Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Author Topic: Short Story Ideas  (Read 2085 times)

honey

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Being Jamie Baker Website
Short Story Ideas
« on: April 18, 2008, 08:46:49 PM »

Ok, since there hasn't been too much writing chatter around these boards lately, I've thought of a topic I'd love to hear some thoughts on.

Writing short stories. It seems impossibly hard. Lets say you have to write a short story and you have a 2000 word limit, how do you go about coming up with an idea? How do you tell an entire story in 2000 words? Is there a trick to it? Are there ideas that work better than others? And if you just write about like a specific moment, ie your first day at school, or your first kiss, or the day your dog died... are those considered complete stories?

I only ask because I was thinking about writing an essay for the annual writers digest competition because I have a cute idea. But then it got me thinking that it might be fun to write a short story too, and I realized that I have no idea how I would do that.

Anyway, I do it for the challenges all the time, but I'm basing it all around a picture then or I'm using the BSB which are characters that we all already know. How do you write an original short story, that introduces new characters, has a plot, and is a complete story all in 2000 words? Ideas? Suggestions?
If Ryan looked at me the wrong way, I lost it. If Ryan looked at me the right way, I lost it. And whenever he tried to kiss me, something usually blew up. Someone ought to teach him a little control.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
Re: Short Story Ideas
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2008, 09:36:53 PM »

I think short stories are hard too.  I went through a phase where I liked to write them, but now it seems too hard to tell a good story in only a few pages.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2008, 10:04:13 PM »

I LOVE writing short stories. Maybe it's because I have such a short attention span lol but I love the challenge of creating a full idea out of a scene. I try to leave my shorts open ended so if I want to I can always go back and add more.

Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Fool, said my Muse, look in thy heart and write
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2008, 10:53:06 PM »

I don't like writing short stories because my brain works on epic proportions. lol
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

From "And Now, Deep Thoughts" by Jack Handey

kristy_05_88

• Fledgling
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2008, 11:24:01 AM »

I don't like writing short stories because my brain works on epic proportions. lol

For me too. I like writing them, but I don't have many. Every time I set out to write a short story, it turns into like 300 pages.

Kagoma

• Major Disruption
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2008, 11:32:54 AM »

I had to write a short story for class yesterday. Its okay when you do it to just mess around. But if you have to do it when you don't want to, its hard as hell.

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Fool, said my Muse, look in thy heart and write
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2008, 12:30:55 PM »

For me too. I like writing them, but I don't have many. Every time I set out to write a short story, it turns into like 300 pages.

Three hundred pages isn't bad.... That's still pretty short...
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

From "And Now, Deep Thoughts" by Jack Handey

kristy_05_88

• Fledgling
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2008, 03:41:23 PM »

Three hundred pages isn't bad.... That's still pretty short...

True. LOL But I have some that are really long.  :D