Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Author Topic: Home Workouts  (Read 346 times)

Karen

• Major Disruption
  • You only live once.
    • drivebylove
Home Workouts
« on: July 29, 2011, 12:06:01 AM »

I'm trying to cut costs and I don't want to start paying again for a gym membership and/or personal trainer. I know I can do much better with it, so I may break down and get a trainer but...I was wondering what you guys do at home that is making a difference? Do you have DVDs? Does Wii Fit really work? I know there are ones like Jillian's 30 Day Shred, P90x, Insanity and Leslie Sansone's Walk At Home that are pretty popular. I was thinking of getting a Zumba set or yoga or Pilates or belly dancing. Can you tell that I'm pretty indecisive? I'd love suggestions for fun workouts that are actually worth buying. Also, what equipment do you use?
Find me @ drivebylove, ac

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
Re: Home Workouts
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2011, 12:45:30 AM »

I walk outside whenever I can, but when the weather's bad, I do either workout DVDs or free workouts from Exercise TV OnDemand.  The Leslie Sansone ones are easy, but good if you do more than the one-mile one.  I have a three-mile one that uses weights and lasts about 45 minutes, so that's a good workout.  If I don't have as much time or energy, there are usually some two-mile ones on OnDemand that take 20-30 minutes.

I also have an old Tae Bo cardio DVD that is a great workout, and also Slim in 6, which is not much fun, but good for working out all the muscle groups.

My favorite workout DVD is actually a Dancing With the Stars one I got at Walmart for 10 bucks.  It has three 15-minute dance workouts - swing, jive, and quickstep - plus a 5-minute cooldown.  There are similar DVDs with other dances, but I really like this one.  You learn a whole dance routine and get a great workout in 15 minutes.  I am always sweating and out of breath by the end of one.  You can combine them for a longer workout, but I usually need a break after one LOL.  They're fun, though, if you like to dance!
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2011, 12:57:50 AM »

I take a Zumba class so I'm not sure what the DVD's are like but I know my instructors routines so I tend to do those at home, I have the songs too, yes I'm a nut.  I have a Pilates DVD that I throw on every now and then.

I got a Kettlebell from Wal-mart and it comes with a quick info sheet with exercises and also a DVD.  When I do some of the lifting I'm out of breath because they are cardio weights. 

My friend from work SWEARS by the exercise TV ONDemand, she's upset that the Jillian Michaels ones went away but she's got a few others.

You should look into a dance workout in some way, they are fun and don't feel as much like working out.  Also, I read somewhere that dancing helps improve your brain power. :)
- Purpura -
   -Lore-

cabybakes

• Commander of Confusion
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2011, 06:59:01 AM »

P90x is very good!!!  I know a lot of people who have done it and seen amazing results and really toned up.  You use weights with it, and there are different workouts for different days.

You can always run or walk outside for cardio, then get a ball, some handweights and a resistance band and do a lot of exercises with those tools.  There are tons of online workouts.

Good luck!