Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Poll

Which point of view do you prefer a story to be told in?

First person
- 5 (35.7%)
Third person
- 9 (64.3%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Which POV do you prefer?  (Read 5264 times)

Steph

• Minion of Mayhem
  • Trying to forget; the pain's still there.
    • Facebook
Re: Which POV do you prefer?
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2008, 09:10:46 PM »

I was going to say such as Nick, but wait! Mare IS Nick! *facepalm*

Dean & Sam Winchester.
Hunters. Protectors. Survivors. Family.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2008, 10:54:51 PM »

I'm actually Howie
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

rebellious_one

• Commander of Confusion
  • I have no idea what I'm getting myself into
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2008, 12:05:50 AM »

I thought you were Alex.  ???

WHO ARE YOU MARE?!?!?!?!?!?!?
"Stories are often the lives we wish we could live."
~Me

honey

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Being Jamie Baker Website
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2008, 01:31:22 AM »

I'm actually Howie

nobody is Kevin... because I killed him.
If Ryan looked at me the wrong way, I lost it. If Ryan looked at me the right way, I lost it. And whenever he tried to kiss me, something usually blew up. Someone ought to teach him a little control.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2008, 08:05:04 AM »

Nick is Kevin.
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Kagoma

• Major Disruption
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2008, 08:47:09 AM »

If I do a first person story, its out of pure laziness. And if I do a third person, then that means, I'm actually using the old noodle.

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2008, 10:20:49 AM »

^I found it way harder to write in first person.  What do you find to be easier about it, Kagoma? (I'm not trying to be a jerk, I'm actually wondering lol)
~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2008, 12:12:00 PM »

I think it's just a totally different style of writing.  If you're good at getting inside characters' heads and writing in their voice, then first person is probably easy for you.  If you prefer the more flowery, descriptive style of writing, third person is probably easier.  I think it also depends on the character narrating, if you're doing first person... some characters are better narrators than others, you know?

Personally, I almost always write in third person.  I like it because it's not as limiting, and it allows me to be a little more flowery at times without it sounding unrealistic because no one actually thinks/writes/talks that way.

That said, I'm reading five different books/stories right now, and all but one of them are written in first person, so now I'm in that mode.  I'm very easily influenced by what I read LOL.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

honey

• Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2008, 03:11:24 PM »

lol so am I. I've been reading a ton of teen fiction lately, and all of it seems to be in first person. I only have one story right now that is truly in third person and I would definitely say that one is more complicated for me. But I still like it and it does give that story an entirely different feel than most of my other stuff. I think that choosing first or third is a choice that should be made after you decide the tone and mood of your story. Some stories are really just meant to be in third person, and then others have to be first. Like for instance, could you imagine Cindy letting me tell Not Your Average Cinderella Story in third person? There's no way she would have let me get away with that. I think it all just depends.
If Ryan looked at me the wrong way, I lost it. If Ryan looked at me the right way, I lost it. And whenever he tried to kiss me, something usually blew up. Someone ought to teach him a little control.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2008, 03:21:17 PM »

Yeah, totally.   Your stories are perfect examples of the beauty of first person.  Cinderella and Movie... both stories that make me want to write in first person LOL.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

honey

• Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2008, 03:31:12 PM »

Yeah, totally.   Your stories are perfect examples of the beauty of first person.  Cinderella and Movie... both stories that make me want to write in first person LOL.

aww, well then you should go do it! I'm still waiting for my new Julie Brian AU.  ;D

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2008, 03:34:44 PM »

It depends on the story. I love reading first person. But writing wise, I tend to reserve first for say stories I want to rely more on the voice. The stories I keep in third person are typically action stories (Born To Be, 00Carter), and that's because writing in 1st person for those would weaken them. But some stories (JAD...or like Julie said, Kelly's Cindy hehe) would have been worse off without first person. So it's all about the skill of the writer and the actual story being told I think.
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury
Pages: 1 [2]