Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10

Author Topic: Grammar 101...  (Read 22954 times)

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
Re: Grammar 101...
« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2010, 02:32:44 PM »

That's interesting... I wonder why some books published in the UK only use one.  Are all of them that way, or is it just certain ones?  Because you're right; I haven't noticed it in fanfics; you do use the double quotations.  It really doesn't matter; I'm just curious.

Weird!  I've just checked the book I'm currently reading and the quotation marks are ' ', so now I'm curious too.

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2010, 02:37:50 PM »

Oh yes, I hate text talk too, even in texts, lol!  But in stories, then definitely not.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #32 on: August 15, 2010, 02:42:43 PM »

I know; I don't use text talk in texts either.  The only time I do is if I absolutely need to to fit it into one text or tweet.  This is why I don't like word/character limits. :)
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #33 on: August 15, 2010, 02:51:48 PM »

Same here, that's why I keep my texts and tweets nice and short :)

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #34 on: August 15, 2010, 03:20:23 PM »

Ugh, that's annoying too...
~Julie

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #35 on: August 15, 2010, 03:22:51 PM »

Not heard that one before!

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #36 on: August 15, 2010, 03:24:24 PM »

I overheard someone at Target say today that they had to stick to their strict code of ethnics! lol instead of ethics. I got a huge kick out of that!
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #37 on: August 15, 2010, 03:30:47 PM »

I overheard someone at Target say today that they had to stick to their strict code of ethnics! lol instead of ethics. I got a huge kick out of that!

LOL!
~Julie

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #38 on: August 15, 2010, 08:48:51 PM »

Today's homophones...

They're/Their/There:

They're is a contraction that means "they are."  They're going on the Bsb cruise in December.
Just like with you're, the rule is simple:  if you can replace it with THEY ARE, use THEY'RE.

Their, like your, shows ownership.  Which one is their cabin?
If it belongs to them, use their.

There is what you use when it doesn't mean "they are" or something that belongs to "them."  There can be a place or is used before a linking verb, like is/are.  Their cabin is over there.  (See the difference?)  There are lots of freaky fans on this cruise!

~Julie

A-RokzStalker

• Commander of Confusion
« Reply #39 on: August 16, 2010, 01:40:41 AM »

Punctuation is a big one!  I will probably do punctuation after I finish homophones; I LOVE punctuation, especially commas!  You were right with the comma when you said "Eventually, I will double check everything..."  "Eventually" is a transition word, and you always use a comma after those (or before, if it comes at the end of the sentence - "I will double check everything, eventually.")

You could also say "I will eventually double check everything."

But wouldn't it also be correct to say "I will, eventually, double check everything"? I thought I read something like that in "Eats, shoots and leaves." (or whatever the book is called lol). She was talking about commas and how a lot of them are optional.
~ Amy.

alota_cookin

• Commander of Confusion
« Reply #40 on: August 16, 2010, 01:54:29 AM »

I'm with whoever mentioned having comma issues. I've had people tell me I'm a comma nut...that I over use them. In my mind, I seem to think I need them. ??? But...thanks to Google...I found this site that explains 21 rules of comma usage, and also gives examples. The site also has a drop down bar, on the right, which allows you to look at other punctuation rules.

http://www.grammarbook.com/punctuation/commas.asp

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #41 on: August 16, 2010, 01:59:51 AM »

You could also say "I will eventually double check everything."

But wouldn't it also be correct to say "I will, eventually, double check everything"? I thought I read something like that in "Eats, shoots and leaves." (or whatever the book is called lol). She was talking about commas and how a lot of them are optional.

Yeah, you wouldn't need comma in that case.  I guess it depends on where you stick a word like "eventually."  I love the woman who wrote that book; she is my hero!  She has at least two books for kids like that; one is "Eats, Shoots and Leaves" (about commas) and the other is "Girls Like Spaghetti" (about apostrophes).  It has sentences written two different ways, based on where the punctuation is, and then illustrated to show how the meaning changes... like "The girls like spaghetti." just shows some girls enjoying their spaghetti, but "The girl's like spaghetti." shows a girl with skinny spaghetti arms and legs.  It's very cute.
~Julie

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #42 on: August 16, 2010, 02:00:59 AM »

I'm with whoever mentioned having comma issues. I've had people tell me I'm a comma nut...that I over use them. In my mind, I seem to think I need them. ??? But...thanks to Google...I found this site that explains 21 rules of comma usage, and also gives examples. The site also has a drop down bar, on the right, which allows you to look at other punctuation rules.

http://www.grammarbook.com/punctuation/commas.asp

That's awesome!!  Forget me trying to write about all the appropriate ways to use commas; everyone just read that site LOL.

Commas definitely seem to be the most misused punctuation; some people need to use more of them, and others use too many or use them inappropriatel y, like in place of a period or semicolon.
~Julie

alota_cookin

• Commander of Confusion
« Reply #43 on: August 16, 2010, 02:12:56 AM »

:broccoli: WooHoo! I saved Julie from an unnecessary hand cramp!

A-RokzStalker

• Commander of Confusion
« Reply #44 on: August 16, 2010, 02:46:34 AM »

Yeah, you wouldn't need comma in that case.  I guess it depends on where you stick a word like "eventually."  I love the woman who wrote that book; she is my hero!  She has at least two books for kids like that; one is "Eats, Shoots and Leaves" (about commas) and the other is "Girls Like Spaghetti" (about apostrophes).  It has sentences written two different ways, based on where the punctuation is, and then illustrated to show how the meaning changes... like "The girls like spaghetti." just shows some girls enjoying their spaghetti, but "The girl's like spaghetti." shows a girl with skinny spaghetti arms and legs.  It's very cute.

Oh I never heard the of "Girls Like Spaghetti"!! I should look at that one too LOL

btw, there's one punctuation rule that I've never liked and that I refuse to follow, lol. It's the rule of where ending punctuation goes when you have quotation marks. An example would be my first sentence in this post. I don't like the rule because the title of that book does not have exclamation points in it. I am adding the exclamation points to mark the end of MY sentence, so therefore, I have rebelliously chosen to ignore that rule and place my exclamation points on the outside of the quotation marks rather than the inside (which is where they're supposed to be, according to the punctuation rules of the English language). :P

You and I talked about that rule awhile back, I think.
~ Amy.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10