up.” He said pulling the covers down from her face.

“Coffee.” She tiredly said, slowly sitting up, her eyes barely open as she reached her hand out.

AJ picked up the mug and handed it to her. She took a few big gulps before fully opening her eyes.

“Thanks.” She said placing the mug back down.

“Where are your bags so I can bring them down?” AJ said as she stood from bed stretching slightly.

“Over there in the corner.” She said reaching for some more coffee. “God why did we have to leave so early?”

“We wanted enough time to relax before the first show tomorrow.” He said grabbing her bags. “Hurry up and get ready so you can eat something before we leave.”

“I’ll eat later.” She grumbled and walked into her closet where she had laid out her clothes the night before.

She quickly got dressed throwing on sweatpants and sandals, wanting to be comfortable on the long plane ride, and made her way downstairs.

“All set?” AJ asked as she walked into the kitchen.

“Yeah.” She sighed refilling her coffee mug.

“Please eat something before we go. It will be after noon when we land in Florida.” He reminded her.

“Fine.” She sighed and grabbed a granola bar from the pantry before tossing a few more into her bag.

“That’s all you’re gonna eat?”

“It’s too early to eat anything else, I’ll get sick.” She said taking a bite the van pulled up outside, honking to let them know it had arrived.

“Just grab my carryon and I’ll bring the suitcases out.” AJ said making his way to the front door.

Ashley grabbed their bags and made her way to the van as the driver helped AJ load the suitcases before they were on their way for the airport.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Ashley sat in a chair in the airport lounge awaiting their time to board. The closer it got for them to leave, the more nervous she became. No matter how many times she flew back and forth she just couldn’t get used to it. She was definitely not looking forward to the six-hour flight to Florida. She turned up her IPod and was just tuning out when there was a tap on her shoulder. She looked to her left and didn’t see anyone behind her. She shook her head, laughing slightly as she turned to her right.

“Hey Nick.” She said pulling one headphone from her ear so she could hear him.

“Good morning.” He smirked as he hopped over the divider and took a seat next to her.

“What’s so good about it?” She asked grouchily.

“Someone’s grumpy this morning.” Nick laughed. “What’s wrong?”

“I just hate flying.” She sighed.

“Why? You fly all the time, it’s no big deal.”

She didn’t respond with words but her look said everything. He thought for a second before remembering about her mom.

“Oh sorry.” He sighed, feeling bad for brining it up.

“It’s ok.” She gave him a slight smile for reassurance. “I’ve gotten better, it’s just taking off and landing freaks me out.”

“You can sit next to me if you want, I’ll try and keep your mind off it.” He offered with a smile.

“Thanks. I don’t wanna bug you though, I’m sure you’ll want to sleep, and I have a tendency to almost break hands.” She laughed slightly.

“Anything is better than Howie.” Nick laughed. “He always falls asleep and drools on me. And don’t worry, I have a strong hand.”

“Ok then, I’ll save you from drool boy.” She laughed.

“Good Morning everyone, we are ready to begin boarding on flight 645 to West Palm Beach, Florida. Please have your tickets out and ready for the gate attendant.” The announcer came over the speakers.

“Guess it’s time to go.” Ashley said taking a deep breath and letting it out slowly as she stood up.

“It’ll be ok, promise.” Nick smiled at her and took her carryon from her hand so she had less to worry about.

They followed the line through gate doors and onto the plane.

“Row twelve.” He said to Ashley who was in front of him before turning to Howie who was behind him. “Yo D, you don’t mind switching with Ashley do you?”

“Nope not at all.” He shrugged and looked for his new seat. “A seat is a seat to me.”

“Thanks.” She smiled at him as she took her seat.

He put their bags overhead and sat next to her as AJ passed by on the way to his seat.

“You’re ditching me?” He said with a slight smile to insure he wasn’t angry.

“I figured I’d give you a break. I know I’m a pain when we fly.” She shrugged.

“Well if you need me, I’m just a few rows back.” He said before starting for his seat once again.

“You guys getting along better?” Nick asked as the flight attendants prepared the safety demonstration.

“I guess. We haven’t really seen each other much in the past few days to really argue so I guess we’ll have to see how things go once we’re stuck together.” She sighed.

“Well, that offer still stands. Any time you need to escape my door’s open.” He smiled at her.

“Thanks.” She said before the pilot came over the speakers to brief them on their flight.

Ashley took a deep breath and let it out slowly as the plane started moving. The sounds of the gears preparing for take off always made her nervous. It sounded as if someone were sawing away at the bottom of the plane. Nick could see the worried look on her face so he took her hand, linking his fingers with hers, and gave a little squeeze for reassurance.

“We’ll be up before you know it.” He said as she plane began picking up speed down the runway.

Ashley held her breath and closed her eyes gripping onto him with one hand and the armrest with the other. She gripped tighter as she felt the plane lift from the ground and into the air. She tried to calm herself down and regulate her breathing as the plane got farther and farther from the ground. With her eyes closed tight she could feel a few tears escape.

“It’s almost over.” Nick said softly in her ear as he wiped away the stay tears with his free hand.

She gave him a little nod still keeping her eyes closed as the plane finally leveled off. She breathed a sigh of relief, finally opening her eyes and loosening her grip on his hand but not letting go.

“I must look like such a loser.” She sighed wiping the last tears from her eyes.

“Hey, everyone is afraid of something. At least you have to guts to face it. Most people would never even get on a plane.” He reminded her.

“Thanks.” She smiled at him. “Hope I didn’t kill your hand.” She laughed a little finally taking her hand back.

“It survived.” He smiled.

“Uhh, I have a headache now.” She sighed rubbing her temples.

“Why don’t you close your eyes and try to sleep? It will make the flight go by a lot faster.” He suggested. “You can put the middle armrest up so you have more room.”

“Good idea.” She said closing her eyes and leaning against the wall. After a few moments of trying to find a comfortable way to sleep, she groaned in frustration opening her eyes again. “I can’t get comfortable. Mind if I borrow your shoulder? I promise I don’t drool like Howie.” She teased with a little laugh.

“It’s all yours.” He laughed patting his shoulder and moving his arm around her so she would be more comfortable.

“Thanks.” She smiled and settled into him. Nick looked down a few minutes later as he felt her breathing steady. It hadn’t taken her long to fall asleep. He studied her face for a moment, smiling to himself as he watched her sleep. He didn’t know what it was about her that intrigued him so much. Maybe it was simply that she wasn’t afraid to be herself with him, and she was gorgeous which didn’t hurt either. But it wasn’t about looks, she was funny and real and genuine. He sighed trying to shake the thoughts out of his head knowing that they could never be more then just friends if he wanted to keep a good relationship with AJ. The last thing he wanted was to cause tension between the group. Deciding not to stress himself out he closed his eyes to try and get some sleep. The next few hours were spent in and out of sleep. He couldn’t seem to get all the thoughts out of his head. He closed his eyes again as a flash went off startling him slightly.

“Sorry!” Leighanne laughed. “I didn’t mean to wake you. You guys just looked so cute, I couldn’t help it.”

“I wasn’t asleep, it’s all good.” He sighed looking down at Ashley who was still sound asleep. The pilot came over the speakers once more announcing that they were starting their decent and would be landing soon. Nick hoped Ashley would stay asleep until they landed so she wouldn’t have to freak out again.


“Hey.” Nick said softly as he shook Ashley lightly. “We’re here.”

“Huh?” she said groggy, still not fully awake.

“We landed.”

“Already?” she said confused sitting up and looking out the window to see they were on ground. “Did I really sleep the whole time?”

“You were out good.” He laughed a little. “I’ll get your bag for you.”

“Thanks.” She said standing, bumping her head on the overhead console. “Ouch.” She pouted rubbing her head.

“Good job.” Nick laughed a little letting her out of the isle ahead of him as he grabbed their bags from above and followed her off the plane.

Everyone gathered just outside of the arrival gate to make sure they were all together before heading for their vans. Their luggage was gathered and they made their way to the hotel. There were a few fans awaiting their arrival and when they finally made it inside they were given their keys and everyone headed their separate ways to relax and unwind from the flight.


Ashley was looking through her suitcase for a bathing suit when she heard a knock on her door. She looked through the peephole and didn’t see anyone. She shrugged it off and went back to her search when there was another knock. Looking again she still didn’t see anyone. The knock came again and she listened closely finally realizing it was coming from the connecting door. She unlocked and opened it to find Nick smiling on the other side.

“Hi neighbor.” He laughed.

“I thought I was going crazy. I kept looking out the regular door and didn’t see anyone.” She laughed. “How’d you know I was next to you?”

“I saw you go in your room before.” He said leaning on the doorway. “I’m bored, you doing anything?”

“I was gonna go sit by the pool for a little. It’s nice and sunny out.” She smiled walking back towards her suitcase.

“Mind if I join you?” he said walking a little farther into her room.

“Of course not.” She smiled finally finding her clothes. “I just need to change.”

“Me too…meet you back in five?” He asked heading for his room.

“Perfect.” She smiled and shut the door.

She got changed into her bikini and a wrap and grabbed her lotion and IPod, ready to go. She opened the door just as Nick was about to knock.

“Ready?” he smiled.

“Yup.” She said as they walked out letting the door close behind them.

They made their way down to the pool; glad to see it wasn’t crowded. They found two loungers and Ashley tossed her things down before taking off her wrap. Nick took the opportunity to look her over as she began putting on sunscreen.

‘Why couldn’t she just be ugly and make my life easier.’ He laughed slightly to himself.

“What?” Ashley raised a brow questionably as she saw him staring at her.

“Nothing. I was just thinking about something.” He said diverting his eyes.

“Right.” She laughed. “Can you get my back?” she asked handing him the lotion.

She pulled her hair to the side as he put some on his hands and began rubbing it in.

“Nice tat.” He said admiring the artwork that rounded her hip.

“Thanks.” She smiled.

“When did you get it?” He stopped for a moment to study it a little. It was a music staff with a few notes surrounded by stardust.

“The second I turned eighteen.” She laughed.

“What does your brother think of it?”

“He’s so proud. He’s the one who took me.” She laughed. “I think he was more excited about it than when I got into college.”

“He would be.” Nick laughed. “Is it an actual song?”

“Yea.” She smiled. “Actually it’s a line from a song I wrote for my mom. The part I got says; my heart won’t let you go and I need you to know, I miss you.”

“That’s really cool. I didn’t know you wrote music.” He smiled at her as he moved on to her lower back. “Somebody’s ticklish.” He teased as Ashley squirmed slightly at his touch.

“Am not.” She lied, feeling goose bumps take over her body.

“Sure about that?” He smirked as he poked her sides causing her to jump away from him.

“Stop right there.” She laughed backing away from him and putting her hands up to try and block him, as he got closer.

“Or what?” He smirked reaching out and grabbing her. He pulled her to him, her back facing him, as he began tickling her.

“Nick stop!” She squealed. “I can’t breath.” She managed to get out through her laughter as she tried to squirm her way out of his grasp with no luck. She squirmed a little harder finally slipping free from his grasp.

“I’m so gonna get you for that.” She said trying to catch her breath.

“You’re just lucky my hands were slippery.” He laughed as he tried to grab her again. She ducked away from him and grabbed the sunscreen aiming the open cover towards him.

“You wouldn’t dare.” He narrowed his eyes as she just grinned and squirted the lotion on his shorts.

“Oops!” She smirked. “Looks like someone got a little too excited.”

“Your gonna get it.” He said going after her. She tried to run but wasn’t quick enough. He grabbed her and threw her over his shoulder heading for the pool.

“You better not!” she said seeing where he was headed. Nick just smirked and kept walking, stopping when he was by the edge.

“Nick don’t you dare!” she said grabbing onto him so he couldn’t throw her in. “I may not have got mad last time but I swear I will kill you!”

“One….two…” he ignored her with a smirk.

“Three!” someone yelled from behind them pushing Nick into the pool.

They both surfaced and turned to see Brian grinning and laughing at them.

“Brian you suck!” Ashley yelled.

“You know you love me.” He gave her a smirk before jumping into the pool. “Cannon ball!”

“Rok, you’re gonna pay for that.” Nick said splashing him.

“Oh yea? You’re gonna have to do better then that!” Brian said splashing him back. The two continued splashing each other as Ashley looked on in amusement.

“I swear the two of you act like five year olds.” She shook her head laughing.

“Three and a half actually.” Brian said with a cheesy grin.

“My bad.” She laughed. “Now if you children would excuse me I need to find a towel.” She swam to the edge and lifted herself out of the pool. Spotting Leighanne by the kiddie pool with Baylee and grabbed a towel and decided to join them.

“You wanna make it any more obvious?” Brian laughed as Nick watched Ashley get out of the pool.

“Huh?” Nick looked at his friend confused.

“If you stared any harder I think you’d go cross eyed” Brian laughed.

“I wasn’t staring.” Nick said trying to lie glancing up slightly again.

“Nick, you might as well have a flashing billboard that says ‘I think Ashley’s hot’.” He laughed.

“I’m really that obvious?” He sighed.

“Only to anyone who knows you good enough.” Brian laughed.

“Not like it matters.” Nick said leaning against the side of the pool.

“Why do you say that?” Brian said moving next to him.

“AJ is dead set against us even being friends. If he knew I liked her he would probably kill me.”

“If you really like her what he thinks shouldn’t matter.” Brian shrugged.

“I just don’t want to start any problems. If we weren’t touring or anything it wouldn’t matter but the last thing we need is to be fighting on the road.” He sighed running a hand through her hair. “But I like hanging out with her. Only problem is the more I get to know her, the more I like her.”

“Well then don’t worry about it now. You guys are friends and like hanging out, there’s no harm in that. If and when it goes further, than that then worry about AJ.”

“I guess you’re right.” Nick shrugged. “I mean I could be getting all worked up for nothing anyway. Just because I like her doesn’t mean she likes me.”

“You’re kidding me right?” Brian laughed. “Not only are you obvious but your oblivious too.”

“What are you talking about?”

“Nothing.” Brian laughed shaking his head as he got out of the pool. “You’ll figure it out eventually.”



“Hey, Leigh.” Ashley smiled taking a seat next to her and waving at Baylee.

“Ashee.” He smiled running over to her to hug her.

“Slow it down, Bay.” Leighanne said to him. “No running by the pool.”

“Sorry mommy.” He smiled going back into the water.

“Have a nice swim?” Leighanne laughed.

“Those boys are evil.” Ashley shook her head. “They have an obsession with throwing people in pools, I swear.”

“You and Nick seem pretty chummy.” She smiled coyly.

“We’ve been hanging out a little.” She shrugged smiling a little.

“And?”

“And what?” Ashley laughed.

“And nothing I guess.” Leighanne laughed. “You two just seemed nice and cozy on the plane.”

“I just needed a shoulder.” She smiled a little. “And he just so happened to have one.”

“Oh come on. I thought I was like your big sister. You can tell me the truth.”

“There really is nothing to tell.” She shrugged a little. “I wish there was, but there isn’t.” She sighed.

“So then you do like him?” Leighanne smiled.

“You of all people know I’ve crushed on him forever.” She laughed. “But I dunno. I don’t think there’s really anything there.”

“Well to me this doesn’t look like there’s nothing.” Leighanne said showing her the picture she had took earlier of them sleeping on the plane. “You guys look so cute together.”

Ashley smiled a little looking at the picture. They did look pretty cute and she hadn’t even realized that Nick had his arms around her. She was about to say something when the boys came over and sat down.

“What you ladies gossiping about?” Brian said in a girls voice with a smirk.

“Nothing.” Ashley said shutting off the camera and handing it back to Leighanne.

“Daddy! Look what I can do.” Baylee called to him as he played around in the water.

“That’s really cool, little man.” He smiled tousling his hair as he came over to him. He whispered something to him quickly before Baylee moved over to Ashley.

“Hi, Ashee.” He said climbing on her lap.

“Hey Bay.” She smiled helping him up.

“You’re really purdy.” He smiled at her.

“Aww thank you sweetie.”

“You think she purdy Nicky?” he said turning his attention to Nick.

“Yes Bay, she’s very purdy.” He laughed a little.

“You like her?” he asked.

“I uhh I…” he struggled to find his words as Ashley turned away blushing.

“Kids, don’t they say the darndest things?” Brian laughed picking Baylee up. “Come on Bay, it’s nap time.”

“No nap!” Baylee pouted.

“Yes nap.” Brian laughed wrapping a towel around him. “Don’t forget about dinner tonight.”

“What time is it?” Ashley said walking back towards their original loungers.

“Eight thirty.” Leighanne said glancing at her watch. “Its only four now so you still have a while.”

“Ok see you then.” She said laying back on her lounger and putting in her headphones.

Nick smiled at her a little, not sure of what to say to her after he had lost his words. He took a seat in the chair next to her and looked over to see her eyes closed. He sighed and leaned back in the chair, hoping he hadn’t upset her by not saying anything.

An hour later, Ashley awoke to the sun beating down on her skin. She checked the time and sat up to wipe off her face with a towel. Pulling her headphones from her ears she turned to her right to see Nick wasn’t there. Looking around she spotted him by the cabanas talking to a blonde girl. He was smiling as the girl laughed flirting and touching his arm. She sighed as she watched them for a moment longer a frown taking over her face. Maybe everything was too good to be true. That girl was more of his type, a tall, ultra skinny, blonde bombshell. She gathered her things, looking over once more hoping Nick would notice she was leaving but he was too pre occupied talking to the girl. She bit her lip and shook off her sadness as she turned away and went back to her room to get ready for dinner that night.