Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 16

Author Topic: Engarde!!!! The Reading Duel challenge  (Read 46501 times)

carterkid

• Major Disruption
  • It's a backstreet world....we just live in it
Re: Engarde!!!! The Reading Duel challenge
« Reply #105 on: July 20, 2011, 11:27:59 AM »

Visions of Love by alota_cookin

I've read two chapters so far  and so far,so good. :-*

One question you'd like the person reading it to answer: Do you like the flow of the story and how it's unfolding?

Good so far but I wouldn't have the girls go 'off track' so much. Can't say to much through cause I just started.

« Last Edit: July 20, 2011, 11:34:46 AM by carterkid »

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #106 on: July 20, 2011, 11:34:58 AM »

Maybe I'm just stupid, but I'm getting a bit confused with this main character.  She started off as Mona and now seems to be called either Lisa or Lizzie?

Onwards I go though!  I do like the idea of AJ helping to transform her though and it's good to see that they are getting along.

kevmylove

• Minion of Mayhem
« Reply #107 on: July 20, 2011, 11:48:26 AM »

I started reading It Stays With You last night, but only reviewed on the chapters. Thought I would post something on the thread.

This is definitely not something I usually read, because it's creepy and about Brian. But I have to say that it's  well written and the cliffhangers just keep you coming back. I also like the smooth transitions from his dreams to what I think is reality.  Plus the bond between Nick and Brian is what I imagine it was back then!

Uh...ok I shall read some more later tonight.

Mellz Bellz

• Innocent Bystander
« Reply #108 on: July 20, 2011, 12:24:55 PM »

I'm reading 00Carter and I decided to respond to each chapter with a story review, but to give my analysis on each episode arc here. So I just finished the first three chapters "Carter... Nick Carter."

So far this arc was basically an introduction to the characters and the agency as a whole. In it we have Nick creating a ridiculous mission for himself to solve. We later learn that is out of boredom as he's been suspended from any real missions for some reason that has not yet been explained.

I thought the character introductions were done well as Nick went around and interrogated each one I felt like I was able to remember who was who and what their role in the agency is. Sometimes when you have stories with 10+ characters it can get confusing, but so far I am good. I also feel like I have a good sense of Nick's character throughout his actions in these past few chapters. So far he strikes me as the kind of agent who may not be the most skillful, but somehow always comes out on top somehow, although I'm sure a lot of the times it is by accident.

As far as any real Con Crit goes the only minor nitpicky thing that I noticed was a continuity error between Chapters 2 and 3 about what Nick was wearing. In Chapter 2 when he is in the elevator with Diamond you mention he is wearing a tie, but in Chapter 3 he is wearing a "snug black shirt and casual jean attire." Not a huge deal I know but for some reason I notice those minor details.

I am intrigued to keep reading and find out about Nick's next mission as well as how his last one went wrong.

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #109 on: July 20, 2011, 12:41:26 PM »

Since I finished Tooth Fairy, I thought I would read some of the other stories on my list. 

Stockholm Syndrome. (after 5 chapters)

I like how the beginning of the story jumps right into the action.  No background at the beginning but scattered throughout the story. 

The story is well-written but I expected nothing less from Julily.

I love the character development, even though they are the boys and you are trying to still stay true to who they are, since it's AU you are still providing ample explanation and examples of their personalities  I have a feeling you would do that if you were writing a canon story also.

I'm excited to see what all is going to go wrong.  Kidnappings never seem to go as planned and I can't wait to see what more can go wrong.

I do have to ask, what is a Publix?

I can't seem to stop reading the story though I shouldn't be on the internet so much since work doesn't "allow" it, but the story has me sucked in.
- Purpura -
   -Lore-

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #110 on: July 20, 2011, 12:56:43 PM »

I do have to ask, what is a Publix?

It's a grocery store. I like to be accurate as far as the stores in the regions where the story takes place lol I suppose that something I wrote nowadays I probably would have mentioned that but SS is a throwback! Glad you're enjoying it even if it's on work time lol

Edit: I forgot where I had even mentioned it so I went back and now I see it lol
« Last Edit: July 20, 2011, 01:13:27 PM by julilly »
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #111 on: July 20, 2011, 01:09:10 PM »

I'm reading 00Carter and I decided to respond to each chapter with a story review, but to give my analysis on each episode arc here. So I just finished the first three chapters "Carter... Nick Carter."

So far this arc was basically an introduction to the characters and the agency as a whole. In it we have Nick creating a ridiculous mission for himself to solve. We later learn that is out of boredom as he's been suspended from any real missions for some reason that has not yet been explained.

I thought the character introductions were done well as Nick went around and interrogated each one I felt like I was able to remember who was who and what their role in the agency is. Sometimes when you have stories with 10+ characters it can get confusing, but so far I am good. I also feel like I have a good sense of Nick's character throughout his actions in these past few chapters. So far he strikes me as the kind of agent who may not be the most skillful, but somehow always comes out on top somehow, although I'm sure a lot of the times it is by accident.

As far as any real Con Crit goes the only minor nitpicky thing that I noticed was a continuity error between Chapters 2 and 3 about what Nick was wearing. In Chapter 2 when he is in the elevator with Diamond you mention he is wearing a tie, but in Chapter 3 he is wearing a "snug black shirt and casual jean attire." Not a huge deal I know but for some reason I notice those minor details.

I am intrigued to keep reading and find out about Nick's next mission as well as how his last one went wrong.

Thanks for the great feedback, Mel!  Glad you are liking it so far and are able to keep the characters straight - that's impressive, considering there are so many of them!

This first episode isn't our favorite, 1) because it really is just an introductory episode, not much action, and 2) because the writing feels a lot choppier than our later episodes.  We still had 11 writers on the first episode, and that's a lot of people to get on the same page LOL.  We were still getting a feel for the characters and style of the story ourselves, not to mention each other as writers, in the first few episodes, so they are not nearly as strong as the later ones (Episode 4 and on), when we had gotten into our groove.  Thanks for mentioning the continuity error with the clothes; I'm supposed to be the one who puts everything together and proofreads to catch stuff like that, and I have never noticed that!  I'll have to fix that. :)
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

alota_cookin

• Commander of Confusion
« Reply #112 on: July 20, 2011, 02:30:23 PM »

Visions of Love by alota_cookin

Good so far but I wouldn't have the girls go 'off track' so much. Can't say to much through cause I just started.

Just a heads up...they ALL do it in this story, not just the girls. They are very random characters. LOL

alota_cookin

• Commander of Confusion
« Reply #113 on: July 20, 2011, 02:43:20 PM »

And I'm to like chapter 20 of It Stays With You.

I go from being sick to my stomach...to snickering...t o crying...to upset and angry...then back again. I can't really find much to critique about the story...I think it flows well and the characters have depth. I can't stand blood and guts kind of stuff (I even pass out, half the time, when I see real blood, LOL) but the story has me so hooked that I can't stop reading. Unfortunately I have to stop until I get back from my trip tho. Admittedly, I never EVER would have even thought about reading this, but I'm enjoying it...in a love/hate relationship kinda way. LMAO!

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #114 on: July 20, 2011, 02:48:01 PM »

I like the sound of that story Kris, I'm going to read it even though it's not on my list :)

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #115 on: July 20, 2011, 03:20:47 PM »

I started reading It Stays With You last night, but only reviewed on the chapters. Thought I would post something on the thread.

This is definitely not something I usually read, because it's creepy and about Brian. But I have to say that it's  well written and the cliffhangers just keep you coming back. I also like the smooth transitions from his dreams to what I think is reality.  Plus the bond between Nick and Brian is what I imagine it was back then!

Uh...ok I shall read some more later tonight.

Thanks Erika! It was a challenge for me to write a Brian story lol
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #116 on: July 20, 2011, 03:23:43 PM »

And I'm to like chapter 20 of It Stays With You.

I go from being sick to my stomach...to snickering...t o crying...to upset and angry...then back again. I can't really find much to critique about the story...I think it flows well and the characters have depth. I can't stand blood and guts kind of stuff (I even pass out, half the time, when I see real blood, LOL) but the story has me so hooked that I can't stop reading. Unfortunately I have to stop until I get back from my trip tho. Admittedly, I never EVER would have even thought about reading this, but I'm enjoying it...in a love/hate relationship kinda way. LMAO!

LOL thanks Kristal! Take a nice well deserved break from the madness that is my mind and enjoy yourself. I can't believe you are already on chapter 20! You guys are all doing a great job with reading..

I can say that I haven't read this much fanfic in a long time, between October Road, and Rose's and Steph's updates. It' kind of nice..
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #117 on: July 20, 2011, 03:56:47 PM »

Ok so I made it through the first 5 Chapters of Games. I must say I am intrigued by whatever it is attacking people. I really enjoyed the first chapter, kind of like the calm before the storm. I can't wait to see what is with the video game and attacking people. I am enjoying the story so far and now I am curious about the Supernatural show, I kind of want to watch now!

Sapphire

• Major Disruption
« Reply #118 on: July 20, 2011, 04:16:13 PM »

So read the first two chapters for Ice Cold Blood. Interesting start. Hope to find out how she got hurt soon.

Sapphire

• Major Disruption
« Reply #119 on: July 20, 2011, 04:17:13 PM »

^ good! I'm glad you're liking it so far, Kristal. Hope you don't have nightmares, i'll feel bad. LOL

I'm going to wait a few more chapters before I post my thoughts on October Road, but i'm enjoying it so far. :) and like I told Sapphire, being this is an AU AJ romance with none of the other guys in sight, this was going to be a real challenge for me. I mean, no one even gets a little hurt or turns evil? lol

No one is evil or hurt... for now. LOL
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 16