Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 14

Author Topic: 50 Shades of Grey - kinda curious on everyone's thoughts  (Read 41231 times)

Pengi

• Minion of Mayhem
  • spread the llamalove
    • Tweet Me
Re: 50 Shades of Grey - kinda curious on everyone's thoughts
« Reply #105 on: June 13, 2012, 08:14:22 AM »

I just now saw the bit about Nick screaming in ecstasy over the word "Mine" being carved into his flesh. First off, I read the word "mine" in a seagull voice from Finding Nemo.

Mine! Mine! Mine!

Second, Nick's kinky enough that he really *would* like that. He'd be like "oh dude, a new tatto!"

:crazy:
:penguin: PENGi :penguin:

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #106 on: June 13, 2012, 10:15:56 AM »

Now which boy would read for Hermionie? LOL
- Purpura -
   -Lore-

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #107 on: June 13, 2012, 04:38:35 PM »

Howie! Duh lol
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

twofaced

• Fledgling
« Reply #108 on: June 13, 2012, 06:52:46 PM »

My dearest, dearest friends

I did not date until I was 21 BUT you can't say I wasn't attracted to several, several guys...

:) 

thanks for giving me more reason to stay away from it

Oh purpura, you always make me giggle ;) You truly are my dearest, dearest friend.

twofaced

• Fledgling
« Reply #109 on: June 13, 2012, 06:57:29 PM »

I have to admit, I can see the appeal of Twilight; I plowed through all four of those books in two weeks, so there had to be something there.  That said, I had a hard time trying to reread them.  I'm the kind of reader who reads good books over and over again, but they just didn't hold my attention like they did the first time.  I think the reason I read them so fast was just to see how the storyline would turn out, not because they were actually good.  Turns out, the way the storyline ends is a huge letdown that makes the other books basically pointless, and Edward is a huge creeper.  Even Jacob is creepy by the end.  I've still seen all the movies (and yes, Breaking Dawn Part 1 was really bad), but I believe people who make fun of them are completely justified in doing so LOL.

I completely agree with you on the ending. As I mentioned before, I read Twilight to answer questions that rose up in youth group, and I was OBSESSED. I LOVED the books. And then I read #4. You remember the term "jumped the shark"? The point when a storyline becomes so ridiculous, it jumped the shark, ala Fonzi in Happy Days? I totally think that Twilight jumped the shark, like Stephenie herself said "Shit, I've been writing this crap too long, I must shove every happy ending into this last book so I can finally be done with it!" and voila, Breaking Dawn... When I read Breaking Dawn, I went from loving Twilight and telling everyone how great it was into making fun of it.  And now to try and make it through a fanfic... *sigh* Let's see if I can actually read chapter 2, I've started it twice...

twofaced

• Fledgling
« Reply #110 on: June 13, 2012, 07:02:44 PM »

Also, I saw a girl at work with one of the fifty shades books and simply said, "Oh, you're reading the series?" and even she kind of gave me a "don't judge me please" look and said, "Yeah, I'm kind of liking it..." I had to giggle at that. I told her I had just started on #1 and she said "OMG Don't you love it?" and I simply said "I've only read chapter one... Love is not the word I would use..." then she told me it gets better at chapter 8.... Not sure I can hold out for chapter 8....

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #111 on: June 13, 2012, 07:26:58 PM »

Chapter 8 must be where they do it for the first time. I'm on chapter 6 I think. I highly doubt I will make it to the end to be honest.
~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #112 on: June 13, 2012, 08:08:24 PM »

I completely agree with you on the ending. As I mentioned before, I read Twilight to answer questions that rose up in youth group, and I was OBSESSED. I LOVED the books. And then I read #4. You remember the term "jumped the shark"? The point when a storyline becomes so ridiculous, it jumped the shark, ala Fonzi in Happy Days? I totally think that Twilight jumped the shark, like Stephenie herself said "Shit, I've been writing this crap too long, I must shove every happy ending into this last book so I can finally be done with it!" and voila, Breaking Dawn... When I read Breaking Dawn, I went from loving Twilight and telling everyone how great it was into making fun of it.  And now to try and make it through a fanfic... *sigh* Let's see if I can actually read chapter 2, I've started it twice...

Yep, I agree.  I can handle the first half of Breaking Dawn, until Bella becomes a vampire, and it's all downhill from there.  My biggest problem with the books is that Stephenie Meyer does not know how to write action, suspense, or good villains.  I've never been able to successfully reread any of them because I always lose interest right before the "climactic" parts toward the end - the baseball scene in Twilight where the e-vamps show up, the whole Italy part in New Moon, etc.  I always felt like James and Victoria were totally random, and the Volturi were a huge build-up to NOTHING.  She would have been better off sticking to the forbidden romance/love triangle stuff than trying to throw in random vampire wars (in which one side surrenders before any fighting actually takes place) at the end.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 08:10:13 PM by RokofAges75 »
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

Pengi

• Minion of Mayhem
  • spread the llamalove
    • Tweet Me
« Reply #113 on: June 13, 2012, 10:04:21 PM »

Chapter 8 must be where they do it for the first time. I'm on chapter 6 I think. I highly doubt I will make it to the end to be honest.

Even them finally doing it is really lame.
Christian is WAY overstated and pathetic and moody. I mean even before I knew it was Twilight fan fic I was like "good God this guy's like a Edward Cullen on PMS....take a freaking Midol dude" LOL

And the girl. OY WITH THE POODLES ALREADY!
:penguin: PENGi :penguin:

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #114 on: June 13, 2012, 10:14:41 PM »

On my way down to Philly for the workshop I was teaching, the teachers in the van were talking about how much they wanted to read it. By the time we got to the place I had convinced them all it wasn't worth it lol

Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #115 on: June 13, 2012, 10:15:17 PM »

He's really unattractive honestly. He's just super moody like you said and the author tries way too hard to make him seem deep and intellectual, and so he just comes off as a bunch of hipster douchey character traits without a personality. Like that scene when they were sitting there having tea? Ugh.

Oh, also she can't write the way North Americans speak. There was one point (maybe it was that same coffee shop scene.) where I was imagining the characters speaking with accents cause they were using European lingo. Then I remembered they were in the states and I was like "well this is awkward sounding."

Like I said I sort of wish I could get into this book so I could gush about it with everyone who seems to love it so much but making fun of it is fun too! lol
~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #116 on: June 13, 2012, 10:34:45 PM »

^ That's where an editor would have come in handy.  You can't blame her for not getting the dialogue just right, being British and writing about American characters, but someone should have helped her fix that before it was published.  Another reason not to self-publish!
~Julie

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #117 on: June 13, 2012, 10:37:50 PM »

I didn't realize she had no one look it over! Wow, everything makes so much more sense now lol. Either way, it still pulled me out of the story a bit. Not that I was overly immersed in it to begin with :P
~Saka ♥

- Rainbow Rowell

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #118 on: June 13, 2012, 10:46:21 PM »

From what I heard, she originally went the ebook route, like we've talked about in one of these threads lately, so I don't know if there was any outside editing involved.  If there was, sounds like they didn't do a very good job LOL.
~Julie

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #119 on: June 13, 2012, 11:13:58 PM »

^ That's where an editor would have come in handy.  You can't blame her for not getting the dialogue just right, being British and writing about American characters, but someone should have helped her fix that before it was published.  Another reason not to self-publish!

Or just write the story in an area you are familiar with.  It obviously isn't bothering too many people.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 11:16:37 PM by Purpura Lipstick »
- Purpura -
   -Lore-
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 14