Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: The BSB fanfic related pet peeve thread  (Read 11912 times)

alota_cookin

• Commander of Confusion
Re: The BSB fanfic related pet peeve thread
« Reply #60 on: June 25, 2009, 09:53:01 PM »

Another pet peeve in regard to my own writing is when I go back to the beginning and cringe in general.  Makes me wonder why the heck someone wanted to read my thing and stayed engaged to begin with!!!

I've done this lately. I actually went and tried to re-read Dark Nights, because I've been bugged to update it and I know it's only a couple chapters from being done...I cringed and closed it down because I was like "this is crap!" I did the same thing with LATB.  :-\

I was completely annoyed with myself!

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #61 on: June 25, 2009, 10:51:21 PM »

Aww, I think everyone does that.  But you know what the good thing is about that?  It shows how much you've improved!  If you're happy with your current writing, but cringe at your older stuff, that means you've improved and you know it!  So it's kind of nice, even though it's annoying.  Especially when it's within the same story LOL.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #62 on: June 27, 2009, 10:19:32 PM »

When you go so long without updating a story that you completely forget what's happened and you have to go back constantly to make sure you aren't repeating yourself or contradicting yourself! lol
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #63 on: June 28, 2009, 02:07:57 AM »

LOL!  I know how that goes too...  It's especially annoying when you go back to re-read and catch up, and by the time you actually work your way up to where you should start writing, you don't actually feel like writing anymore LOL.
~Julie

Teri

• Minion of Mayhem
  • *giggles*
    • Drifting-In-Between-Dreams A Place to Lose Reality if Only for a Moment
« Reply #64 on: June 28, 2009, 04:04:48 AM »

Wow, haven't been on here in forever!

Hmm my pet peeve actually has to do with one particular type of review. I love hearing what people thought about my work and my favorite authors' works (I totally read the reviews on my favorite stories because sometimes I like to know if they liked the same things I do, etc.)

But what irks me more often than not, and I've seen this on many stories on a ton of different sites, is when it's a simple curt, "update soon." That can tend to be a little annoying even reading it on stories I didn't even write! lol. I am horrible at leaving reviews (too much stuff going on usually to even remember to review once I finish reading). Naturally I don't expect to receive any since I'm horrid at leaving them for my favorite stories. If you're just going to ask for an update, why not butter up the author a bit and say why you want an update?

Okay end thoughts on that subject. =)

Oh! One thing that totally falls under the spelling/grammar peeve. When in a story a character shudders, and it's written "shutters" that drives me crazy. I don't think I've seen it much on AC if at all (though it's been a long time since I've read anything aside from stuff from my favorite authors).
Spike: "Hey big guy I'm going to need some new wheels the other one ended up in the...drink..."
Angel: "Spike.... just walk away"
Spike: "You're a..."
Angel: "Don't say it!"
Spike: "You're a bleeding puppet!"

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #65 on: June 28, 2009, 12:39:39 PM »

I agree and disagree about the "update soon!" kind of reviews.  On one hand, yes, I would LOVE it if they'd say something more, tell me what they actually thought about the update they just read.  But on the other hand, at least that shows me they are reading, which is nice to know.  So many people read and don't bother to say anything at all, and you don't know if that means they didn't like it, or if they're just lazy, or too shy to review (I've heard this reason before, actually LOL), or what.  That's more annoying to me than the ones who leave really short reviews.
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #66 on: June 28, 2009, 12:46:04 PM »

People who do not respond to their feedback! It will take you just as long to say something nice as it would for the person reviewing you to. If you want reviews, respond to them. You'll get more that way. If not, then no one should complain about lack of reviews. I know if I give feedback and it goes unanswered, it's the last time I'll give that person feedback.

On a happy note though, I think most people do respond to their reviews, which is awesome!

:)
« Last Edit: June 28, 2009, 01:05:57 PM by mare »
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #67 on: June 28, 2009, 01:10:19 PM »

People who give you feedback which involves directing you to their own writing! lol
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #68 on: June 28, 2009, 01:13:11 PM »

^ Okay, that's annoying!  LOL Both of those.
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #69 on: June 28, 2009, 01:16:05 PM »

People who give you feedback which involves directing you to their own writing! lol

This has to be one of the worst things ever! LOL

Teri

• Minion of Mayhem
  • *giggles*
« Reply #70 on: June 28, 2009, 02:00:42 PM »

I agree and disagree about the "update soon!" kind of reviews.  On one hand, yes, I would LOVE it if they'd say something more, tell me what they actually thought about the update they just read.  But on the other hand, at least that shows me they are reading, which is nice to know.  So many people read and don't bother to say anything at all, and you don't know if that means they didn't like it, or if they're just lazy, or too shy to review (I've heard this reason before, actually LOL), or what.  That's more annoying to me than the ones who leave really short reviews.

Very true, I feel bad that I don't review much, it's not that I don't want to, but usually that I don't have time. (Working the insane schedule I've been working the past six months has been pretty bad).

And Julilly that has to be one of the worst things ever too! Plugging your own work while giving someone a review is just wrong.

Mare, totally agree. I know I try to respond to all of them, but some I miss. I should go back and see all the un-responded reviews and get those responded to. I don't think I have that many, maybe.
Spike: "Hey big guy I'm going to need some new wheels the other one ended up in the...drink..."

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #71 on: June 28, 2009, 02:17:47 PM »

If you don't have time to read, that's one thing, but if you do read and don't review, the time thing isn't an excuse.  Actually reading a chapter takes way longer than leaving a quick review.  If you've got time to read, you've got time to review!
~Julie

Teri

• Minion of Mayhem
  • *giggles*
« Reply #72 on: June 28, 2009, 03:00:12 PM »

If you don't have time to read, that's one thing, but if you do read and don't review, the time thing isn't an excuse.  Actually reading a chapter takes way longer than leaving a quick review.  If you've got time to read, you've got time to review!

Sometimes that's not necessarily true. I read right before I go to work and alot of times I finish reading when I have to actually leave so that doesn't leave much time for reviewing. Other times, things like family or friends distract me while I'm reading so I'll get halfway through a chapter and have to leave. That's just my situation though I have no idea for anyone else.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #73 on: June 28, 2009, 03:25:05 PM »

I'm sure that's true sometimes, but I dunno, I guess a responsible reader who understands the importance of feedback will make the time to come back and review if they really don't have time when they finish reading.  As we all know, it takes SO much more time to actually write a chapter than to read one, a quick review is the least a reader can do to acknowledge the time and effort the author put into writing that chapter for their entertainment.

From the writer standpoint, we write for free because we enjoy it, and we offer our stories for free because we want them to be read and enjoyed too.  From the reader standpoint, we're getting free reading material from writers who do this for the fun of it; the least we can do to show our appreciation is review the work we enjoy.  And AC makes it so quick and easy to do that, there's really no reason not to.

I'll get down from my soapbox now and say that I don't review every piece of writing I come across.  A lot of the times, I don't because when it comes to reviewing, I try to follow the Thumper rule - if you can't say something nice, don't say nothin' at all LOL.  But any story I read more than a couple chapters of, I do review, even if that means coming back to it later.  I just think it's rude not to.
~Julie

Chaos

• Villiage Idiot
  • Almighty Ruler
  • Minion of Mayhem
  • Defy Reality
    • Absolute Chaos
« Reply #74 on: June 28, 2009, 05:27:39 PM »

I don't really read a lot of fanfic these days, but when I do, I pretty much leave feedback for anything/everything that I manage to read through the entire chapter (exception is if it's a really long fic I might not review every chapter, but I try to at least every few and/or when I stop reading for the day I review the last chapter I read (it helps me "bookmark" where I am when I pick up the next time ;)

(Oh, and Julie. I doubt I was the one who gave the shyness excuse, but I *totally* get that one. Seriously. I have a borderline (okay beyond borderline) social phobia that on my bad days...I don't think I'd be able to leave a review because my brain somehow convinces me that no matter what I would say (Great story!) it would somehow piss the person off or offend somehow. LOL. Not exactly "shy", but same effect. (Fortunately while I'm still battling the phobia, I'm not *that* bad all that often anymore. Just...back to normal "shy". lol)
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6