Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Poll

Which point of view do you prefer a story to be told in?

First person
- 5 (35.7%)
Third person
- 9 (64.3%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Which POV do you prefer?  (Read 5266 times)

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
Which POV do you prefer?
« on: June 16, 2008, 06:56:21 PM »

I swear we've talked about this topic before, but I hunted all over and couldn't find an actual poll, so I'm starting one.

When reading a fanfic, what point of view do you prefer the story to be in?  First person (one character narrates the story... a.k.a. "I'm Howie, and here's my story..."), or third person (no narrator... a.k.a. "Howie was a short man with a high singing voice and a winking habit.  One day, this happened to him...")?

I made the poll simple: choose between one of those.  But in your answer, feel free to expand.  Do you prefer to read in one POV, but write in another?  If you like first person, do you prefer to write from a guy's POV or a girl's?  If you like third person, do you prefer it to be limited (you only get the perspective of one character), or omniscient (you get the perspectives of many characters)?
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

honey

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Being Jamie Baker Website
Re: Which POV do you prefer?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2008, 07:00:10 PM »

I like both, but I went with first person because I think personally I get the feel of my characters better when it's in first and that usually sucks me into a story better. I like hearing the main characters voice in my head as I read.

But third usually makes for a more graceful, pretty style of writing and enables much more description. So it has it's advantages as well. So I like both, but I think I tend to lean a little more toward 1st.
If Ryan looked at me the wrong way, I lost it. If Ryan looked at me the right way, I lost it. And whenever he tried to kiss me, something usually blew up. Someone ought to teach him a little control.

AJsKellyMouse

• Minion of Mayhem
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2008, 07:03:28 PM »

I have a hard time writing in first person unless it's actually about me...I don't know what it is.  I don't think I have the concentration to really sit down and be someone else enough/long enough to write a whole story in first person.  I have really considered trying again though.

I have re-writting this several times because I can't decide.  I like both.  I like the fact that when I read first person I really get into that character (usually) and I'm all in their head and stuff.  But I like third person, too-usually 3rd person omniscient because I feel like I get more info that way.  Make sense?
~Kelly~

Steph

• Minion of Mayhem
  • Trying to forget; the pain's still there.
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2008, 07:03:48 PM »

I am not a big fan of first person POV. It's really hard for me to get into other characters, and it just seems so redundant half the time. I don't mind reading it at all, I just can't write it.

Third person POV can allow you to get into not just one character's head, but many and it flows so much easier.

Dean & Sam Winchester.
Hunters. Protectors. Survivors. Family.

rebellious_one

• Commander of Confusion
  • I have no idea what I'm getting myself into
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2008, 07:24:32 PM »

Like Kelly, I like both as well. But if I had to choose one... I'd pick first person. I really enjoy writing in first person because for that moment I become the character I'm trying to portray and it's as if I'm a different person. It's funny because when I write in first person, I write everything I think the character would say, but at the same time I don't really think about it, ya know?! The dialogue just comes freely and the way I (well, the character) decide to tell the story. For me personally, writing/reading first person POV brings a little more realism and creativity to a story because the writer and reader alike become that character when they delve into the story. Lately, I've been finding myself to do a mixture of both first and third person. Like, for my story "Whatever It Takes", I alternate the chapters from Brian telling the story to me telling the story... just cause I like both POV's and thought "Eh, why the hell not balance them out". But when reading other stories told in first POV, it's interesting because everyone has a different take on it, ya know?! I dunno... I think I'm getting carried away with my explanation. I vote first POV. ;D
« Last Edit: June 16, 2008, 07:26:09 PM by rebellious_one »
"Stories are often the lives we wish we could live."
~Me

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2008, 07:30:32 PM »

This is hard!  A month ago I would have definitely said third person, but after reading this months featured story, and doing both this month's challenges in first person, I have to say that I'm growing quite fond of it!  It really lets you get inside the character's head, but of course the story will lean towards that one character (which isn't always a bad thing!)  So I guess I'll say while first person is fun, I prefer third person just a bit more because I feel a bit more balance.
~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Fool, said my Muse, look in thy heart and write
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2008, 07:37:01 PM »

I think third person is best, although both have their uses.

I think it all really depends on the story. If the story needs the limit that comes from one person's views, or benefits from it (such as "Mean Girls" or "Clueless") it needs first person. Those two movies wouldn't be as good in third person, you know?

And then third person gives a better view of the world around the characters and you can get more than one person's view of other characters.

This is a really tiny response because I don't feel like thinking right now. lol Sorry.
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

From "And Now, Deep Thoughts" by Jack Handey

Steph

• Minion of Mayhem
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2008, 07:42:35 PM »

Don't feel like thinking? I feel ya there, Dee.  :D

Dean & Sam Winchester.

FrickFrackGirl

• Captain of Commotion
  • Nowie!!!!
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2008, 07:45:35 PM »

I like both but I really enjoy a story written in the first person.  I like hearing it from that person's POV.  And I like writing that way too.  I've found I love to write in Nick's POV for some reason, whether I'm good at it or not, I don't know, lol..

Yup, I'm a Nick girl!!  But I love ALL my Boys!

Jen

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2008, 08:08:14 PM »

I love writng and reading first person. I just think you get a better feel for the character without all the description. Sometimes in third person, it's easy to get too caught up in the descriptions of things which can make a story monotonous and sometimes boring.

I do read both though, but I find the stories I love most fanfic and not are almost always first person.
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2008, 08:29:11 PM »

This is hard!  A month ago I would have definitely said third person, but after reading this months featured story, and doing both this month's challenges in first person, I have to say that I'm growing quite fond of it!  It really lets you get inside the character's head, but of course the story will lean towards that one character (which isn't always a bad thing!)  So I guess I'll say while first person is fun, I prefer third person just a bit more because I feel a bit more balance.

YAY to having you rethink first person :)
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2008, 08:35:26 PM »

^Your story was one of the best first person stories I've ever read.  You did such a great job of getting into each of their heads and you could tell who was speaking right away.  :) I loved it so much, Mare!
~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2008, 08:39:39 PM »

aww thanks! :)

Steph

• Minion of Mayhem
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2008, 08:46:35 PM »

After doing this month's picture challenge, I did find that writing in first person isn't as bad as I had once thought. It is still hard for me because again, I like to get in character's heads at more than one time. Who knows, maybe my next solo project will be in first person POV. :D

Dean & Sam Winchester.

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2008, 08:54:51 PM »

Reading wise? I actually really like 1st person but only if the voice is truly written well. A unique story telling voice in first person could really make a great story. Such as Mare :D
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury
Pages: [1] 2