Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: The no copy cats club  (Read 4413 times)

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
The no copy cats club
« on: April 22, 2012, 05:30:41 PM »

Just thought I'd open a thread if anyone wanted to comment on the plaigerizing thing. it's funny because I said to Julilly how surprised I was that no one was commenting on it not realizing that the thread was locked lol so, there ya go. Not that there's all that much to
Say :/
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
Re: The no copy cats club
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2012, 05:47:14 PM »

I got a lot of my bitching about it out on twitter! lol
~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2012, 07:58:22 PM »

I vented a bit on twitter as well, but I told my friend about the plagiarism and she was shocked. She was reading the story....she's one of those people who reads and doesn't review. But she was upset when she found out the girl has copied the story word for word. I am appalled people even do this because (not to say writing fanfic is easy) but if you have an imagination, there is no reason why someone couldn't make up their own. Stealing in any shape or form to me is wrong.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2012, 10:28:48 PM »

I can't believe people still do this... especially here, when we've made such a huge deal about it before.  I really don't understand it.  I can understand how laziness and lack of creativity/work ethic could prompt someone to steal someone else's story rather than write their own, but I don't understand how anyone could think that's okay or feel any sort of pride in the reviews they receive for a story someone else wrote.  The whole thing is just appalling.  I'm glad she was caught, and I hope people who enjoyed the stories will take a moment to let the real writers know and continue to follow them on Fictionpress.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2012, 11:48:15 PM »

I saw that one of the original authors took her story down off fictionpress because of this. Really sad that being of morons like this, things like that have to happen. I'd be so angry if anyone ever ripped my stuff off like that. What do you get out of getting reviews for something you didn't write? Oooh yay, you learned how to use find/replace! Congratulation s!
~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2012, 05:46:18 AM »

I was going to come in and mention that one of the authors took her stuff off the site. I feel bad for her. It sucks when people copy your stuff. What makes it worse is this girl is by no means dumb, which they usually are. Just reading the replies to her 'reviews' and how she did take the time to actually change all names etc... says she was really calculating in doing this. She knew it was wrong and tried really hard to cover it up. Add to it, her brilliant reply to us when she was caught, no remorse or sadness or I promise I won't do it again but a F you and your stupid site lol sums it up. I just hope she doesn't try to do it again somewhere else. There always is that I Heart Horses place! I can't remember the name of the band lmao
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2012, 06:29:50 AM »

Haha, Refresh... Busted and McFly!  Yeah, I hope this chick doesn't become the next Tanja.  How classy of her with that reply, by the way.  I guess that just shows the complete lack of creativity that caused her to steal other people's stories instead of come up with her own.
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2012, 06:45:12 AM »

Refresh! God, why can't I ever remember that lol

VeeLynn

• Innocent Bystander
    • Dragon Age: Into The Fire
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2012, 11:17:51 AM »

I don't read, so I would have no idea if anyone was stealing what I wrote. Plus I write romance who would steal that shit.  :shrug: :D
The writer formally known as ScoobieGang. :D

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2012, 05:39:04 PM »

I used to Google lines of stories periodically to make sure Tanja wasn't back to her evil ways.  I'm sure she's plagiarizing something somewhere, but I think she's learned not to mess with the BSB fandom anymore.  We're onto her!
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2012, 06:11:49 PM »

When people want to steal they will steal anything. Tanja plaigerized pretty much any genre you can think of and in this past case, all three of these were original fictions. I don't get it and never will lol plaigerists boggle my mind.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2012, 06:24:07 PM »

I can only imagine these writers' reactions when they found out this chick copied their stories, replaced their original characters with the Backstreet Boys, and reposted them as BSB fanfics.  That's even worse than Tanja replacing our boys with Busted and McFly.
~Julie

rachel21

• Captain of Commotion
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2012, 11:38:25 PM »

I can't believe she showed no remorse. That pisses me off even more.I knew something was off with her stories and didn't want to believe it. I even tried googling Better Late Than Never because I had a feeling something was amiss (Nicks eye color would go from amber to blue) But it wasn't until I was reading Red Backpack that realized that her writing wasn't consistent. You know what through me off? The fact that god was censored. Given the nature of the other stories it totally confused me. So I searched Red Backpack and it was the first thing that came up on google search. Now I did think that she might have changed her alias and character names but I looked up Better Late Than Never on the same site and there it was, by a different author. SMH. I'm just glad that I got to tell the original author that I loved her story. And that I wasn't going crazy. LOL

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2012, 02:52:52 PM »

I really don't understand people who steal other people's work and try to pass it off as their own.  I feel sorry for the real author feeling the need to take her story down because of some stupid girl.  And for her to show no remorse either just shows what kind of person she is.

If people can't think of their own story then they shouldn't write!

I think being inspired by something you've seen/read is different though.  I've read some Twilight fanfics in the past which were better stories than the Stephenie Meyer ones!  I've also got a story I'm currently writing which is inspired by lots of films I've seen over the years, and also real life stories. 

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2012, 03:11:28 PM »

Yeah, I don't understand it either. I mean even if you live someone's story you could always just ask them if it's ok if they turn it into a bsb story. You never know, they might say yes, but to just steal it and claim it as your own is just so weird to me. It has to be some kind of illness.
Pages: [1] 2