Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Putting Stories In A One File?  (Read 3736 times)

Karen

• Major Disruption
  • You only live once.
    • drivebylove
Putting Stories In A One File?
« on: July 21, 2010, 10:49:08 PM »

I'm a member of a Supernatural fanfic community on livejournal where the authors post their stories in pdf, doc and other formats for people with ebooks. I was wondering if anybody had thought about doing that or would consider it. I think I'd be more inclined to read more fanfic if more authors did that. I was hearing a lot of rokofages75's Broken story then I saw how many chapters and that'd be a lot of time at my computer (not that I'm not at it enough already). I just think laying in bed at night reading fanfic wouldn't be so bad. If my rambling doesn't make sense, please feel free to kick my shin.

Oh and no I'm not posting this asking Julie to post her story in pdf, it was just an example :)
Find me @ drivebylove, ac

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
Re: Putting Stories In A One File?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2010, 11:00:35 PM »

I actually do all of my stories in one big Word file.  I have them as separate chapters for the sake of posting them on my website, but except for my collaborations, when I write, I write straight in the big story and copy/paste from there onto AC.  So, Karen, if you would like Broken or anything else, I can send you the big Word doc - just say the word! :)

For me, it wouldn't make much difference either way cause I just read online and don't print stories (and I don't have a Kindle or anything like that), but back in the days of dial-up, it would have made my life SO much easier if people had put up big files with their whole story.  I used to have to copy/paste them chapter by chapter into Word so that I could save them and read them offline cause my mom would always bitch at me for tying up the phone line for too long when I was online.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2010, 11:07:52 PM »

I just double checked, cause after I got done replying, it occurred to me that I thought I'd seen an option like this on the site before... If you do want to save a whole story from AC without copying/pasting chapter by chapter or getting the file from the author, there is a print option - click the printer icon next to the reviews on the table of contents of the story.  It will open up a new tab and a box to print... just wait, and all of the chapters will load in the new page.  You can just copy/paste from there without having to print.

I'll still send my Word doc if you or anyone wants it, though; AC may not load 150 chapters as quickly as it did the 11 chapters of the one I just tried it for LOL.
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2010, 11:08:55 PM »

I do the dsame thing as Julie. I always write my stories as a word document and then cpoy and paste one chapter at a time on here. There is a printable option for the stories for people who don't want to sit at the computer and read.

While I was sending this Julie just said the same thing lol
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2010, 11:11:17 PM »

LOL see I just have them as separate files, I don't save them as one big one. Which I probably should, but eh. I'm lazy
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

Karen

• Major Disruption
  • You only live once.
    • drivebylove
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2010, 11:18:17 PM »

I used to put my chapters in one big word document but I started using One Note (I think that is what Microsoft calls it). Then I got tired of it and looked around for a different writing software and actually paid for Page Four. I love it. I can ramble on how I have everything organized but that is besides the point :)

I never thought to check to see if efiction could do a mass save. I will have to do that. Julilly was telling me how everybody was reading Pengi's Something Beautiful and I want to give it a try without having to focus at the computer, since I get distracted by side projects so easily.

Julie, whenever you get the chance, I'd love a copy of your story. I'll probably end up taking it to work and read it in between training sessions.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2010, 11:35:26 PM »

Sure!  What's your email?
~Julie

Karen

• Major Disruption
  • You only live once.
    • drivebylove
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2010, 12:01:36 AM »

Yay! It's rockmyway@gmail.com and thank you so much!

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2010, 12:05:34 AM »

Sent, and no problem!
~Julie

Pengi

• Minion of Mayhem
  • spread the llamalove
    • Tweet Me
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2010, 04:34:11 AM »

I never thought to check to see if efiction could do a mass save. I will have to do that. Julilly was telling me how everybody was reading Pengi's Something Beautiful and I want to give it a try without having to focus at the computer, since I get distracted by side projects so easily.
I also have the story in one big word doc on my PC if you'd like a copy. I tend to write the story and save it chapter by chapter, then compile it into one file at the end so I can store it on a USB easier. I can send the .doc file to you if you like. Though I'm not sure how on here? But if you give me your email addy I'd be more than happy to shoot'cha a copy of Something Beautiful. :)
:penguin: PENGi :penguin:

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2010, 07:00:47 AM »

My stories are just in one word doc too, then I copy and paste the chapter into AC.  But since the new site, the editing thing isn't working, so I'm saving my word doc and then copying the chapter into a separate doc and saving it as a html file so that I can copy and paste and it keeps all my layout correct.

I really want to read Broken, I think it's a story I'd like. 

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2010, 10:41:25 AM »

Aw, thanks!  This is Broken on AC: http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=5354
I realized there's still the glitch where you can't get to Page 2 of anyone's stories so it doesn't show up under my profile if you have them sorted by when they were last updated.
~Julie

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2010, 08:53:40 PM »

I save everything in one big word file also ... otherwise I'd end up with a shit ton of word things open while I try to remember what I was writing about lol
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2010, 01:50:36 AM »

Aw, thanks!  This is Broken on AC: http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=5354
I realized there's still the glitch where you can't get to Page 2 of anyone's stories so it doesn't show up under my profile if you have them sorted by when they were last updated.

I've got it saved as a favourite and will start reading later when I'm in work, Friday is usually a quiet day :)

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2010, 10:51:22 AM »

I've got it saved as a favourite and will start reading later when I'm in work, Friday is usually a quiet day :)

Cool!  The beginning sucks, FYI; it doesn't start to get good until around Chapter 12.  My advice would be to skim until then LOL.  The quality of writing gets a lot better as it goes on too.
~Julie

Pages: [1] 2