Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Pick Three! (Alternate Universe)  (Read 4036 times)

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
Pick Three! (Alternate Universe)
« on: July 27, 2011, 06:05:56 AM »

This is another thing i'm going to do every few weeks or so.

Anyone who reads AU, now's the time to tell us your three favorite picks and why you enjoyed them so much and why you think we might enjoy them.

You can only name three. If you don't have three then name your favorite one or two.

:)

Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
Re: Pick Three! (Alternate Universe)
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2011, 09:18:42 PM »

Since no one has posted in here yet, I figured i'll go first.

I only really have one that i'd recommend and that's Yesterday's Blue Skies by Just_Marina. This story is so complex and layerd it's ridiculous. It's a sci-fi as well but the guys are not BSB but are related which is what drew me in. Kevin, Brian and Nick are brothers and AJ and Howie are their cousins. It's not completed and Maria isn't the best with updating but I promise if you read it, you'll get sucked in. :)

Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2011, 09:41:14 PM »

Oops, I saw this earlier and then promptly forgot about it after going into the debate thread!

Here are my picks:

"Between the Lines" by Carrie: http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=9179
This is my favorite AU and the story that made me truly appreciate how good AUs can be.  It's about the guys as Seattle Mariners baseball players, which seems pretty random, but it's perfect because the brotherly bond they have as bandmates in real life works for them as teammates, too.  The story progresses through one memorable season, and you see their bond with each other and their families/significant others, too.  All five guys get a starring role, so it's definitely a group story, and their personalities make them seem like the same lovable guys we write fanfics about.  It'll make you laugh and cry.

"Happenstance" by Bianca: http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=5453
This is one of the rare romances I've read and enjoyed that doesn't rely on a lot of outside drama to make a good story.  It's about Nick, who is just a regular guy living in a small town on the coast of North Carolina, and he literally runs into an older, married woman, and they have a summer romance/affair.  It's very Nicholas Sparks.  If you read romance outside of fanfic, it's worth checking out, because it's very well-written and reads like a non-trashy romance novel.

"On the Outside" by Amy: http://www.angelfire.com/ny2/dreamcastle/ontheoutside.htm
I never would have read this story if it hadn't been for Mare and her old fanfic discussion group, but I did for that, and I ended up really enjoying it.  It's a story inspired by "The Outsiders" about the guys as kids/teenagers who are orphaned or don't come from good families, living in poverty or on the streets, and they form a friendship and help each other to survive.  It's been a long time since I've read it, so that's probably not a great summary of it, but I remember it being well-written and kinda cute, and again,  it builds that brotherly bond well.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2011, 04:29:10 PM »

I enjoyed both On the Outside and Between the Lines as well. I don't really remember Between the Lines but I do remember it making me an emotional wreck at one point. LOL

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2011, 08:56:42 PM »

Does no one else have an AU they enjoy?  How come I'm the only one besides Mare who did this? LOL  I'm sure there are plenty of people on the board who read more AUs than me!
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2011, 09:06:16 PM »

I don't know! LOL Considering there are so many people who write them I'm surprised as well. The only reason I went with AU first is because they seem to be so popular.

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2011, 10:02:26 PM »

The only one I can list is Stockholm Syndrome.  I know I've read more but am not sure what they are. 
- Purpura -
   -Lore-

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2011, 07:38:42 AM »

I would've replied sooner but I've had a busy week and haven't got around to it until now :)

I love AU stories and three of my favourites are :-

Song For The Undead
This is my favourite AU.  The boys are all in it but Nick is a failed actor, Howie a business man, Kevin in the armed forces, AJ a tortured artist who is battling his addictions and Brian is a pastor  (I think, or something like that) and along with 5 others, they seem to be the only survivors against an airborne disease that turns the rest of the nation into zombies.  I could go on all day about how brilliant this story is and I really would love to see it turned into a real book and a movie.

Stockholm Syndrome
Another one I love.  This one is about a gang of criminals who kidnap a rich girl but they treat one of the gang really bad (Nick).  He ends up having to look after the kidnapped girl and begins to lose faith in his friends.  I won't give any more away, but recommend it.

Sinister Devotion
I love this one too!  All the boys are in it in some form, but it's mainly AJ, who is a hitman going by the name of Jack D.  He's ruthless and only cares about his car, until he meets Crystal that is.  But I'll say no more because I don't want to give anything else away.

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2011, 07:51:19 AM »

Hmmm my three picks would have to be

"00Carter"- this was probably the first AU I ever read and I really enjoy it. Plus Nick as a secret agent and Howie a maniacal villian...you can't go wrong.

"Song For The Undead"- one word: Zombies!!!!

"Homecoming" I really enjoy science fiction. And its an AU, Kevin is a space captain that seems to have been through something traumatic. The other boys are in it as well...I really like the story so far.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2011, 08:04:02 AM »

Steph, thanks for the HUGE compliment, and Tracy, thanks for mentioning both our collabs! :)  Collaborating is what turned me on to writing AUs, and 00Carter and Undead have both been a blast to write!
~Julie

kevmylove

• Minion of Mayhem
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2011, 02:46:33 PM »

I haven't read as much AU as I thought I had...oops. Here are two that i remember...

The Fast Lane- It's about the guys being car racers and they've got a bunch of drama. I'm sorry, I read this a few years back.

Searching for Mercy- I LOVE this story! It's about the guys growing up in a small town and all being close friends, even leighanne. The years go by and they all do their own thing and some even leave town. One day tragedy strikes involving Kevin, which makes them all come back to town and of course the drama unfolds. (I didn't even mind that the wives were in it) If you haven't read it...definatel y check it out!

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2011, 05:44:18 PM »

Wow, thank you Steph! That's a huge compliment and I'm really flattered! :)

And Tracy, ditto on what Julie said. Thank you for naming both Undead and 00Carter.

I'll be back in here with my own picks.
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

ForeverFrick

• Major Disruption
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2011, 06:14:12 PM »

I agree about Song For the Undead.  It kind of reminded me of Heroes- where you have the huge cast of characters and then their storylines begin to overlap in a rather epic way.  I'm hoping I can catch up on that story this month before I start teaching, when I feel I'll never have time to read for pleasure again. haha. 

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2011, 06:36:37 PM »

Aww, thank you!  I loved Heroes!  And I've always wanted to write an epic kind of story like that, so I have to thank Rose for helping me to do so.  Hopefully you find some time to read.  Once the school year starts, I usually read right before I go to bed to unwind.
~Julie

balance

• Innocent Bystander
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2011, 11:18:26 PM »

Two popped into my head real quick: "Scars Run Deep and Wide" and its sequel; and, "Mel's Tree" and its sequels.  I love the drama and mystery in "Scars;" and I couldn't resist a young angsty Nick in "Mel's."  All of these stories were written by Mare.
Pammy Whammy
Pages: [1] 2