Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: How Did You Discover Fan Fic?  (Read 7257 times)

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
How Did You Discover Fan Fic?
« on: March 01, 2011, 12:12:02 PM »

I thought that we had this topic before but I couldn't find it. Also I figure there's enough new people now to make it worthwhile.

Basically how did you discover BSB (or other) fan fic?

I found it when I was searching online for BSB pictures in 1999. There was a section on this site called "stories" and I thought it was fan encounters, so I clicked on it. It turned out to be fan fiction and I was addicted right away. I started writing my own right away as well and that site hosted me. It was way cool.

I moved on to fanfiction.net when I discovered how easy it was to get feedback on that site. When they removed the music groups section I stopped writing BSB fic since I was moving on to anime in my high school days anyway.

I don't remember how I found AC, but I think it was through a message board. Either way I'd been off and on trying to find a new site similar to FF.net and also one with a way to chat with other members so this place was perfect for me :)

Anyway, how'd you guys get started?
~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
Re: How Did You Discover Fan Fic?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2011, 01:57:32 PM »

Wow considering I have been writing for over ten years now....I have No idea how I started fanfic. All I know I used to be on Fanfiction.net and my screenname was supergirl64. I had written only one or two stories there...but when ff.net removed the music section all my stuff got lost and deleted. I went on a 5 year hiatus from writing, and then I was reading some fanfics randomly online when I joined AC. The first fanfic I read here was one of Mare's. I started reading more of other people's stuff and got hooked. I didn't post anything on here until maybe 2009 when my friends on twitter suggested I share my writing...and here I am LOL. 2 years later and over 12 stories to my name...I love it and I would not leave ac for anything.

kevmylove

• Minion of Mayhem
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2011, 11:55:32 PM »

Good question...wow I haven't been on here for a bit.  ;D

Well ever since my friend introduced me to the BSB music, we started writing little stories and then we wrote a long one together. One day I was looking through the net for something (don't remember what) and I came across some type of BSB Fan Fiction Archive. I clicked and got all these stories, man I went nuts reading them, of course back then a lot of them were really corny BSB meets fan and falls in love with her instantly. I was a bit too infatuated with Kevin to care! lol. Then I (don't laugh) realized, oh wait, what I've been writing is fan fiction. I found AC and posted my first story. Which was terrible...no spaces, broken paragraphs...e tc. That's how I discovered fan fics.  :shrug:

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2011, 12:52:45 AM »

When I got my first computer for Christmas at 13, so...like 1999, I started surfing the net, visiting BSB sites and such. Like with Steph, I clicked on a section named "stories" once and realized people actually wrote fiction about them. In the links section of that same fansite I found fanfiction.net . I already wrote original fiction in my spare time then, and so I was like "well if these people can write stories about BSB, I can too!" So I went for it and posted my early works on ff.net and bluecloud/Stephanie's old site cause she hosted me back then.

When ff.net stopped allowing real person fanfic, I kept writing and having my stories hosted on Stephanie's site. Soon after my friend Jamelet, who I met on ff.net told me about AC and how we could post a story her, myself, and Anastacia were writing together there. That was like 2003 lol. Been here ever since. Thank god there's no surviving copies of my beginning stories from ff.net still on the internet LOL. It's definitely Mary Sue/cliche lmfao.

Luckily I've grown as a writer since I was 13 lol.
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

Chrissy

• Captain of Commotion
  • the author formerly known as filiklepto
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2011, 05:34:02 AM »

I don't quite remember how it all started, but I would sleep over at my cousin's house a lot when I was young, and they had internet (dialup!!!!). When I was in junior high she and I would surf the web for Nick Carter stuff, and somehow, around that time I stumbled across fanfiction and started printing it out for my friends at school. This was around '98-'99. I did try my hand at writing fanfic as a tween, but rather than posting it online my friends and I would write it in spiral notebooks and share it with each other that way.

In high school, I followed a lot of those fanfic mailing lists on yahoo groups, where people post their updates chapter by chapter and you get them in your e-mail. I did a lot of fic reading but never any writing, except for the first chapter of a story that I posted to the mailing list. The rest of the fic never got off the ground.  ::)

I also had a small Nick fanfic archive site, and while looking for stories I liked to add to it, I came across Mare's work, which eventually led me to AC back in 2003.
my muse is such a lush

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2011, 06:08:46 AM »

I'm a late starter when it comes to fanfic!

It was 2007 and I was browsing the internet for Take That stuff when I came across the official Take That website which had a forum.  I'd never even seen them before (I know, I'm slow, lol) and spent ages looking at the pictures on there.  Then I noticed the story section and thought it was fans encounters with the band...I was soon proved wrong!  I was hooked and spent hours reading, never in a million years thought I'd give it a go though.  Then a few months later, I tried writing and found that I enjoyed it, although my first couple of attempts were awful and I'm glad that site has now closed and those stories have vanished off the face of the earth :)

I was looking for BSB stuff one day and eventually found AC in 2008.  I was blown away by the stories here, so much better quality than a lot of the stuff I'd read elsewhere, so I joined up and have never looked back.

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
    • twitter
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2011, 06:23:26 AM »

Hmmm this is like playing seven degrees of Mare ;) LOL

Pengi

• Minion of Mayhem
  • spread the llamalove
    • Tweet Me
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2011, 07:13:23 AM »

I started a long, long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away ---
Wait, that's the story of my birth, not of the beginning of fan fiction writing. My bad.  :P

Just kidding, of course.

I started writing fan fic because I was  bored and lonely. LOL I was home schooled and I didn't have a lot of friends, and BSB had become my friends over the years so I just wrote stories about what I'd do and say with them. Then one day I started working on a story called Planet Backstreet. It took me almost 2 years to finish it, but it was so much fun I barely felt that time go by. Then in 2000, when it was completed, I realized it was over 500 type-written pages. (Dude, I just realized it was about the same length as Fix -- weird. Irrelevant, but weird. I dont know why it's weird either actually. I'll shut up now. LOL) So I spent all my allowance printing it pretty much. Well long story short, Planet Backstreet scored me backstage passes from the radio station here in NH (I went to the last meet & greet before AJ went to rehab - literally 3 days before he was admitted) and my mom and I got to go meet the Boys (I've shared this story a billion times so here's the condensed version: mom. purse. Kevin. crotch.).

At that point I didn't know other people wrote stories about BSB. I thought it was a weird thing I did. Then I heard about Oreos for Breakfast, and someone somewhere gave me a link and I started reading that story and spent the entire time thinking that I could totally do this. I'm not sure how I drew connection from Oreos' host site to AC, but probably from one of you guys on LD posting links to stories, I'd imagine... Next thing you know I'm over here.

I posted with a different name originally, I don't remember what it was though, and I deleted all those stories before I went on a hiatus. Then I came back and wrote the Saving the Day for Blondes stories a couple years ago. It wasn't until writing Something Beautiful this summer that I got back into it really seriously.
:penguin: PENGi :penguin:

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2011, 07:39:42 AM »

It was a warm summer day in 1999... wait. I'll give some back story first.

Before I actually posted fanfic online I always wrote it. When I was 6 or 7 I used to record to cassette (on a boombox) NKOTB fanfic with my sister and her friend. I stumbled upon those tapes years later but I don't know where they are now :(

Later on my friends and I used to act out stories that I would come up with (circa 1996-97). I lived in Germany then and BSB had just exploded. So we would all play different characters, we even made this scrapbook of who everyone was with models cut out of a catalog and the boys cut out of a Teen Beat mag.

Fast forward to 1999 I had just moved to Canada and had internet at home for the first time ever. Like many people I was looking up pictures and stumbled across some stories, (I don't remember what site) and was pretty much hooked. I joined a bunch of Yahoogroups at that point, met Karen, we started writing/chatting together and the rest is history. I've gone through several incarnations of websites, etc but a couple of years later when I was in college I was nominated for an award and one of the people in the same category as me was Chaos and that's what brought me to AC, which at that point only had Ground Zero posted on it.
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

Pengi

• Minion of Mayhem
  • spread the llamalove
    • Tweet Me
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2011, 01:22:18 PM »

Later on my friends and I used to act out stories that I would come up with (circa 1996-97). I lived in Germany then and BSB had just exploded. So we would all play different characters, we even made this scrapbook of who everyone was with models cut out of a catalog and the boys cut out of a Teen Beat mag.

OMFG!!!!!!!!!! I wasn't going to admit to it, but my nephew and I used to do that too! He was always Nick because he had blonde hair. LOL....  :D Plus I wasn't jealous of the role at that time cos I <3'd Brian anyways.

That's SOOOO funny.

I thought we were the only ones nuts enough to do that.

Nuts in a good way.

*muah*
:penguin: PENGi :penguin:

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
    • twitter
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2011, 02:07:59 PM »

My best friend and I did that too. In high school I always carried around a big stack of notebooks and write fanfic during class. My first story was called lost in the jungle, I know that's lame but it had Nick and Brian in it....I still have the hand written copy.

Chrissy

• Captain of Commotion
  • the author formerly known as filiklepto
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2011, 03:37:38 PM »

I've gone through several incarnations of websites, etc but a couple of years later when I was in college I was nominated for an award and one of the people in the same category as me was Chaos and that's what brought me to AC, which at that point only had Ground Zero posted on it.

I remember reading Ground Zero back when AC had almost no stories on it!  :o Nostalgia...
my muse is such a lush

carterkid

• Major Disruption
  • It's a backstreet world....we just live in it
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2011, 04:31:14 PM »

I started with role playing on stuff like live journal.After a while,I found ff.net When ff.net stopped allowing real person fanfic, I kept writing just for fun but never posted.Then I found ac.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2011, 04:56:04 PM »

I discovered it totally by accident. I had just really gotten into BSB and was looking up info on them and ended up clicking on a visual of all things lol I didn't get what it was at all. Later on I was surfing one of their fansites and saw a link to fanfiction and through that I found Jenna's site and started reading Swollen Issues and then she happened to have a link to Ground Zero. Between reading those two stories I was completely hooked! At that point AC didn't exist. The link that Jenna had on her site for GZ was through FFNet and the rest is history. It wasn't until almost a year later that I found Chaos and the finished story! lol
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2011, 04:56:43 PM »

Hmmm this is like playing seven degrees of Mare ;) LOL

What makes you say that? lol
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green
Pages: [1] 2 3