Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Starting a new story.  (Read 2749 times)

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
Starting a new story.
« on: February 04, 2011, 10:24:07 PM »

Nothing to me is harder than starting a new story. I always go back and forth with so many ideas that by the time I actually try to write i'm already mentally exhausted. lol

I hope i'm not the only one?

Like for me i'm going back and forth with 1st person or 3rd and then who is going to start...and what am I going to call this thing? lol

Yikes!
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
Re: Starting a new story.
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2011, 10:27:41 PM »

OMG I know, cause you need to figure so much out when you start a story.

Hey, if you wanna send me anything, or want an opinion, you know I don't mind lol.
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2011, 10:33:06 PM »

I know what you mean.  I think it's fun, though, maybe because it takes me so long to finish a story, I don't get to do it very often LOL.  I will usually plan for several days before actually writing anything, unless I have an actual beginning in my head screaming to get out.  Usually I think beginnings are the hardest part, though, much harder than just planning out the details.  Summaries are also hard.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2011, 10:35:27 PM »

Summaries are the devil. Cause I always second guess myself on them. I wrote and rewrote the RMTW summary a ton before I decided that keeping it simple was the best way to go. I can do titles way better than I can summaries.
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2011, 06:26:03 AM »

I struggle with summaries as well. Usually the titles come to me before the idea but not lately.

I don't have anything to send to you Rose lol

I see how I want to start this one visually but i'm having a hard time coming up with the words.
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

cabybakes

• Commander of Confusion
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2011, 11:05:32 AM »

I'm with you guys...it is hard to start something new!  I have an idea that I have written about 1 1/2 chapters on but I'm not sure exactly where I want to go.  I am sure this is why I always hate the beginning of my stories.  I get to know my characters better as I write them and get inside of their heads.

Good luck with your new ideas!  Maybe we need a bounce around thread?  Although, I'd imagine we already have one!!! 

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2011, 11:08:11 AM »

Aww, yes, same here. That's why I don't like to post a new one unless I am at least three or four chapters ahead of myself.

At least I have made some progress. I have a title and one and a half pages done. LOL Still no idea about a summary though.

I guess the you can do it thread would be a good place to bounce ideas. Or we could always make another one. I have decided that this board isn't used enough. We should do more talking about fic in general darnit!

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2011, 11:34:06 AM »

I am so bad at starting new stories..but I have so many ideas bouncing around in my head that it's hard for me to stick with one! My problem is that I usually have a good beginning in my head, and a good ending, but most of the middle part I get lost in and I have a hard time sorting out how to get my characters where I want them to go. It takes a lot of planning and thinking on my part to sort out how the story will develop once I get past the fun introduction chapter..
~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2011, 01:16:15 AM »

Now that FYO is ending I can't come up with anything new and its frustrating me...I also have a hard time coming up with endings to stories. That's the main problem I have...summari es and endings. UGH

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2011, 04:28:31 AM »

I have no problem starting stories, or ending them. My problem is that bit in the middle. I'm always so anxious off the top to get to the end that fleshing out the middle is the hard part.
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2011, 05:09:51 AM »

The middle if the most interchangeabl e of all for me. I usually know how I want it to start kind of -ish. I always know how it will end but getting there changes millions of times before I actually get to the end. lol

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2011, 05:10:40 AM »

I know what you mean. Filler chapters are the work of the devil. Getting through the middle is difficult sometimes. 

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2011, 05:15:21 AM »

Yes, what is bad is if you consider every chapter in the middle a filler chapter lol That's usually not a good sign.

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2011, 05:39:19 AM »

I don't really do filler chapters, but it goes to show why my fics are usually so short. I don't spend a whole lot of time fussing over the middle because I already know exactly what has to happen in order to make the end work.

It's so easy when you don't have a means to end a story to let it get away from you. That's when filler chapters start cropping up. Perhaps we need a thread to talk about endings and how sometimes the never ending story isn't the solution? lol
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

KrazyKelsey87

• Innocent Bystander
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2011, 06:47:08 AM »

Coming up with ideas has never been a Problem for me. I struggle however wtb creating the perfect ending. Titles and summaries suck the most tho. That and choosing a historical time line is what I hate most!
Pages: [1] 2