Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 16

Author Topic: Engarde!!!! The Reading Duel challenge  (Read 46427 times)

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
Re: Engarde!!!! The Reading Duel challenge
« Reply #165 on: July 22, 2011, 06:33:49 AM »

by now, everyone should have started reading their stories, so if you haven't, try to get on it! LOL I've been checking your feedback and for the most part, a lot of you have stepped up but i'm still not seeing some on some of the stories. So, hopefully that will change soon. :) With the exception of Steph who is reading two, everyone only has one story to worry about.
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

cabybakes

• Commander of Confusion
« Reply #166 on: July 22, 2011, 07:06:19 AM »

I've been out of town but I plan to start today!

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #167 on: July 22, 2011, 07:19:31 AM »

I'm up to Chapter 13 now and have to admit that at times, I'm finding it tough to read.  It's taking me a while to read because it just isn't holding my attention as much as I'd like.  There seems to be lots of things going on at once, like AJ and Sarah getting married but he's in love with his therapist who is in an unhappy marriage.  Mona/Lisa/Lizzie is suddenly a success after a meeting with some guy Denise recommended.  

I would drop the Lizzie name and probably call her Lis if I had to shorten her name, as it makes more sense if her name is Lisa.  Well actually, her name is Ramona, so I'd just stick to that.  

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #168 on: July 22, 2011, 07:21:12 AM »

I hope you aren't offended by my reviews, I don't mean to offend, I'm just pointing things out which would make it more reader friendly :)

myconfession

« Reply #169 on: July 22, 2011, 11:51:47 AM »

I expected to read Julilly's story last night, didn't expect my day yesterday would start off with hot boys five minutes after getting on the interstate, being honked at by the knight brothers and they almost made me hit a truck of watermelons. Jon's tweet was about me yesterday LMFAO!

I'm leaving to go home tomorrow so I will then! Got VIP and concert and Donnie's after party tonight!

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #170 on: July 22, 2011, 11:55:04 AM »

Sounds like fun! 

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #171 on: July 22, 2011, 02:23:43 PM »

I have another question to add to that survey for people who are reading stories that are not complete. Do you think after you are done reading what's there so far (and you only have to read however many chapters are there when the start of this challenge was given) Do you think you will continue to read the story through to the end to see what happens to the characters?

And for those of you reading completed stories, if there was a sequel, would you be curious enough to continue reading on?

I know some stories, neither question applies but I thought it would be a good one to ask.
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #172 on: July 22, 2011, 03:30:33 PM »

I'm on chapter 20 now.  Lisa's loving boyfriend just picked up a woman called Jenny in his taxi and then next thing we know, he's waking up in bed with her after a boozed up night.  He tells her he's got a girlfriend and is not interested and she swears revenge.  She's somehow got his phone and the next day Lisa calls his phone, only to hear how he's cheated on her.

AJ consoles her, then Marco shows up and says he's sorry.  But obviously she's pissed off with him and tells him where to go.

Still a lot of mistakes and the story still doesn't flow as well as it could, but it's got it's good points too.

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #173 on: July 22, 2011, 04:16:24 PM »

1) Name of the story you read and the author and what you feel the genre is. Your answer might be different then the authors.
My Mona Lisa by Summer03.  I'd say this is romance rather than romance/dramedy.  I thought dramedy was comedy and drama, there was no comedy in this story.

2) Would you have ever read this story if it wasn't a challenge?
I would've read the first couple of chapters and then clicked away due to the way it confuses the reader at times.

3) What was your favorite scene?
I liked it when they finally realised they were meant to be together.

4) Who was your favorite character and why?
I suppose I'll go for AJ because the other characters I couldn't really get a feel for them.

5) Overall tell us one reason why you think someone else should/or shouldn't read this story.
If you like pure romance with a nice happy ending then you might like it.  If you're picky about spellings and grammar and the flow of a story then this isn't for you.

6) Did it convert you to the genre it is? Would you be willing to read another story just like it?
I already like romance.

7) Give one piece of concrit that might help the author for future reference. This can be positive too, concrit doesn't always mean negative.
I would say to edit before posting.  I liked the whole idea of the plain girl getting her man in the end, but it could've come across a lot better.

8) This should be the question the author asked in their survey. Everyone's will be different.
It was kind of predictable, but then predictable doesn't mean it's a bad thing.

9) Would you recommend this story and author to another person? Why or why not
I hate this question, as I feel bad for saying what I'm going to say.  No, I wouldn't recommend this story.  I know Summer03 has written better, I enjoyed Seduction and don't recall it having the issues this one had with the grammar and flow.

10) Out of 10 stars what would you give this story?
Sorry again, but I'll give it 5

Now I feel like a major bitch, but I had to be honest.

Sapphire

• Major Disruption
« Reply #174 on: July 22, 2011, 05:12:32 PM »

I'm going to read more later tongiht. promise.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #175 on: July 22, 2011, 06:42:13 PM »

I'm up through Chapter 15 of "My Answer Is You."  I enjoyed this latest set of chapters because the main characters hit a major turning point in their relationship, yet there was some juiciness and drama, too.  I don't want to give too much away, so I'll stop there with the plot.

The characters in this story are solid.  They frustrate me sometimes because they act in ways I wouldn't, but even though I don't always agree with their decisions, I can understand the motivation behind them because of the way they've been developed.

I have a question for you, Rachel:  As you were writing this, did you tend to relate more to Josie or to Brian or to both equally?  Which character did you enjoy writing the most?
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #176 on: July 22, 2011, 07:15:59 PM »

Casual Thoughts - Chapter Four

Question...So Quinn's writing in the story, these are columns and not blogs? One thing about them, is that they read to me like like a livejournal blog. I'm not sure if that's what you intended, but that's how they come across. I could also be looking at it the wrong way, not sure.

They're really good for getting her voice into the story. Since this is 3rd person and all, I do like how it finds a way get her telling of the story in.
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

colorguard_diva

• Major Disruption
« Reply #177 on: July 22, 2011, 07:21:15 PM »

I'm up through Chapter 15 of "My Answer Is You."  I enjoyed this latest set of chapters because the main characters hit a major turning point in their relationship, yet there was some juiciness and drama, too.  I don't want to give too much away, so I'll stop there with the plot.

The characters in this story are solid.  They frustrate me sometimes because they act in ways I wouldn't, but even though I don't always agree with their decisions, I can understand the motivation behind them because of the way they've been developed.

I have a question for you, Rachel:  As you were writing this, did you tend to relate more to Josie or to Brian or to both equally?  Which character did you enjoy writing the most?

Julie,your questions really made me think. I think in different parts of the story I related to Josie and in other parts Brian. I think this is why I tend to write what both were thinking. I tend to feel for both characters at times. Both have valid points and at other times they make me furious. In the end, I think I related more to Josie.

I had fun writing Brian because I got to show him as less than perfect. That presented me with a challenge, especially writing about Brian for the first time.

Sapphire

• Major Disruption
« Reply #178 on: July 22, 2011, 07:30:41 PM »

Okay so I read chapters 3-6 of Ice Cold Blood. It explains how the Boys became vampires. Which was a good explanation but it didn't explain how the first Boy, the one who changed the others, became a vampire. Kinda wondering if that will come out later on.

colorguard_diva

• Major Disruption
« Reply #179 on: July 22, 2011, 07:53:10 PM »

I'm reading Room 438. I've read the first 6 chapters. The first few chapters moved slow for me, but chapters five and six moved faster and it's setting the main part of the storyline.

Kevin and Danielle's relationship seems a little strained when they are together. More on her part then Kevin's.

I like that their are two people stalking definitely makes it more exciting, especially since one is close to Danielle. I didn't see that comimg.

I'm looking forward to reading more.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 16