Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Just wondering...  (Read 5507 times)

rebellious_one

• Commander of Confusion
  • I have no idea what I'm getting myself into
Just wondering...
« on: April 20, 2008, 10:36:21 PM »

So, with all this talk about about the boys and how they are portrayed, accurately or inaccurately, in stories, I was wondering... has anyone ever found themselves to be just like the character they portray in stories?! Like, have you ever wrote Kevin or Howie to be a specific way, and find yourself to be just like them (like the way you wrote them)?

In other words... in fanfic, which boy are you most like?! With the accurate or inaccurate portrayals, who best represents you?! And if you can't answer that question, have you ever written a character (or one of the guys) based off of your characteristic s?! Do you find yourself "representing" a character?! Am I making sense with this question?! Lol.
"Stories are often the lives we wish we could live."
~Me

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Fool, said my Muse, look in thy heart and write
    • Could You Do Me Right?
Re: Just wondering...
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2008, 10:44:15 PM »

I'm going to guess that what you're trying to ask is "do you put yourself into your characters?" And I feel like every writer has to, since most writing is straight from the heart and writer's own experiences. I can't say that any character I've ever written is necessrily me and only me, but there are parts of me in every character.

The character I like best is one for an original story I wrote/am thinking about starting again; I based that character on my best friend.

It can be easier to create a character when you have a suitable model, and that may be the drawback of fanfic...
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

From "And Now, Deep Thoughts" by Jack Handey

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2008, 11:01:13 PM »

In My Happy Ending I based Nick off of myself quite a bit, without even realizing it.  He's pretty rash and does a lot of things without thinking... and he worries way way waaay too much, which ultimately ending up getting him into some trouble with Ashleigh.  I reread this and I though "whoa... Nick is me." lol
~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell

rebellious_one

• Commander of Confusion
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2008, 11:16:59 PM »

I'm going to guess that what you're trying to ask is "do you put yourself into your characters?"

Haha, yah... I'm kinda asking a slew of questions that relates to that overall question. There were moments where I'll be reading a story, and can just relate to the character based off characteristic s or experience, so I was just wondering if there was a guy or a character that people feel best represents them, whether they're writers or readers, and as well as that question... if people put themselves into their characters.
~Me

rebellious_one

• Commander of Confusion
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2008, 11:18:43 PM »

In My Happy Ending I based Nick off of myself quite a bit, without even realizing it.  He's pretty rash and does a lot of things without thinking... and he worries way way waaay too much, which ultimately ending up getting him into some trouble with Ashleigh.  I reread this and I though "whoa... Nick is me." lol

Haha, yah... I've had those moments as well, where I'll write specific details about a character, later realizing that that character represents me in so many ways, not like I was aiming for it to be that way of course, lol.
~Me

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2008, 11:37:24 PM »

I've always felt that writing is a form of acting because you have to get yourself into the characters frame of mind in order to write them.  My friend Amanda knew when I was writing certain characters because of what or how I would talk about things after I was writing. Not saying I would act like the characters but my frame of mind was still there. Don't know if that exactly makes sense.

I don't think every character I've written has a bit of me, but I do use other characters or people as reference for my characters, but quite a few of them have my some trait of mine.

Out of the boys in the stories I've written I don't think I've see myself in them too much because the characters opposite usually have some trait or another from me.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2008, 11:39:00 PM by Purpura Lipstick »
- Purpura -
   -Lore-

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2008, 02:11:17 AM »

Well lets see...I never put all of me in a character. But I think every author puts some of themselves in the story, and some of the character into them. It's like a blend almost on both sides. Cause you have to get into their head, and they end up in yours a little.

And I think I sound crazy now lol.

Different aspects of me go into different characters. Me, I have a few examples: Cally (from Just Another Day) admittedly got the most of any character I've written. But she's way too...much of a people pleaser lol. I am very outspoken haha, and never could be like that. And she has too many confidence issues. Kayden (from Rehab) got my outspoken side lmao, only exaggerated cause I don't punch someone when I'm pissed lmao. And Pearl from 00Carter got my sense of humor. So, no author should make the character completely them. But some should go in, cause the story in the end is part of you...and you write what you know.

Actually none of me goes into my BSB characters though. I base Nick off my best friend, who Nick actually reminds me of and vise versa. So my Nick is a blend of what I see of him in real life, and of my best friend Chris. Ironically enough a lot of people tell me I portray Nick really well and how they think he might really be lol. So, it works.

Many of my characters are based off people I know in real life hehe. I tell my friends if I ever get published they'll be famous. :)
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

honey

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Being Jamie Baker Website
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2008, 02:14:59 AM »

actually I think that is a really good question and I know I for one do it all the time. Brian in my latest story, Movie, is a LOT like me. I think we all do it a little. Like Dee said, you kind of have to put a little bit of yourself into your characters. I think that's why we can all write Nick, but he will always come out a little bit different. I think we all identify with them in different ways because we tend to see the similarities they have with us personally.
If Ryan looked at me the wrong way, I lost it. If Ryan looked at me the right way, I lost it. And whenever he tried to kiss me, something usually blew up. Someone ought to teach him a little control.

Kagoma

• Major Disruption
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2008, 07:27:48 AM »

In 'Attack of the fifty foot Howie' the dialogue is based on what I say on a regular daily bases. I say some really random morbid, messed up things.

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Fool, said my Muse, look in thy heart and write
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2008, 04:37:00 PM »

I am very outspoken haha, and never could be like that.

I think this hit t he nail on the head, Rose dear. lol
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

From "And Now, Deep Thoughts" by Jack Handey

VeeLynn

• Innocent Bystander
    • Dragon Age: Into The Fire
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2008, 11:16:38 AM »

Hmm with me, I think I do with AJ.  I think it's because we both have the perverted mind set and I know what it's like to be treated different because certain people think your not normal or don't look normal.
The writer formally known as ScoobieGang. :D

rebellious_one

• Commander of Confusion
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2008, 04:44:08 PM »

I can totally relate to ya Vickers. *gives hug* But hell, we're proud to not be normal!! ;D Is that why AJ is our fave?! Lol.
~Me

VeeLynn

• Innocent Bystander
    • Dragon Age: Into The Fire
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2008, 07:33:00 PM »

I can totally relate to ya Vickers. *gives hug* But hell, we're proud to not be normal!! ;D Is that why AJ is our fave?! Lol.

I dunno, cause technically I'm a Kevin girl.  But he's being a GroundHog right now.  I think with AJ it has something to do with me being 2 years from 30 and hitting my sexual peek.  ;) maybe. Boy's so damn hot, hard to tell.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2008, 07:34:39 PM by Scoobiegang »
The writer formally known as ScoobieGang. :D

rebellious_one

• Commander of Confusion
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2008, 07:47:29 PM »

Haha, I remember reading one of Mare's stories (forget which one) and having this connection with Kevin, lol. I just remember reading it and seeing myself within the character.

But what is this sexual drive and AJ?! :P Lol.
~Me

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2008, 08:13:20 PM »

I tend to put myself into the boys characters particularly Nick lol not always and not totally but there are definite similarities.
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green
Pages: [1] 2 3