Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Historical fiction  (Read 4767 times)

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
Historical fiction
« on: June 09, 2008, 07:22:15 PM »

Is anyone here a big fan of historical fiction? Fanfic or otherwise? If so, are there certain time periods you prefer to read/write about?
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
Re: Historical fiction
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2008, 07:56:20 PM »

Big. HUGE.

Fan that is.

I truly love the late nineteen/early twentieth century, as well as the 40's war era. I'm a big history buff. I've taken many a vacation just to geek out over history.
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2008, 08:40:27 PM »

I love historical BSB fanfic! Or regular fiction.

I'm big on the Civil War and WWII, and the 40's in general. That whole time is fabulous to me.
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2008, 09:04:38 PM »

I am a HUGE Historical fiction fan!!! I typically stay away from what I consider "recent" historical fiction (20th Century) unless it's from another country. I'm weird that way.

I love the Tudor era, love finding new books for that and Egyptian of course. If I can find some that take place in long ago eras I love them...
- Purpura -
   -Lore-

KeelieRose86

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2008, 09:38:40 PM »

OMG!! I love reading historical fiction! I mean, I'm really bad at writing it because I'm just awful at researching anything before 1980 (LOL!) but I think there are some really great historical fiction stories out there!! ;D My favorite eras are probably when the women had to wear all the gorgeous dresses with the tons of petticoats underneath and stuff...Sorry! Silly Keelie can't remember the dates! LOL! Um, ooh! And I totally love the 1920s too! The whole speakeasy scene is so cool!! :D

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2008, 10:25:03 PM »

i'm not a fan lol
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

MellzBellz

• Commander of Confusion
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2008, 11:27:02 PM »

OMG!! I love reading historical fiction! I mean, I'm really bad at writing it because I'm just awful at researching anything before 1980 (LOL!) but I think there are some really great historical fiction stories out there!! ;D My favorite eras are probably when the women had to wear all the gorgeous dresses with the tons of petticoats underneath and stuff...Sorry! Silly Keelie can't remember the dates! LOL!

Do you mean the Victorian age? That was the early 1900's, turn of century.

KeelieRose86

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2008, 11:40:44 PM »

^No, I don't think so. I meant in England, not in America, ya know? LOL! Was that when Queen Victoria was around? Silly me! I should look it up on like wikipedia or something, I guess ;D

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2008, 05:47:04 AM »

This is normally when I would go on a rant about Americans, and ignorance, and subsequently get made fun of for being Canadian, and ignorant... but I'll resist because you're new. :)

Wiki can be a fine resource!
« Last Edit: June 10, 2008, 04:18:51 PM by julilly »
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

Kagoma

• Major Disruption
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2008, 12:41:44 PM »

I remember a while back trying to read one, but I wasn't that into it. I don't think I could write one. Maybe, who knows.

Steph

• Minion of Mayhem
  • Trying to forget; the pain's still there.
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2008, 01:52:44 AM »

I love learning about history, but it's hard for me to find time to read fiction from any particular time period. Well, I have The Little House On The Prairie series. I love them. Does that count?? I just think the 1800's would be an interesting time period. As well as the renaissance. Oh, and from 1920-1950's... yeah.

Dean & Sam Winchester.
Hunters. Protectors. Survivors. Family.

exclusive

• Fledgling
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2008, 03:25:05 AM »

I love historical BSB fanfic! Or regular fiction.

I'm big on the Civil War and WWII, and the 40's in general. That whole time is fabulous to me.

Totally! I'm actually in the process of starting an idea for a WWII era fiction with the boys. I also LOVE old western's, movies and general fiction... If we're talking strickly BSB fanfiction, Refuse's "A Matter of Family" comes to mind as one of my favorites. That story is SO good, and really well written, I wishe she'd finish it and post it. lol

When I was younger I started a story that took place around WWII but it had more to do with gangs and everything else. It was a crossover too, and everyone was in it, The boys of course, Britney, Beyonce, Christina, Nsync. Makes me laugh now because I hate crossovers. lol

Kagoma

• Major Disruption
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2008, 07:46:09 AM »

When I was younger I started a story that took place around WWII but it had more to do with gangs and everything else. It was a crossover too, and everyone was in it, The boys of course, Britney, Beyonce, Christina, Nsync. Makes me laugh now because I hate crossovers. lol

Crossovers can be kind of hard to do if you don't know where to go with the characters.

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Fool, said my Muse, look in thy heart and write
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2008, 03:36:02 PM »

Ooh, ancient Egypt! ;D
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

From "And Now, Deep Thoughts" by Jack Handey

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2008, 06:54:55 PM »

Egypt is my cats name! :)
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green
Pages: [1] 2