Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Concrit  (Read 4723 times)

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
Concrit
« on: August 07, 2011, 01:24:53 AM »

I feel this subject is pretty relevant because of the reading challenge. :)

I was looking at an old fantasy story I started three years ago because of the sci-fi/fantasy discussion. I stopped after awhile cause I felt I needed to change some things and basically do a rewrite. But I got lazy and just wrote other ideas instead.

Anywho, I was looking at it tonight, and I was a little appalled at my tense issues. I switched a lot between past and present, and really I forgot how that used to be a major issue in my writing. A look at my reviews and it was Julie who reviewed and pointed it out to me, reminded me of how that really got me to look close at my writing and make a point to fix that. Because it was Julie, we were friends and collaborating at that point, and I knew she was trying to help.

In three years I feel like a completely different writer than I was then.

How do you guys feel about concrit, has there been a case where you got some and it helped you turn your writing around?

Do you get offended when you see concrit? I know some people get defensive about it at times. Why?
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
Re: Concrit
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2011, 02:12:44 AM »

Aww, I'm glad to hear this!  I forgot I had pointed that out to you.  I'm kind of surprised I was that ballsy, because even though we all know I'm a Grammar Nazi, I usually try to avoid being a Grammar Nazi in reviews, unless the author asks for that kind of a critique.  I never want to inadvertently hurt someone's feelings, especially a friend's.  But I guess I knew you could take it without getting offended, and obviously, I thought the story was good enough that fixing that one thing would take it from good to great.  And as someone who has been reading and sometimes proofreading your writing for the last five or so years, I can honestly say I see a huge difference too!  You don't switch tenses like that at all anymore!  Most people I've pointed out grammar issues to don't fix them or can't fix them because they just really don't get it, so thank the Grammar God for writers like you!  There's still hope for the rest! LOL

In all seriousness, I think constructive criticism can be, as it should be, very helpful.  I also know that it can be tough to hear, especially when you're a newer writer or haven't gotten much before.  Once you figure out how to accept it and learn from it without getting offended, you'll be able to use it to become an even better writer.  It just takes time and experience for some people to get to that point.

I think the key is asking yourself, what is this person trying to tell me, why are they bothering to tell me, and are they right?  Usually people only take the time to give constructive criticism when they think the story has potential, unless they're reading it because they were required to (judging, reading challenge, author request, etc.).  If the writing's hopeless, why even bother leaving a review?  I only give constructive criticism when I can sandwich it between genuine compliments about the story.  If I can't say something nice, I just don't say anything (the Thumper rule).  As far as whether or not the reviewer is right, some concrit could be subjective, if it's based on their opinion on something that happened in the story, but if it's about grammar, plot inconsistencie s, or misinformation, chances are, they're right, and you should listen to them and fix what you can or at least try to learn from the mistake (like, when in doubt, look it up!).
« Last Edit: August 07, 2011, 02:14:38 AM by RokofAges75 »
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2011, 08:04:30 AM »

I think concrit could be a really great thing in general. Writing is such a learning process and I think helping each other out is an important part of that process.

I tend to only give concrit if someone asks for it. Like you both were saying, if there are so many mistakes grammatically I used to just click out of the story, but now as a mod I don't do that. I point out problems and have even gone so far as to take the time to post their chapter in my reply to them and show them how to fix their mistakes. Nine out of ten times they never fiix what I point out, which means they don't really care in the first place.

The tricky concrit is when you know it's subjective. You are not always going to like the same thing I do. That's why I have a huge problem with judged fanfic awards etc... Sometimes people mistake opinion for concrit. If I say I didn't like it, it was boring. Then as a writer you have a choice, you can either take that and say "Wow, I must be really boring." Or "Well, thats because she doesn't enjoy historical romance etc..." But if all you get are people telling you, "This is slow moving and boring," That's when you should consider that maybe it is?

I have learned to separate my opinion on the story for the actual quality of the fic. I might no enjoy it, but if the writing quality is there, I learn to keep some things to myself and use that thumper rule lol Unless that something is a technical thing or  if they asked for it like the reading challenge.

I really don't get all that much concrit, actually. Sometimes I wish I did, especially at the beginning because like you Rose, I had the same problem at first with switching tenses and POV (I had a habit of switching from first to third a lot! lol) I am the one who would catch it though. I'm not sure if people were afriad to say something or they didn't pick it up either.

It is hard to hear something negative about your work, especially when you are really proud of it, but like everything you have to take it like a grain of salt. That's why I always say, just consider the source of the concrit. If it's coming from someone that you trust as a writer and you know they know what they're talking about, then take it to heart and try to learn for it. If it's someone who makes a ton of errors themselves and it's an issue other than grammar, like "Yous suk becuz they didn't get marryed." well then, there ya go! lol

Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2011, 09:35:12 AM »

I think if someone were to offer me some concrit, I'd be fine with it because it would help me to put right where I've gone wrong and help me to become a better writer.  I don't think I'd take it the wrong way, especially if it was coming from writers I respect.  I wouldn't be OK with someone saying something like "Your story is crap" because that's not concrit but a matter of personal taste.  But I wouldn't let it get to me too much :) 

I'm not usually one to give concrit, but I did in the reading challenge.

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2011, 09:47:51 AM »

I have a strange relationship with concrit.  I want to know what I can do to improve but I don't like being called out on my mistakes. 
- Purpura -
   -Lore-

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2011, 09:54:34 AM »

^ I don't think anyone likes that lol
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2011, 10:01:25 AM »

I have a strange relationship with concrit.  I want to know what I can do to improve but I don't like being called out on my mistakes. 

Yeah, it can be hard to acknowledge it, but as long as the person giving it does so in a positive way, then it's not so bad.

kevmylove

• Minion of Mayhem
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2011, 04:16:01 PM »

This is a good subject! I'm definately not one to give cocrit, just because I know I'm not the greatest writer. So, I feel I don't have the right to...if that makes sense.

I don't mind getting concrit though. Although sometimes it's scary to me...I don't want to hear that I suck at what I love doing. Fortunately, I haven't gotten told that yet. lol. When I first posted on here it was Safest Place my Kevin story and it was only 12 chapters long. Mel (Mellz Bellz) was one of the first to review and she let me know about the whole putting my story in paragraphs and seperating dialogue and even how my story was missing a lot of the needed details.  So that concrit helped me out a lot, because I started to seperate my work into chapters and added more to my story. Thanks Mel. I had Julie give me pointers on Sinister Devotion about my punctation. Sadly, I'm such a hard head that I can't get it down. I definately have to go back and fix my coma crazy chapters. Thanks Julie!

Anyways, I don't mind getting concrit as long as it's not in a mean way. Cause I know that there are some people that do tend to sound mean when they give it. It also depends on who it is, it's actually exciting to get it from some of the top writers on the site!  ;)   

Sapphire

• Major Disruption
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2011, 04:28:08 PM »

This is a good subject! I'm definately not one to give cocrit, just because I know I'm not the greatest writer. So, I feel I don't have the right to...if that makes sense.

I don't mind getting concrit though. Although sometimes it's scary to me...I don't want to hear that I suck at what I love doing.   

I have to agree with Erica. I want to know what people honestly think but at the same if they think it competely sucks, I don't really want to be told that because it will make me give up. I enjoying writing because most days my fantasy world is better than my real world. I like the reviews I get but sometimes when all they say is, "loved it" or just "cute", I'm like "that's it?" That why I appreciate the feedback i got from mare on October Rd. I mean yeah it kinda bothered me when she said it was slow in some places but overall I felt the feedback was good and will try to keep it in mind as I continue writing.

I think concrit is a love/hate relationship.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2011, 04:28:58 PM »

No problem, Erika!  I am always up for helping with the grammar side of things, if I'm asked, because that's an area of strength for me, and it's something that's objective.  It's easy to give constructive criticism for that.  It's harder when it's an area of writing that is more subjective, as most are.
~Julie

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2011, 04:35:45 PM »

Honestly, I don't think anyone who would actually tell you "this sucks" is worth even listening to.  If a writer can't come up with a more tactful way to give her opinion, she must not be that great of a writer herself.  Flaming comes from a place of insecurity, the desire to make someone else feel bad about her writing to make up for one's own shortcomings.  It's just another form of cyberbullying.  That's why they had to get rid of anonymous reviewing and require you to log in in order to leave a review, because of people who flamed and didn't even have the balls to do it under their own name.  Flaming is cowardly and classless and shouldn't be taken seriously.

Constructive criticism is different because it's meant to HELP the writer, not hurt her.
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2011, 05:44:30 PM »

^ exactly. That's why I always say to consider the source. If all someone can say is it's sucks with no explaination of why, than why bother listening to that? Chances are that person most likely can't even put together a complete sentence anyway. LOL

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2011, 06:20:16 PM »

Aww, I'm glad to hear this!  I forgot I had pointed that out to you.  I'm kind of surprised I was that ballsy, because even though we all know I'm a Grammar Nazi, I usually try to avoid being a Grammar Nazi in reviews, unless the author asks for that kind of a critique.  I never want to inadvertently hurt someone's feelings, especially a friend's.  But I guess I knew you could take it without getting offended, and obviously, I thought the story was good enough that fixing that one thing would take it from good to great.  And as someone who has been reading and sometimes proofreading your writing for the last five or so years, I can honestly say I see a huge difference too!  You don't switch tenses like that at all anymore!  Most people I've pointed out grammar issues to don't fix them or can't fix them because they just really don't get it, so thank the Grammar God for writers like you!  There's still hope for the rest! LOL

In all seriousness, I think constructive criticism can be, as it should be, very helpful.  I also know that it can be tough to hear, especially when you're a newer writer or haven't gotten much before.  Once you figure out how to accept it and learn from it without getting offended, you'll be able to use it to become an even better writer.  It just takes time and experience for some people to get to that point.

I think the key is asking yourself, what is this person trying to tell me, why are they bothering to tell me, and are they right?  Usually people only take the time to give constructive criticism when they think the story has potential, unless they're reading it because they were required to (judging, reading challenge, author request, etc.).  If the writing's hopeless, why even bother leaving a review?  I only give constructive criticism when I can sandwich it between genuine compliments about the story.  If I can't say something nice, I just don't say anything (the Thumper rule).  As far as whether or not the reviewer is right, some concrit could be subjective, if it's based on their opinion on something that happened in the story, but if it's about grammar, plot inconsistencie s, or misinformation, chances are, they're right, and you should listen to them and fix what you can or at least try to learn from the mistake (like, when in doubt, look it up!).

I did too till I saw it LOL. I am too, but I think it might've been because by that point we were pretty comfortable with each other. And thank you! It's good hearing that from a more objective source. Cause I think I'm past those issues too, but of course I'm biased haha. It's one of the first things I look for when I skim through for errors.

I think it can be too. I used to be really sensitive to it once, but as the years went by, I found myself welcoming it. Cause how else can you improve? Case in point, myself lol. I had an issue I knew about, but brushed off till a friend pointed it out to me kindly, and I finally took it seriously. So again, thank you.

I don't really give out concrit when I probably should sometimes. I always think I'm not one to say anything cause I used to do that too. But, thinking about it, that should probably be a reason TO give it I guess LOL.
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2011, 06:57:22 PM »

Honestly I like concrit. I wish I got more of it, it would help a Lot

Alexsgirl_ritz

• Major Disruption
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2011, 10:33:13 AM »

Concrit is what a new writer like me wants to hear. It feels good when you know someone is reading your story and telling you they liked it and can't wait for more update. But there are times when you wanted/needed more than that. I have so many ideas running through my mind but because English is not my native language, I find it hard to put it into words. That's why it's very important to me to know if my readers are actually undertstanding what I meant.

I would want to hear a feedback about my grammar, since I know I'm not very good at it. And with the punctuations, I sometimes find it hard to know when to use , or ; . It sometimes drive me crazy. :)

So I wish there would be people to give me concrit to help me improve, because I want to be a better writer. :)
A world without Alex is a wasted space.
Pages: [1] 2