- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

It worked! It worked! *screams & jumps for joy* If you're wondering just what it was that worked - the spacing! Last time I went to post, html screwed everything up, then the site decided to quit on me after I'd spent an hour trying to fix the spacing. Anyways, on with the story! Enjoy!

Disclaimer: Only own Lena, Mathersons, Timbers Construction, & story idea. ABC owns Extreme Makeover: Home Edition, & everyone else owns themselves.

Song Disclaimers: 'Change' is written by Katrina Elam, Josh Kear, and Chris Tompkins. Sung by Carrie Underwood. 'Larger Than Life' & 'Lose It All' belong to the Backstreet Boys. Thanks!

 

 

It was the evening of day six – also the evening of the benefit concert Lena had suggested the night before. Everyone had agreed, and since the Backstreet Boys were already there, all they had to do was get the Backstreet band there, and set up a stage for their performance.  

 

            The furniture had all mostly been moved in, and they were going to finish moving the rest in a little later, since they were still ahead of schedule.

 

 Lena’s room now had wallpaper, which had been worked on all day, with plenty of help, as she’d caved and requested it. All that was left to do were the finishing touches, and those could wait just a little longer – they’d a concert to do!

 

            The stage was set and the Backstreet Boys were ready to perform for everyone who’d showed up to support the Matherson family. The only one not ready at all, was Lena. She was a nervous wreck, though no one but Brian and Nick knew why.

 

            “Hey Kiddo, how’s it going?” Brian asked, placing a hand upon her shoulder as he came up from behind her. “You ready for this?”

 

            Lena gulped nervously. “What if…what if you guys sang a bit first? Then I could go on later?”

 

            “If you’d like,” Brian shrugged. “You can go on whenever you want. This is your concert, technically.”

 

            Lena gave a small laugh. “I’m not the main attraction. They showed up to see y’all and help the family. I’m a nobody, technically.”

 

            “Kid, you’re definitely not a nobody,” Nick commented, coming to stand on the other side of her. “You’ve a few fans out there yourself.”

 

            Lena shrugged, not so sure of that. “Well, I’d better get out there and introduce y’all. Can’t keep the fans waiting.”

 

            “But aren’t…” Nick trailed off, as he caught Brian’s eye. “Oh. Okay.”

 

            Lena eyed them both curiously. “Y’all got weird connections,” she smiled. “If my best friend and I ever learn to talk to one another with our eyes, I think we’d be as good as friends as y’all.”

 

            “Go on,” Brian smiled, nudging her towards the stage. “Fans are chanting.”

 

            Lena giggled, as she hurried on out onto the stage, in her blue jeans and Backstreet Boys hoodie. “Good afternoon, Lexington!”

 

            The crowd cheered, as they figured the concert to now be starting. Many fans had showed up just to see the Backstreet Boys mostly, but also to help out the Matherson family.

 

            “We’ve a special treat for y’all today,” Lena continued. “I’m sure by now you all know the story of the Matherson family and how they lost someone very dear to them. Well, the Backstreet Boys heard their story and came here to help them out. Needless to say, the family was as excited as I was to see them!”

 

            Lena giggled some then, as she thought back to how she’d reacted upon seeing the Boys. “Anyways, I guess I’d best let them out onto this stage before y’all start a riot or something. Here are the Backstreet Boys!”

 

            The crowd cheered enthusiastically, going absolutely crazy for the group they’d all come to see. Moments after Lena ran off the stage the Backstreet Boys came running on out, causing their audience to scream even louder than they had before.

 

I may run and hide

When you’re screaming my name

Alright

 

            Brian began singing immediately, as him and the other three began to dance.

 

But let me tell you now

There are prices to fame

Alright

 

            Nick continued, grinding his body to the music, causing most the fans to go nuts. He smirked, as they began the chorus.

 

All you people

Can’t you see, can’t you see?

How you’re love’s affecting our reality

Every time we’re down

You can make it right

And that makes you

Larger than life

 

            The concert continued on, as the crowd placed money in baskets that were being passed around or where Paige sat with a donation bin. So far, everything was becoming overflowed quickly and the baskets were being returned to Michael, who was putting the money into a safe spot. They also had the police there to keep things in order and to ensure nobody tried to steal the money being raised for the family.

 

            About halfway through the show, Brian stopped unexpectedly right in the middle of a song. Howie and A.J. eyed him in confusion, though Nick smirked, as he knew what his best friend was up to.

 

            “Okay, I don’t know about y’all, but I need a break,” Brian began, eying his band mates. “I think it’s high time someone else came up here and sang instead. What do you think, Frack?”

 

            “I totally agree, Frick,” Nick nodded, as he spotted someone in the crowd who was technically not supposed to be there. “I say we let someone else have the spotlight for a bit.”

 

            “What are you guys up to now?” Howie asked, eying them curiously.

 

            “It can’t be good if you two are behind it,” A.J. teased. “What prank have you planned now?”

 

            “Relax, it wasn’t even our idea,” Nick insisted.

 

            “Yeah, so you’ve nothing to worry about,” Brian grinned. “Okay audience, who’s ready for someone else to take over?”

 

            “Boo!” The fans voiced their complaints.

 

            “Now, now, no need to boo,” Brian told them. “This person is nervous enough as is, and already asked to be moved back – they were supposed to be our opening act.”

 

            “Yeah, now c’mon! Show some love for Lena Pennington!” Nick exclaimed, waving for the young girl to come back up on stage. “Don’t make me have to come get you, Lena.”

 

            “I know how to walk Nicky,” Lena replied, as she stole Howie’s microphone. “Though, a ride is always welcomed.”

 

            Nick smirked, raising his eyebrows at her. “Maybe later, Kiddo.”

 

            Lena shook her head, as she moved to stand at the front of the stage. She eyed the crowd uneasily, suddenly not so sure about her decision to sing what she’d written. Yes, she loved to be the center of attention and on camera all the time – but when it came to singing, well, she was rather shy; which was why she only ever semi-sang anything when other people were around. If she managed to do this, she’d definitely be stepping out of her comfort zone.

 

              “You can do this,” Nick told her, not bothering to use his microphone, as he only meant for her to hear anyway. “There’s no need to be scared.”

 

            “Just close your eyes, take a deep breath, and sing,” Brian added, as he too held his microphone away from him so no one else would hear.  “Go for it, Kiddo. Now’s your chance.”

 

            Lena gulped nervously, finally bringing the microphone up so people could hear her.

 

            “Um… I’d like to sing something I wrote this week. I hope y’all like it,” she squeaked, casting a glance over at the band who already had the sheet music.

 

             She watched as the Backstreet Boys quickly vacated the stage, silently wishing they’d come back and not leave her standing there all by her lonesome. The music began, and after swallowing one last gulp, she began to sing.

 

Whatcha gonna do with the 36 cents

Sticky with coke on your floorboard

When a woman on the street is huddled in the cold

On a side-walk vent trying to keep warm

 

            Lena blushed a little bit, as she realized she was a bit pitchy and her nerves were getting the best of her. Figured she’d go and ruin her one moment to shine in the limelight.

 

Do you call her over, hand her the change

Ask her, her story, ask her, her name

Or do you tell yourself

 

            Lena took a deep breath, closed her eyes, and cast her nerves aside, putting more power into her voice. With her eyes closed, she didn’t see the look of surprise on everyone’s faces.

 

You’re just a fool

Just a fool, to believe you can change the world

You’re just a fool

Just a fool, to believe you can change the world

 

            She opened her eyes once more, as she began to move around the stage a little bit.

 

Oh, Whatcha gonna do when you’re watching T.V.

And an ad comes on, yeah you know the kind

Flashing up pictures of a child in need

For a dime a day, you could save a life

 

            She reached out into the crowd as she sang the next part.

 

Do you call the number, reach out a hand

Or do you change the channel, call it a scam

Or do you tell yourself

 

            She looked out at everyone, as she continued on, her nerves now gone.

 

You’re just a fool

Just a fool, to believe you can change the world

Don’t listen to ‘em when they say

You’re just a fool

Just a fool, to believe you can change the world

 

Oh, the smallest thing can make all the difference

Love is alive, don’t listen to ‘em when the say

You’re just a fool

Just a fool, to believe you can change the world

 

            She sang into the one camera next, her feelings clearly displayed upon her face.

 

The world’s so big it can break your heart

And you just want to help, not sure where to start

So you close your eyes, and send a prayer up into the dark

 

You’re just a fool

Just a fool, to believe you can change the world

Don’t listen to ‘em when they say

You’re just a fool

Just a fool, to believe you can change the world

 

Oh, the smallest thing can make all the difference

Love is alive, don’t you listen to ‘em when they say

You’re just a fool

Just a fool, to believe you can change the world

 

            Lena finished the song to thunderous applause. She blushed crimson, not believing she just sang in front of the world.

 

            “Thank-you,” she spoke softly, unaware that someone had walked on stage and was currently standing there watching her. “I’m glad y’all like it.”

 

            “It was wonderful, Kiddo,” the person spoke, causing her to whirl around in surprise.

 

            “TY!” Lena screamed, dropping her microphone and running for him. God, how she had missed him this week! “What’re you doing here?!?”

 

            “Surprise,” Ty laughed, catching her as she leapt at him, and hugging her close. “I got a little phone call from two people who were supposed to be keeping this secret.”

 

            “Well, I’m glad they blabbed,” Lena laughed, squealing slightly, as she hugged him once more. “I missed you!”

 

            Everyone there watched as she literally hung off Ty. It wasn’t often she was so open about her affection for the man who had taken her in, when he didn’t have to do so.

 

            Ty chuckled, as he carried her off the stage, so the Boys could take over once more. He was glad they’d blabbed her secret to him too, or he would’ve missed out on her very first performance ever.

 

            “So I take it the house is almost done,” he commented. “I mean, since you’re having a concert and everything.”

 

            “Still ahead of schedule,” Lena nodded. “So I found a good way to use that little extra bit of time. Though, this concert will only kill about an hour or an hour and a half, so we’ll still be ahead of everything.”

 

            “Looks like you’re doing a great job, Kiddo,” Ty smiled. “I told you, you would.”

 

            Lena smiled in return. “And I’m glad you had faith. Paulie is finally starting to have some too, I think. He told me this morning I was doing a good job as team leader.”

 

            Ty ruffled her hair as she beamed up at him. “So do I get to see this room of yours?”

           

            “Nope,” Lena shook her head. “Abigail gets first viewing, then the family. You can wait to see it on T.V. like everyone else.”

 

            “They don’t show everything on T.V. though,” Ty reminded her. “I want to see it all, and get the full experience of a Lena Pennington design.”

 

            Lena giggled. “Well, maybe you can help us carry in some lamps and stuff. The wallpaper’s finished though, thank God.”

 

            “And the rest of the house?”

 

            “I think we got most the stuff moved in earlier,” Lena replied. “And if not, well, that’s what this evening is for and all of tomorrow, until the family arrives. I said we were way ahead.”

 

            “Lenaaaa,” Nick called her via his microphone. “We need you onstage. We’ve a surprise for you.”

 

            “For me?” Lena repeated, looking at Ty in confusion.

 

            Ty shrugged. “I just got here in time to see you sing.”

 

            Lena shrugged in return, then headed out onto the stage once more.

 

            “Yes, Nicky? You called?”

 

            Nick smirked. “Come sing with us.”

 

            “Really?” Lena exclaimed. “You want me to sing with you?”

 

            “That’s what he said, isn’t it?” A.J. laughed.

 

            Lena poked her tongue out at the tattooed rebel, as she moved closer to Nick.

 

“What’re we going to sing?”

 

“What song do you want to sing?” Howie asked her, knowing this wasn’t exactly their entire surprise. They’d something else up their sleeves as well.

 

“Um… Lose It All?” Lena suggested. “I like that one. Kevin’s part rocks!”

 

“You heard her,” Brian told the band, who immediately began to play the song.

 

“You sing the chorus with us, and Kevin’s part,” Nick told her. “You can be Kevin today.”

 

“Sweet!” Lena giggled.

 

They sang the song perfectly, and finally it was Lena’s turn to sing Kevin’s part – the part she loved best.

 

Don’t change a thing

You’re perfect as you are

 

Time has a way

And time is all I’ve got

 

            Lena’s eyes went wide as saucers, as she heard a voice join her in singing – a voice she had never expected to hear! She turned, her jaw dropping open in shock, as she spotted Kevin Richardson walking out on stage.

 

If my heart should shatter watching you

There’ll be one less thing I have to prove

 

            Kevin finished singing his part, and smiled at her, though she’d stopped singing. He winked at her, then whispered to her quietly.

 

            “Keep singing. Don’t stop on my account.”

 

            Lena gave a small laugh, mixed with a small squeal. What luck! Kevin had showed up for the concert! Boy, were the Matherson’s ever going to be surprised! Even more than when it was just four Backstreet Boys – now they had all five!

 

And if I’d lose it all

There’ll be nothing left to lose

And I would take the fall

‘Cause knowing that you are out there breathing

It’s so wonderful

It’s a chance I’ll take

Even if I break and

Lose it all

Lose it all

It wouldn’t matter anyway

 

            Once the song was over, Lena began squealing and jumping some more. This day just couldn’t get any better, even if it tried! She was ecstatic, and happier than she’d ever been in her life! Well, other than when Ty finally decided to adopt her, that is.

 

            “Well, that’s our show folks!” Lena told the audience, once she’d calmed down some. “We’d like to thank y’all for coming out and supporting the Matherson family. We can never thank you enough for all the help we’ve received. Thank-you Lexington, for welcoming us with open arms! And thank-you so very much for everything you’ve done to help out the Matherson’s! We love you all and hope you’ve a good night!”

 

            Soon everyone in blue was back to working on the house, while Lena and Paige sat on the bus, counting the money that’d been raised for the family. Paige, because she’d been put in charge of the money, and Lena because she’d been told to get ready for bed – and with Ty there, there was no way she was going to protest those orders. Besides, she enjoyed spending time with Paige.

 

            “So, how much did we make?” Lena asked, stifling a yawn. It was rather late in the evening now, as it’d taken awhile to get the stage down and the rest of the furniture into the house. “Did we make enough for them to go back to Disneyland?”

 

            “We’ve made enough for them to go to Disneyland as much as they’d like for a little while,” Paige laughed. “Seems Backstreet fans, and the people of Lexington are quite generous.”

 

            “Us fans have got to stick together,” Lena told her matter-of-factly. “It’s what we do. It’s why Backstreet fans are the best in the world.”

 

            “I won’t argue with you there,” Paige smiled. “But only because I happen to know one of those fans personally.”

 

            Lena smiled back at her. “Besides, Lexington is the hometown of two of the Backstreet Boys – it’d look bad if people didn’t show up for the concert.”

 

            Paige shook her head. “I bet you used that to its full advantage too.”

 

            “You better believe it!” Lena smirked. “I know how to work people.”

 

            “Well, work on them in the morning,” Ty spoke as he boarded the bus. “It’s time for bed.”

 

            Lena scowled, though she didn’t argue. She was tired, and she had promised Brian and Nick she wouldn’t deprive herself of sleep anymore.

 

            “Oh, all right,” she grumbled slightly. “But I’m not happy about it.”

 

            “I never said you had to be happy about it,” Ty replied. “Just that you had to get to bed. You’ll want to be up early tomorrow, if I know you.”

 

            “Yeah, yeah,” Lena waved him off. “Night Paige. And thanks for counting the money with me.”

 

            “Night,” Paige told her, as she put all the money back into the bus safe. “Have fun Ty.”

 

            Ty smiled at her as she left the bus, then locked the doors so they wouldn’t be disturbed. He wasn’t as tired as Lena, but he did want to spend some alone time with her. And he knew he’d never get that if she stayed out there helping, as she’d be clinging to the Backstreet Boys some more.

 

            “So, Kiddo, what movie do you want to watch?” He questioned, as he joined her in the backroom, where she was already curled up on the couch. “Your pick.”

 

            Lena smiled tiredly. “Ninja Turtles is good. I think it’s still in the DVD player.”

 

            Ty nodded and joined her on the couch, hitting the play button.

 

            Lena switched positions, so she could lean against Ty instead of the arm of the couch.

 

            “You make a much better pillow,” she commented, as she curled up against him. “I’m glad you’re here.”

 

            “I’m glad too,” Ty answered, draping an arm over her. “Now, hush. The movie’s starting.”