- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

 

Would y'all believe I am currently working on the second last chapter for this story? I can't believe I am so close to being done writing this story! Feels like I just started it-lol. And I assure you, y'all have still got about 5 chapters left to read - 2 of which still need to be written. Enjoy!

Disclaimer: Only own Lena, Matherson’s, & story idea. Everyone else owns themselves & ABC owns Extreme Makeover: Home Edition. Thank-you!

Note: The song is Super Girl by Hannah Montana. 

After sitting there for about twenty minutes, Lena wiped the tears from her eyes and pulled out her cell phone. She dialed a number and pressed the phone to her ear, praying the one she was calling would pick up. She desperately needed some comfort, and there was only one person who could give it – even if it’d have to be just over the phone.

 

“Hey Kiddo,” Ty’s voice came over the phone. “How’s it going?”

 

“Hey,” Lena spoke softly. “How’s L.A.?”

 

“Cooler than usual,” Ty replied. “Which is a good thing. I’m sick of the heat. How’s Kentucky?”

 

“Kentucky’s, well, Kentucky,” Lena answered. “I haven’t seen much of it, really. Been too busy to go anywhere.”

 

“How’s everything going?” Ty asked, curious as to know just how she was doing as team leader. “You still behaving?”

 

Lena went quiet then, trying to think of a way to word it all right. Her projects were coming along nicely, but as for her being a good team leader…well, she wasn’t so sure anymore.

 

 

“Lena?”

 

“My designs are going good,” she said finally. “I’ve only got to design the beds, fabrics and wallpaper. And then get essentials, like the table lamps, and stuff.”

 

“And how’s the rest of the team doing?” Ty wanted to know. “And the house?”

 

“The house looks good,” Lena replied. “I-I’m not sure about the rest of the team though.”

 

“Why aren’t you sure? Have they not been telling you anything?”

 

“No… I kinda forgot to ask,” Lena admitted, her eyes filling up with tears once more. “I can’t do this, Ty! I’m such a horrible leader! You’ve never once forgotten to check on the rest of your team or the house! I don’t even know if we’re behind or ahead of schedule! I locked myself up in my tent and forgot the rest of the world.”


Ty listened a moment, knowing she was on the verge of tears. “Hey, hey, calm down, Kiddo. It’s only day three, there’s still plenty of time to check in with the others. No one’s suggested you’ve been a bad leader. You’re doing fine.”


  

“Not according to Paulie,” Lena choked out. “Everything I do is wrong. He keeps telling me my designs are too complicated and that I’ll never finish them. He’s no faith in me at all, Ty! He keeps coming in here and ruining my good vibes, and makes me feel like I’ll never be a good team leader like you.”


“I’m sure he means well,” Ty insisted. “I know Paulie wouldn’t intentionally hurt your feelings. Have you told him to have faith?”


“I don’t seem to be saying it nice enough,” Lena grumbled. “He frustrates me, and I tell him that, and it’s my bottom that gets smacked for it! I’d like his to get smacked once and see how he feels afterwards!”

 

“Lena Marie, you need to calm down now,” Ty told her. “You know you’re to respect your elders.”

 

“Well, then tell him to give me a chance, instead of constantly coming in here and telling me I’ll never be able to finish my room on time!” Lena exclaimed. “Tell him to trust that I know what I’m doing! Maybe then I won’t get so snippy with him, when he comes waltzing on in here uninvited!”

 

“I’ll talk to him, alright?” Ty sighed. “How’re the others at accepting you as team leader?”

 

“I haven’t seen anyone other than Paulie and Ed,” Lena confessed. “I said I forgot to check in with the team. I only saw Ed momentarily this morning, when I first came off the bus.”

 

“I’m sure everything’s going fine, Kiddo. Why don’t you go around and check on things once we’re done talking,” Ty suggested. “Then maybe Paulie will back off a little. You do need a little more camera time, when you’re team leader. It’s your job to act a little crazy.”

 

“Abigail suggested I run around wearing a cape singing Super Girl by Hannah Montana,” Lena giggled, wiping away the tears that’d manage to slip out. “I told her it sounded fun.”


Ty laughed. “Go for it, Kiddo. I’m sure everyone could use a laugh about now. Just remember your hard hat.”

 

Ty,” Lena groaned. “That’s another thing Paulie keeps harassing me about. I know when to wear my hard hat and goggles. I’ve been around the sites enough by now to have figured that out.”   

 

“He’s just looking out for you, like I asked of him,” Ty pointed out. “He knows I’d be livid if anything were to happen to you.”

 

“And he knows I know that my butt would be roasted thoroughly if I forgot to wear my hard hat,” Lena replied. “I learned that the hard way, remember?”

     

“Yes, I remember,” Ty replied. “Well, I’d better let you go, so you can check up on everyone. I have to be somewhere soon anyways.”

   

“Kay,” Lena sighed. “I-I miss you.”

    

“I miss you too, Kiddo,” Ty reminded her. “Love yah.”

      

“Back at yah, times ten,” Lena laughed. “And then some.”

     

Ty chuckled, knowing how hard it was for her to actually come right out and say those two words. “Get back to work, and let me know how Super Girl makes out.”

        

“I will,” Lena said. “Bye.”

       

She listened as Ty hung up, heaving a huge sigh of relief. He wasn’t mad at her – that lifted a huger weight off her shoulders. Though, it wasn’t really like she’d done anything all that horrible to begin with. Her and Paulie usually clashed after a few days on site, though she loved him and vice versa.

    

She pocketed her phone once more, then headed on out to check on her team, soon as she was sure no one would be able to tell she’d been crying. Crying made her weak, and she refused to cry in front of anyone but Ty, if she could help it. Sometimes there was no controlling the situation, or her emotions.

    

No sooner had she exited her tent, than had she walked into Paige – literally.

  

“Hey, there you are!” Paige smiled. “I was just coming to tell you, that a local university has offered to give scholarships to the girls. I thought you might like to help me surprise the family.”

    

“Sure!” Lena smiled. “I can do that. I’d just hafta get the camera off the bus.”

        

“I’ll go with you,” Paige said. “I wanted to tell you how my designs were coming along anyway.”

 

“I was just coming out to check on everyone,” Lena replied softly. “I kinda forgot to do that.”

 

“Hey, no worries,” Paige told her. “It’s your first time as leader; nobody ever does it perfectly the first time.”

 

“I bet Ty did,” Lena sighed as they reached the bus and climbed aboard. “Ty does everything perfectly.”

 

Paige laughed. “Kiddo, trust me when I say, he made a few mistakes his first time too. And you only think he does things perfectly, because you idolize him so much.”

 

“Really? He messed up too?” Lena asked, not denying the fact she idolized the man who had taken her in. “What’d he do?”

 

“Same thing as you,” Paige stated, as she found the camera they were looking for. “He holed himself up in one of the tents and kept on building. It was Paulie who reminded him to go out and check in with everyone.”

 

“Yeah, good old Paulie,” Lena muttered sarcastically.

 

“I’m guessing you two had a run in,” Paige smirked, knowing how the young girl tended to get under the older man’s skin at times. “But don’t let him get you down. I’m sure you’ll end up doing a wonderful job.”

 

“Thanks,” Lena replied gratefully.

 

“Now, let’s make that video for the family and send it on its way,” Paige insisted, nudging the younger girl playfully. “Then you can go on out there and go crazy.”

 

“Let’s get crazy, get up and dance….” Lena sang jokingly.

 

Paige laughed. “You and your Hannah Montana. I swear if you’re not semi-singing her stuff, then it’s the Backstreet Boys.”

 

Lena grinned. “Well, of course! What else is there to semi-sing?”

 

They both smiled as Paige got the camera set up. Once it was on, she aimed it at them both.

 

“Hello Matherson family!” They cheered.

 

“Paige here, has some exciting news to tell you,” Lena chirped, smiling into the camera. “Trust me when I say, you’re going to love this!”

 

“Hi!” Paige said into the camera. “I’ve been talking to the local colleges and universities, and Brantford University has offered something incredible! They’re going to give full scholarships to all five girls! You’re all going to get to go to University and learn whatever your heart desires!”

 

“That’s amazing! Best of luck girls!” Lena added, as her and Paige both waved. “Hope you’re having a fantastic time at Disneyland!”

 

They turned the camera off then, and Paige set to work on getting it ready to send out to the family. Lena, on the other hand, decided to go check on her team and stir things up a bit.

 

She found her little boom box, and popped her Hannah Montana CD into it. She then grabbed a blanket for the back room of the bus, and tied it around her neck. She smirked at Paige, then ran off to find the camera crew, so they could add her craziness to the show.

 

Soon enough, Lena was running around with her hard hat and blanket on, as Super Girl by Hannah Montana blared from her little stereo.

 

Snap my fingers just like that
Don’t get what I want and that’s a fact

Snap my fingers just like that

Don’t get what I want (just ‘cause I want it)
                    

“Heya Michael!” Lena chirped, as she paused her CD. “What’s up?”                    

Michael laughed, as he eyed her get up. “Decided to take on some of Ty’s craziness, I see.”                    

“You better believe it!” Lena grinned wickedly. “So how’s Lauren’s room coming along?”                    

“Everything’s going good. I’ve already picked out the bed, and the tables, and the other furniture for it,” Michael said. “Now all I have to do is pick out the fabric and a few other things to make the room pop!”                    

“Awesome!” Lena enthused. “I’m glad everything’s going according to plan.”                    

“Me too,” Michael agreed. “Have fun, Lena.”                    

“I will!” Lena smirked, turning her CD on once more.                    

“She’s a good kid,” Michael told the camera, as Lena’s song blared from her stereo. 

I'm super cool
Super hot

Livin’ like a rock star

You think I'm super

You think I'm super
                    

Next, she called up Ed and John, since she couldn’t exactly drive over to where they were re-building the shelter that’d burned down.                     

“Hello?”                    

“Hey Johnny!” Lena exclaimed. “How’s the shelter coming along? Figured I’d call y’all, since I can’t exactly drive over there, without ending up in trouble.”                    

John laughed/ “Everything’s going great here. No worries, Kiddo. Ed, the team, and I have everything under control.”                    

“Okay!” Lena replied. “I’m trusting y’all on this. Call me if you need anything!”                    

“Will do,” John promised. “Bye Kiddo.”                    

“Bye Johnny!”                    

Lena hung up her phone, and smiled at the camera. “Well, thanks to speaker phone, you guys know all is going good so far. Let’s go find Jim and Sean, and see how the actual house is coming along.” 

On the cover of your magazine
Wherever I go they make a scene

I'm super, super! I'm super duper!
                    

Soon enough, she found the head of her construction team. She hurried on over to them, waving her cape as she ran.                    

“Jim! Sean! How’s everything?” Lena queried. “Are we on schedule?”                    

“Everything’s going fantastic!” Jim answered with a smile. “The crew is doing well, and everyone’s in good spirits.”                    

“Everything’s going so well, we’re actually four hours ahead of schedule,” Sean added. “The house will definitely be ready for the Matherson’s when they come home Saturday.”                    

“Sweet!” Lena exclaimed. “Keep up the awesome work, y’all!”                    

Jim and Sean chuckled, as they watched the young girl run off, her ‘cape’ billowing out behind her. 

So you wanna be just like
So you wanna be just like

Think you wanna be just like me
                    

As she ran about, she bumped into Paige again – only, not literally this time.                    

“Hey! I forgot to ask how Becca and Rachel’s room was coming along,” Lena laughed. “Guess I was too excited to blare some music and run around like a maniac.”                    

Paige laughed as well. “It’s all good. Things are going just wonderful. We’ve got the beds made, and the night tables, and the fabrics picked out. We just have to build the little desks and a couple other things I want to give them.”                    

“I’m glad all’s going well,” Lena said honestly. “Well, I’m off!”                    

Paige watched her go, then got back to what she’d been doing. 

Everybody's watching me
It's never as easy as it seems

To be super, super

(To be super, super girl)
                    

Finally she found Paul, stopping just before running into him. She grinned up at him, as he raised his eyebrows at her, while she paused the CD again.                    

“You said I should check in with everybody,” Lena reminded him. “So how’s Krystal’s room coming?”                    

“Well, we’ve gotten the bed done,” Paul replied, as he waved a hand towards the team in blue that was helping him. “Now we just have to get everything else built, and we’ll be good to go.”                    

“Looks good Paulie!” Lena praised. “Keep up the good work!”   

Paul shook his head as she ran off blaring her song once more. “She’s just like Ty.”