Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10

Author Topic: Grammar 101...  (Read 23829 times)

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
Re: Grammar 101...
« Reply #75 on: August 25, 2010, 05:56:55 PM »

I know; that's what makes it so hard.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #76 on: August 25, 2010, 06:49:34 PM »

Julie that makes a little more sense, thanks. Lie/Lay is one that always trips me up and probably always will.

Have we done effect and affect yet? I know they aren't homophones but darn confusing.
- Purpura -
   -Lore-

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #77 on: August 25, 2010, 07:23:17 PM »

That's another good one.

Effect is a noun, and affect is a verb.  If something AFFECTS you, you could say it has an EFFECT on you.

That movie had great special effects!
That movie was so emotional, it really affected me.
~Julie

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #78 on: August 25, 2010, 09:28:15 PM »

I always have to read my sentences over if I use effect or affect to make sure I've used the right one. Sometimes I have to get Amanda to help me if I can't figure it out. Thanks as always Julie. :)  (don't be surprised if I ask you grammar questions some night, it's only cause you rock)
- Purpura -
   -Lore-

yorkielover88

« Reply #79 on: August 26, 2010, 08:45:34 AM »

Honestly I must say I love this thread! I have dyslexia and therefore do not use proper grammar when it comes to spelling things.  Things such as homonyms. (by the way when I first read [pronounced like the color] the word 'homonym' I said it like 'hoe moe' not 'hom oh'.) I am always looking for way to improve myself and while things like this are looked at as funny it really does help!

TheDistantHeart

• Major Disruption
  • Would you risk it for a chocolate biscuit?
« Reply #80 on: August 26, 2010, 11:19:47 AM »

Thanks for the explanation, Julie! I'm glad it's a common confusion and not just me. :D I'll save this in my special Word document. I put all the slang, certain expressions or just sentences I might want to use sometime in it. When I read a fanfic I might save some sentences in the document whether* they are funny or cool or just something I couldn't think of myself. Examples are: "I wasn't going to sugarcoat it", 'A smirk of triumph curled Damon's lips.' (Vampire Diaries fanfic heh), 'I puffed out my cheeks and let out a big gust of air.' (I think this is from one of evergreen's fanfics). I hope it's ok if I ever use sentences like these, 'cause I practically copied them from other fanfics. :hidesface:
I also put translations of words I keep forgetting in it. So when I write, I open that document and see if I can use anything from it. I will save lots of stuff from this topic in that document. ;D

I used to have problems with eh.. I don't know if there's a word for it but when I first started writing fanfic (which was in 2007 or so) in English I only used 'she said', 'she asked', 'he yelled', 'he screamed', 'she replied'. It was really limited and I was sick of it at one point. I didn't know any other words really, so I often watch things like that too (and save them in my special document hehe). Now, I know words like retorted, scowled, grunted, inquired, huffed, seethed etc. But also things like he glared, snorted etc. I hope I didn't confuse anyone but I have no idea if there's a specific word for this.  :shrug:

I don't use the words effect & affect that much but I'll save it in my document too. I bet I will stumble upon it sometime. :)

* Whether/weather (sometimes even wheather) is one I see pretty often too!
Can I give it a try and explain it? I'll try. :-\

Whether/weather/wheather

Whether is a conjunction. - "I don't know whether it's possible.”

Or you can use it to introduce alternatives. - He can't decide whether to go or not/He can't decide whether or not to go.

Weather is, simply, the weather. Like heat or cold, wind, rain, snow etc. - "The weather is too hot for me.” or "How's the weather?" The weatherman presents the weather forecast. :)

The word wheather doesn't excist.

And? How did I do? :)
« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 11:51:10 AM by TheDistantHeart »

TheDistantHeart

• Major Disruption
« Reply #81 on: August 26, 2010, 11:41:13 AM »

Oh btw, I know we didn't come to punctuation, but a few months ago or so I saw this Facebook group which cracked me up so much 'cause it's true!

It's something like this:
"Let's eat grandma!" - "Let's eat, grandma!". Punctuation saves lives.

I think others know this one too, but I think it's brilliant. :) I can't wait till we get to the punctuation part 'cause that's one I'd like to learn (and remember).

TheDistantHeart

• Major Disruption
« Reply #82 on: August 26, 2010, 12:07:00 PM »

(Sorry for the 3rd post in a row)

Julie, is it ok if I post your 'lessons' on a stories forum and a fanforum (no BSB) I know? One is a forum where you can post both original and fanfiction (there aren't any BSB fanfics till now) and the other is a fanforum of a Spanish boyband I used to love lol (my first fanfics are about them). Almost all members on there have English as their second/third etc language and I thought it might be good if I start a "Improve your English!" topic or something, 'cause I know some of them could use it. :)

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #83 on: August 26, 2010, 05:12:07 PM »

Imke:

1) Great job on the weather/whether explanation!

2) LMAO at the "Let's eat Grandma!" Facebook group.  Love it!

3) Yes, you can absolutely re-post my stuff on another forum.  Go for it! :)
~Julie

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #84 on: August 26, 2010, 05:13:16 PM »

Honestly I must say I love this thread! I have dyslexia and therefore do not use proper grammar when it comes to spelling things.  Things such as homonyms. (by the way when I first read [pronounced like the color] the word 'homonym' I said it like 'hoe moe' not 'hom oh'.) I am always looking for way to improve myself and while things like this are looked at as funny it really does help!

Glad it's helping you out!  I really did mean it to be helpful; it's a good place to rant about poor grammar, but it's also good for people who are serious about improving that aspect of their writing.
~Julie

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #85 on: August 27, 2010, 06:54:47 PM »

Alright Julie, or anyone else who can explain this well.  Than/Then, I think I am worse at these two than I am with Effect/Affect. Help! :)
- Purpura -
   -Lore-

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #86 on: August 27, 2010, 07:09:02 PM »

Than is a comparison, Then indicates time.

There are more mushrooms than peppers in this sauce.

Wash your clothes then put them in the dryer.

The WRONG way to use them:

I'm a better speller then you! (than would be the correct word)

Every now and than I go to McDonald's. (then would be right.)
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #87 on: August 27, 2010, 09:40:04 PM »

I thought that's how it was but my grammar check on my computer was telling me when I used "then" in my sentence it was wrong, but I used it in the way it was supposed to according to your sentence below.  Maybe I have it right in my head and the grammar check has issues, or maybe there was something else wrong ... hrm.
- Purpura -
   -Lore-

A-RokzStalker

• Commander of Confusion
« Reply #88 on: August 28, 2010, 01:24:21 AM »

What was the sentence, Lore?
~ Amy.

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #89 on: August 28, 2010, 01:31:44 AM »

I can't remember, it was for a work e-mail I don't memorize those. Once I am home I try to forget all things work. :)
- Purpura -
   -Lore-
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10