Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: What's in a name?  (Read 16853 times)

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
Re: What's in a name?
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2008, 02:07:22 PM »

I love the name Jack too.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Fool, said my Muse, look in thy heart and write
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2008, 10:31:12 AM »

^You would. ;)
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

From "And Now, Deep Thoughts" by Jack Handey

Steph

• Minion of Mayhem
  • Trying to forget; the pain's still there.
    • Facebook
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2008, 12:59:01 PM »

Well, for Every Breath You Take... I created that in high school, so names weren't as forthcoming. I thought of the name Alicia and Melissa... so you combine them and bang! Melicia!

Dean & Sam Winchester.
Hunters. Protectors. Survivors. Family.

Steph

• Minion of Mayhem
    • Facebook
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2008, 01:06:54 PM »

I like the name Jack as well, but if I ever watch Titanic I hear Kate Winslet say "Jack? Jack? Jack, there's a boat! Jack!" and then she loosens his grip on her hands, saying "I'll never let go. I promise" and as he drifts under water, she says again, "I'll never let go."

I just saw this movie a week or so ago, so give me a break, haha.

Dean & Sam Winchester.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2008, 02:40:05 PM »

I could quote Titanic all day long; it never gets old. :D
~Julie

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2008, 02:41:53 PM »

Well, for Every Breath You Take... I created that in high school, so names weren't as forthcoming. I thought of the name Alicia and Melissa... so you combine them and bang! Melicia!

Or Alissa... which, in fanfics, is usually spelled Alyssa cause that y is so much kewler.  But Melicia is unique.
~Julie

Steph

• Minion of Mayhem
    • Facebook
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2008, 03:20:32 PM »

Or Alissa... which, in fanfics, is usually spelled Alyssa cause that y is so much kewler.  But Melicia is unique.
The y can be a kewl word, however, sometimes it's taken too far. A friend of mine used to make the most outlandish names. A y would most certainly be in it!

Thanks. Sometimes I want to go back and change it, but that is just way too much work, LOL.

Dean & Sam Winchester.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2008, 03:22:45 PM »

The y can be a kewl word, however, sometimes it's taken too far. A friend of mine used to make the most outlandish names. A y would most certainly be in it!

Thanks. Sometimes I want to go back and change it, but that is just way too much work, LOL.

LOL I agree.  We used to joke about what the teenybopper Mary-Sue spellings of our names would be.  Mine was Joolee.  Not much you can do with Julie LOL. 
~Julie

MellzBellz

• Commander of Confusion
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2008, 03:24:12 PM »

I'm one of ALYssa girls *blushes* But actually I dunno maybe its a regional thing, but I always thought Alyssa was a more common spelling than Alissa. Most Alyssa's I know spell it with a y. *shrugs*

Melicia is kind of cool....

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2008, 03:27:01 PM »

LOL It could be; I have no idea.  I think I "know" more Alyssas in fanfic than I do in real life.  I can only think of one I know in real life, and I'm not even sure how she spells her name.
~Julie

honey

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Being Jamie Baker Website
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2008, 03:27:18 PM »

lol I thought the same thing too Mel. I just know the name is used in a ton of stories, but I know a lot of alyssa's in real life too and they are all with a Y my niece is AlYssa, too. *shrugs with you*
If Ryan looked at me the wrong way, I lost it. If Ryan looked at me the right way, I lost it. And whenever he tried to kiss me, something usually blew up. Someone ought to teach him a little control.

MellzBellz

• Commander of Confusion
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2008, 03:28:59 PM »

LOL I agree.  We used to joke about what the teenybopper Mary-Sue spellings of our names would be.  Mine was Joolee.  Not much you can do with Julie LOL. 

Haha now it WOULD be Mary Sue to spell Melissa as Melyssa. I think I actually knew another Melissa in high schol who spelled her name that way. But then again I live in a strange town. You should see the names of my students. So many times i misprounounce names because they are totally spelled wrong. My students have the most Mary SUe spellings. lots of Lesly's, Jinnifer's, Jessyca's, Jailen (but pronnounced Jailene) It drives me crazy. I think it's a Hispanic thing though.

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2008, 03:30:32 PM »

When I was a child (okay.. and maybe still now..) I was really jealous of my sister because her name was spelled all mary sueish (Lyndsi) and I got plain old boring Stephanie.  Why couldn't I be Stefani? lol
~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell

MellzBellz

• Commander of Confusion
« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2008, 03:30:39 PM »

lol I thought the same thing too Mel. I just know the name is used in a ton of stories, but I know a lot of alyssa's in real life too and they are all with a Y my niece is AlYssa, too. *shrugs with you*

Ok good so I'm not being hideously teeny am I?  :-[ LOl Not like it's practical to change a characters name over one and a half stories now.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2008, 03:32:40 PM »

When I was a child (okay.. and maybe still now..) I was really jealous of my sister because her name was spelled all mary sueish (Lyndsi) and I got plain old boring Stephanie.  Why couldn't I be Stefani? lol

How about Stehfynni?
~Julie

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6