Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Author Topic: When Characters Collide  (Read 2574 times)

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
When Characters Collide
« on: April 15, 2011, 07:27:21 PM »

Do you ever have that moment when you're writing a new story and you think 'this seems familiar...' and realize that you are essentially writing the same character from an earlier story?

That kind of happened to me today. While writing a Brian scene I realized that I was essentially using Brian in the exact same way in my new story as I did in a previous one. I'm pretty much ripping myself off, I think.

Or is it perhaps more along the lines of it just being my style? What do you think?
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
Re: When Characters Collide
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2011, 09:14:37 PM »

I am constantly stealing my own stuff and not realizing it until way after the fact. LOL
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2011, 09:47:23 PM »

it's your own stuff... what's the harm in "stealing" it. LOL.
- Purpura -
   -Lore-

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2011, 11:11:44 AM »

I think I do the same kind of thing and think it has to do with writing style.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2011, 11:21:18 AM »

Yeah, it's probably because you're writing about the same characters... who are based on real people... so really, they SHOULD seem similar from story to story, unless there's a plot reason for them to be majorly different.  We all have our own takes on the guys that carry across our stories.  If would be different if all your original characters were basically the same, like Mary Sues LOL.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2011, 11:22:55 AM »

You're right Julie they should be the same people but I mean the character is doing the same thing. Plotwise. Like I've stereotyped him or like I'm following some kind of plot grid from one story to the next lol
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2011, 12:11:53 PM »

Ahh, I see.  It could still come down to style and genre, or maybe you are unknowingly recycling your own storylines LOL.  It's not a big deal either way; like Lore said, at least it's your own stuff you're "stealing," if that's the case. :)
~Julie

Mariah

• Major Disruption
  • Let go of today, tomorrow's another day...
    • http://www.absolutechaos.net/viewuser.php?uid=1274
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2011, 07:53:25 PM »

Maybe with certain romance stories. A lot of the stuff I write tends to have a lot of angst in it so certain traits with main characters stay with you.
My Stories
Jack: FYI, he was the love of my life.
Will: You've said that about each Backstreet Boy at one time or another. -Will & Grace

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2011, 06:04:01 AM »

It's most definitely not a romance. I guess I have created the stereotyped murder mystery Brian!
~Maple Jellybean~

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2011, 06:20:07 AM »

I guess if you use the same type of character in all of your stories its not really plagiarism.... but I can see where it would bother you. I kind of like when writers are consistent but its refreshing when an author puts a new spin on one of the boys personality. However, using the same character over and over is kind of boring unless you're doing a series I suppose. If the story is not in a series and the plot seems similar once again, I would reccomend taking some time to look at where you are going with the plot and see if there is a way around it.

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2011, 07:47:12 PM »

I have to bump this up because... this happened to me AGAIN.

Because of the duel challenge I ended up going back to take a look at some of my older stories and I have seriously strange typecasts going on. Maybe that's why I always write AU because they're so OOC lol

I realized that I have a tendency to make Nick a pot head! I don't know why, maybe he just comes off like he could be a bit of a stoner to me! I imagine him being kind of a surfer dude, hanging out at the beach by day and getting roasted by night! Although... this was probably accurate of the years 2000 - 2007 so maybe I'm not typecasting anyone! haha
~Maple Jellybean~

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2011, 07:59:46 PM »

I don't think your assessment is that far off lol

Nowadays maybe not
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

cabybakes

• Commander of Confusion
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2011, 08:17:46 PM »

Lol! 

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2011, 08:18:55 PM »

LOL I don't think that's far off from Nick either, at least when you wrote it.  You were just ahead of your time, because I don't think many people wrote him that way back in the day when he actually was using drugs.  I've read Nick stories about drug addiction, but that definitely wasn't the usual portrayal of him.
~Julie

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2011, 08:27:00 PM »

He's typically more of a happy user in my portrayals! lol

I never realized all this time I was an innovator :P
~Maple Jellybean~