Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Pick Three! (Alternate Universe)  (Read 4037 times)

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
Re: Pick Three! (Alternate Universe)
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2011, 07:42:40 AM »

Thanks Pammy! :)
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2011, 02:19:21 PM »

Telling people why I think they would enjoy something is hard for me. How do I know whether they'll enjoy it? lol So I think I'll keep it to why I enjoy(ed) it!

1. On The Rails by Filiklepto

Seriously I love historical AU. I'm kind of a history buff, and I especially enjoy when an author puts a lot of time into learning and researching about a different period of time. It really shows! With this story in particular I think the Boys are as close to their real personalities as they can be given that some of them have the same profession, only many years earlier. It's a lovely story, I look forward to more of it.

2. Between the Lines by Carrie

I know everyone else has already mentioned this, but I had to include it too. This was one of the first AU fics I read and absolutely loved. It was part of what encouraged me to write in the genre. Again, it's a perfect example of someone who truly knows what they're talking about. There was never a doubt in my mind that everything she said about baseball was true. I find with a lot of canon fics there's a lot of incorrect assumptions about the music business, media, etc. Many AU fics are much better researched.

3. Whitmore Lake by Honey

The fact that I love a Brian fic should speak volumes about why I chose this. I don't love Brian fics lol
This is just one of those stories that I will never forget reading and just really stuck with me. It was a cute story and just a good read.
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2011, 02:26:40 PM »

I love On The Rails and Whitmore Lake too

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2011, 04:20:10 PM »

On the Rails is an excellent fic!! God, I am so bad at remembering stories. I think i'll just come in and keep saying, "Oh yes! That one is awesome!" lol
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2011, 07:18:54 AM »

I find with a lot of canon fics there's a lot of incorrect assumptions about the music business, media, etc. Many AU fics are much better researched.

That's so true, and it's one of the things I like about writing AU.  I am a stickler for doing research and making things believable, but I don't know that much about the music business, at least not from the perspective of someone who's in it, and it's a tough thing to research.  It's nice not to have to worry about writing about touring and recording and all that stuff in an AU.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

Kentuckychickrk

• Captain of Commotion
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2011, 11:48:23 PM »

I am soooo far behind... so I'm gonna try to catch up on all of these tonight/tomorrow  :P

AU... here goes...

Song for the Undead -- I think I've said this repeatedly, so I don't feel the need to go into too much detail, but this story could stand on it's own, without being "fanfiction" easily.  I would buy the book!

The Time Watcher -- Loved this story -- wish Pengi would continue it *hint hint*

On The Rails -- Love the history in this one!  And it's so well written!!
-- Rachel --

*And in that line now was a whiskered old man, with a linen cap and a crooked nose, who waited in a place called the Stardust Band Shell to share his part of the secret of Heaven; that each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one.*
-- Mitch Album

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2011, 11:54:13 PM »

Thanks again, Rachel!!  That's the biggest compliment anyone could give.  It would be fun to try to turn Undead into a book someday.  We'd have to take out/rewrite some parts, but it wouldn't take too much work to de-fanfic-ize.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

Alexsgirl_ritz

• Major Disruption
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2011, 03:05:08 AM »

I am not really into AU. I don't exactly know why lol

The first AU that I checked out is Just one kiss by Kevmylove, because I thought it wasn't an AU since she only added the AU on the genre on 3rd chapter. But I loved it and waiting for her updates.  :)

Stockholm Syndrome - I loved this one, too. I checked this out because the summary was very interesting, and I loved it. It was very well written.

I think I have to check out your favorites, guys.  :)
A world without Alex is a wasted space.

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2011, 11:27:16 PM »

Thanks Rachel! That's just such a flattering and huge compliment. Julie and I have talked about the idea of going OF with it someday once we finished the FF. Cause like she said, it wouldn't take as much as it would with other stuff we've written to make the change. So once again, thank you! Best compliment any reader could ever give. :)
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury
Pages: 1 [2]