Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Author Topic: Dilemma?  (Read 2058 times)

summer03

• Captain of Commotion
  • hmmm....
Dilemma?
« on: April 21, 2011, 06:24:05 PM »

I don't know if this is where I am suppose to post this or not so sorry if it's not.

I haven't been in here for a while... it's been a hectic new year for me. I have been debating with myself for the past few months because I have come to the conclusion that I am done writing for a very long time but I also know that some of you are reading my stuff so I feel bad leaving some of my stories unfinished. I just haven't been really into writing at the moment, don't get wrong I still love reading the stories I like but I have lost my energy and imagination for my stuff. So I wanted to get your opinion on this have any of you felt like that and for how long? I was thinking of taking down all the unfinished stories and just leaving the completed ones? I like some advise from you all and this has not changed my love for the boys... can't wait to see them in June. well there's my dilemma... HELP?
"I dream my painting, and then I paint my dream." Vincent Van Gogh

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
Re: Dilemma?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2011, 07:28:56 PM »

I have been in the very position you speak of. Spring of 2009 I was sure that I never wanted to write again, that I was done. It made me angry to know that my stories were sitting there neglected and one day I went in and deleted them all in a fit of irrational rage lol After a while though I got my spark back, reposted them, and finished up the unfinished story I had. I then told myself that I wouldn't post anything else until it was finished... which I failed at but I have been more motivated.
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2011, 07:53:51 PM »

I have been there and am constantly in a battle with myself about this very topic. I have never went so far as to delete anything from the site but mentally I have done it plenty of times. I think it might be nice to just write a little update note on some of those stories and explain to your readers where you are reguarding fanfic. That as of now you don't plan on writing but you're leaving them up for people to read. There have been so many instances of people deleting their stuff without saying one word to their readers and I think they would be surprised to know that most people would like to still read those stories even if they are unfinished. Plus, you never know, you might actually want to go back and write on them again some day.

Good luck!
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2011, 08:32:21 PM »

I haven't had this happen to me as a writer yet, but as a reader, I have to agree with Mare about keeping your stories up.  It would be nice to post an author's note on your unfinished stories, warning readers that they may never be finished, so new readers can decide whether or not to check them out... but old readers may want to reread what's there, whether it gets finished or not.  And definitely don't delete your finished stuff... I hate when authors do that!!!

Plus, you never know... a few months or even years from now, you might change your mind and decide to come back, and then you might regret deleting stuff.  Good luck with whatever you decide! 
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2011, 12:43:09 AM »

I have been there before, it's hard. You may feel burnt out now, but you never know, one day inspriation might strike and you might want to sit down and write again. I know I went through a rough period like that a couple years ago where I didn't write anything for nearly 6 months. But eventually I grew interested in it again and finished one of my unfinished stories I'd left hanging and even started a new one.

I've never really deleted anything off the site, though. I have some unfinished things posted that I probably won't ever finish, but I am leaving them there in case I ever do decide to write a random chapter on one of them or if there are people out there who may still like to read them.
~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2011, 10:48:56 AM »

I've been there too!  I've even deleted stuff which I'd left unfinished and even deleted some which are finished, but which I wasn't too happy with.  But one of the unfinished stories is back up and I'm slowly updating.

I agree about putting an author's note on your stories to tell your readers that you are taking a break.  I hate when I'm reading a story and then the author vanishes and never finishes, or just takes their stories away (although I was guilty of this, I had so few reviews I don't think anyone noticed, lol).

I hope you get your mojo back and I'm sure you will.  You just need to step away from it for a while and not let it worry you.  I'm sure after a break, you'll be ready to write again.

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2011, 11:24:58 AM »

So many of these comments are very true. Sometimes, no matter what it is whether it's a hobby or a career, you just need to step away and take a break for a while to recharge your batteries.

It doesn't mean you're done with it entirely (or maybe it does but you'll know that eventually) but it's good to take a break.
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

summer03

• Captain of Commotion
  • hmmm....
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2011, 12:43:09 PM »

Thanks to all of you for your advise, all of it makes sense. I do feel like at some point I do want to finish my stories it's just life happens and sometimes you sort of change
with it? I think I wil just let my readers know I am on a break and the length is undetermined. I am going to focus on another aspect of my life I have sort of neglected and maybe after I see the boys in June maybe I can get my mojo back! It will be my first time so it might help. :) thanks again and I wil still be reading my favorite stories on here though. 
"I dream my painting, and then I paint my dream." Vincent Van Gogh

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2011, 02:58:46 PM »

After seeing the boys I'm sure your mojo will be back full force!

myconfession

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2011, 06:57:53 PM »

I've been there and when I started college again, I took a break from writing BSB fan fiction. I kept finding myself wanting to back at random times throughout those years, and I eventually put my site back up online.

I'm still not sure what caused me to write again. I had extensive dental surgery the summer before my last year of college and started writing randomly the week I had off from work. Started writing a little until I graduated from college, but nothing heavy. I just kind of found my way back into it a little.

During the break I dabbled in NASCAR fan fiction and it helped a little, having something new to write about.

Sometimes you just need a break from it all. During that time I took a break from BSB because I just had to. Maybe that's what you need is just a break from writing. Maybe go read some books or other fan fiction to remember why you loved writing to begin with?