Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: The BSB fanfic related pet peeve thread  (Read 11922 times)

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
Re: The BSB fanfic related pet peeve thread
« Reply #45 on: February 21, 2009, 12:00:39 PM »

It is fun to see what drives everyone crazy. lol

Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Firefly

• Fledgling
  • How could you not love that?
« Reply #46 on: February 21, 2009, 12:38:55 PM »

I hate when everyone is in love with the main character and they all fight over her and think she's perfect.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #47 on: February 21, 2009, 02:13:52 PM »

I hate when the main character is a she in a BSB fic. It's a BSB fic, one of them should be the main character.  lol
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Chaos

• Villiage Idiot
  • Almighty Ruler
  • Minion of Mayhem
  • Defy Reality
    • Absolute Chaos
« Reply #48 on: February 21, 2009, 02:29:40 PM »

I don't like it when someone totally changes a character from a fandom without any explanation for it (not counting AU). If there's an explanation--even if it's a rather flimsy one--I'll usually accept it, but if it's just like out of the blue, say Howie is suddenly just completely evil for no reason. Try to at least stick close to their "character"--or have an explanation of why they're *not* their normal character...

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #49 on: February 21, 2009, 02:31:42 PM »

ooh yes, that's a good one too! Sometimes I think that also has to do with lack of research. Writign in a fandom you might not know every well. Still, if you are going to write in the fandom, learn about the people before you do.

Although, I still think Howie may be slightly evil lol

Chaos

• Villiage Idiot
  • Almighty Ruler
  • Minion of Mayhem
  • Defy Reality
    • Absolute Chaos
« Reply #50 on: February 21, 2009, 02:35:46 PM »

It's always the quiet ones...

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #51 on: February 21, 2009, 05:14:32 PM »

Evil Howie is fun! LOL  But like Ash said, even then, there needs to be a reason.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #52 on: February 21, 2009, 08:02:08 PM »

Because he's like... totally evil...duh! That's enough of a reason!

Chrissy

• Captain of Commotion
  • the author formerly known as filiklepto
« Reply #53 on: February 23, 2009, 04:32:39 PM »

Especially when he's got that long, slicked back Latino hair... definitely my idea of an evil mastermind!
my muse is such a lush

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Fool, said my Muse, look in thy heart and write
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #54 on: February 23, 2009, 05:06:10 PM »

And his eye twitch.... lol
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

From "And Now, Deep Thoughts" by Jack Handey

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #55 on: February 23, 2009, 05:21:53 PM »

Yay evil Howie! Muahahahaha!   ;) >:( <--- look there he is lol
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

Ruby Maye

• Fledgling
« Reply #56 on: March 31, 2009, 09:40:14 PM »

LOL I'm totally guilty about the song lyric thing...i have to confess about that though, i just tagged the song lyric at the end of one of my short stories because i was lazy to think of how to end it better  :-[ but it was just one story...so hopefully i'll do better on the next one! :)

one of my pet peeves besides the ones already mentioned is grammatical errors, like using "their" instead of "they're or there" or "you're" instead of "your." it kinda drives me crazy. I am such a perfectionist with my own stories that i re-read mine over and over and end up changing an entire dialogue just because it has some problems LOL. so it gets me particularly irked, not necessarily peeved per se, when i read stories with these errors.

ForeverFrick

• Major Disruption
« Reply #57 on: April 20, 2009, 05:36:37 PM »

Some of mine have already been said, but they can't be stressed enough.   ;D

The sentence-level errors in some fan fics are horrible.  It is beyond me that people will post, wanting others to like the story and review, but not bother to look over the chapter first.  Editing is essential to being a writer.  You're not going to catch every single mistake, but when you don't try?   :'(

Which leads in to my next pet peeve: when you give someone constructive criticism on a certain type of error that keeps occuring, and the author doesn't bother to fix it. 

As far as characterizati on, I get annoyed when the leading female in a story is completely cliche and undeveloped.  There is absolutely nothing unique about her, yet one (or more) of the Backstreet Boys magically falls in love with her for no apparent reason.  Hmm....

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #58 on: June 20, 2009, 10:09:59 PM »

I am totally going to write a story that involves all of these pet peeves... right after all my stories are complete and OOCarter is no more (*crosses fingers that it is a long way off*)

I re-read a prologue to one of my stories and CRINGED at the amount of errors I made grammatically. .. used "she" instead of "he", little things that kick my butt when I miss.  I am not usually a perfectionist when it comes to writing my stories though and usually my read through before posting is sort of scanning so I am probably guilty of the grammar errors despite some driving me nuts. heh.. bad me!

Plot holes!!!!!   That's my big one and one I try to avoid (but probably do not... lol)

- Purpura -
   -Lore-

cabybakes

• Commander of Confusion
« Reply #59 on: June 20, 2009, 10:22:04 PM »

I re-read a prologue to one of my stories and CRINGED at the amount of errors I made grammatically. .. used "she" instead of "he", little things that kick my butt when I miss.  I am not usually a perfectionist when it comes to writing my stories though and usually my read through before posting is sort of scanning so I am probably guilty of the grammar errors despite some driving me nuts. heh.. bad me!

My own typos are a huge pet peeve...I make a conscious effort to edit, and double check before I post, but without fail, EVERY time I post, I reread it later and see a blaring typo!!! 

Another pet peeve in regard to my own writing is when I go back to the beginning and cringe in general.  Makes me wonder why the heck someone wanted to read my thing and stayed engaged to begin with!!!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6