Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

Author Topic: Grammar 101...  (Read 22955 times)

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
Grammar 101...
« on: August 13, 2010, 11:15:08 PM »

... because some of us need to be schooled!

I'm a teacher and a Grammar Nazi, and it drives me nuts to see grown women mutilate the English language in their fanfics, so I'm going to start posting a grammar tip a day in this thread.  If you care at all about the grammar side of good writing, read, learn, and apply them!

Unit 1: Homophones
Homophones are groups of words that sound the same, but are spelled differently.  The misuse of homophones is my absolute biggest grammar pet peeve, so I thought I'd start there.  I'll post a pair of commonly misused homophones per day.  If you are guilty of mixing them up, go back and see if you can correct them in your stories!

Today's words...

Your/You're:

Your shows ownership.  I love your new shoes!  The new shoes belong to YOU, so they're YOUR shoes.

You're is a contraction that means "you are."  You're wearing new shoes!  YOU ARE wearing new shoes, so the contraction YOU'RE fits here.

If you get confused on which one to use, just ask yourself, "Would it make sense to say 'you are' here instead of 'your/you're'?"  If the answer is YES, you use the contraction you're.  If the answer is NO, you use your.

Lose/Loose:

Not true homophones because they don't sound the same, but they're mixed up so often, I thought I'd throw them on this list too.

Lose is a verb.  You can lose your keys; you can lose the game; you can lose a loved one.  Lose only has ONE O.  Yes, just one.  No, it doesn't follow the rules of English; it's just one of those exceptions.  Get used to it!

Loose is an adjective.  If you lose weight, your clothes will be loose.  (See how I used them both in the same sentence?  See the difference?)

If you get confused on how to spell lose, simply get out your Millennium or Never Gone CD and look at the back.  The Backstreet Boys have recorded two lovely songs with lose in the title:  "Don't Wanna Lose You Now" and "Lose It All."  THERE IS NO EXCUSE FOR A BSB FAN TO MISSPELL LOSE!!!
« Last Edit: August 13, 2010, 11:17:17 PM by RokofAges75 »
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
Re: Grammar 101...
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2010, 11:21:41 PM »

LMAO and Julie has finally reached the breaking point.

Love it!

You're (you are) awesome for doing this! I hope people don't lose (not loose) out on this opportunity because we all know your (you are does not fit here) grammar (not grammer) skills are best of the best! :)
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2010, 11:22:09 PM »

LOL I love you for this.

I hate the loose/lose thing. I mean seriously, it's on the back of two CDs! No excuse for a BSB fan to misuse them.
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2010, 11:26:12 PM »

LMAO and Julie has finally reached the breaking point.

Love it!

You're (you are) awesome for doing this! I hope people don't lose (not loose) out on this opportunity because we all know your (you are does not fit here) grammar (not grammer) skills are best of the best! :)

LMFAO I love you, Mare!!!  YOUR (not you're) grammar here is exceptional!  Gold star for you! ;D
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2010, 11:30:35 PM »

YAY!!! LOL
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2010, 11:31:32 PM »

Maybe if we just start posting like that, it will help? (use of question mark when posing a question is a good thing)

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2010, 11:34:04 PM »

You're (you are) so full of good ideas, Mare!  [Notice the comma in front of your (not you are) name?  I also used a question mark here because I, too, was posing a question.]
~Julie

Pengi

• Minion of Mayhem
  • spread the llamalove
    • Tweet Me
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2010, 12:42:19 AM »

lmao... Oh my. I love that you pointed out the back of the CDs. So true.

And yeah, it bugs me sometimes, too, but I'm probably one of the ones you're (you are! yay) yelling at. LOL
 :-*
:penguin: PENGi :penguin:

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2010, 12:44:16 AM »

^ No, you're (you are) definitely not LOL.
~Julie

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2010, 12:50:37 AM »

Nah, we both read your (not you are) stuff, remember? You're (you are, YAY Grammar!) not it LOL.
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2010, 06:24:08 AM »

Great idea, it's something that annoys me too.  When I was in school it was kind of drilled into us and it's not something you forget.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2010, 06:45:40 AM »

We're (we are <-- for Nick and AJ lol) definitely (not definately) having fun with this now. (hit the space bar once at the end of a sentence to help break up your thoughts) I (always start a new sentence with a capital letter and always capitalize the letter 'I' when it stands alone, even in the middle of a sentence) hope people really do pay attention to what is being said in here (not hear). :)

carterkid

• Major Disruption
  • It's a backstreet world....we just live in it
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2010, 11:28:13 AM »

[Too means also[I'm going too.] The other To means to funny.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2010, 01:02:47 PM »

[Too means also[I'm going too.] The other To means to funny.

If by "to funny," you mean it's funnier than you can stand, the way Lore used it in the post before yours, it's actually too funny.  She was right. ;)  There, too is an adjective that helps describe how funny it is.  "To funny" would mean you're going to funny - as if funny is a place or something that you do, neither of which makes sense.

I guess that means today's words are...

To/Too/Two:

To is a preposition, used before a noun, often a place.  I'm going to the store.  Hey, Tanja, this story belongs to me!  To can also be used as an infinitive before a verb.  I'm going to post my story on AC.  I'm going to kick Tanja's ass if she steals my story again.

Too is a synonym for "also."  Do you want to kick Tanja's ass, too?  Too can also be used before an adjective to mean "excessively."  Tanja has plagiarized too many stories.  She is too pathetic.

Two is the written form of the number 2.  If you mean 2, write out "two."

~Julie

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2010, 02:59:41 PM »

Can I also mention in here the differences between USA and English words?  Some people might read my stories and think things like 'you don't spell favourite with a u in the middle, she can't spell' etc, etc.  I just want to point out that some of our spellings are different and it's not that I'm crap at spelling  ;D

Sorry to go slightly off the topic!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10