Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Author Topic: Ever heard of story auction  (Read 2320 times)

kevmylove

• Minion of Mayhem
Ever heard of story auction
« on: May 18, 2012, 01:04:34 PM »

So my friend is supernatural/Vampire Diaries fan and she has this writing group going on. I was talking to her yesterday and she was telling me that they have something like a writing auction. Has anyone ever heard about that?

She kinda explained that sometimes they have a story idea or a story already started that they know they aren't going to finish or even start so they get together and either swap ideas or give away their already started stories for someone else to write.

What do you guys think about that? Have you ever thought about giving your ideas or unfinished stories to someone else to write?

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
Re: Ever heard of story auction
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2012, 01:53:51 PM »

I've heard of that before. I have wanted to pick up where other people have left off more than you know lol I've also had people email me their ideas telling me they had no plans to write them so, would I mind doing it.

Not sure how I feel about it though. I think I would have a hard time giving up one of my unfinished stories (if I had one) and letting someone else take over. I'm too much of a control freak for that. Even if I had no plans on ever finishing it, if it went in a way a wasn't happy with, I'd be forever annoyed about it.
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2012, 03:06:46 PM »

I've not heard of that before, it does sound interesting but I'm not sure I could hand over one of my stories unless I had no intention of ever finishing it. 

But if I was starting a story just to swap it with someone else, then I'm sure I'd be fine with it.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2012, 03:21:57 PM »

That might actually be a fun idea for a challenge. Start a story then pass it off to somebody else lol
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2012, 03:24:01 PM »

I was just thinking the same thing :)

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2012, 03:30:50 PM »

Great minds... lol

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2012, 07:58:26 PM »

I like the idea of doing it as a challenge!

As far as doing it for real, it's an interesting concept, but I can't really see myself participating in something like that.  I've written a couple of stories based on ideas other people gave me, and with both of them, it was like pulling teeth to get me to finish them (I did, but only because I was more committed back then, and I wrote shorter stories anyway LOL).  I just don't have as much passion when the storyline isn't my own (or at least co-created, as with collaborations).

As for letting someone else take over one of my stories... I would have to really not care AT ALL about the story or original concept anymore, and even then, I would have to really trust the person I was handing it over to.  It'd be kind of like giving my baby up for adoption... LOL
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

carterkid

• Major Disruption
  • It's a backstreet world....we just live in it
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2012, 09:23:47 PM »

Yeah, I love this as a  challenge idea mare.You should use it   :)

Alexsgirl_ritz

• Major Disruption
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2012, 04:07:07 AM »

If it just an idea, a summary a story I know I'll never find time to write, then I guess it's fine for me to give it away. But a story already started... I'd have a hard time giving it up for someone else to finish.

But that would be fun to make it a challenge.... :)
A world without Alex is a wasted space.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2012, 06:09:57 AM »

Yeah, I think for the challenge, I'd only ask authors to write Thr first two or three paragraphs to set up the story then someone else can take it over. Something like that.

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2012, 11:23:05 PM »

Darkness of Vampires was someone else's story they abandoned and asked if I wanted to finish/rewrite.   

That would be a fun challenge. 

I had a story on my site that we actually did a round robin type story where I would write a part and then leave it off for one of the other girls to pick up on.  There was no real plot to go with, we had a huge list of characters and we just kind of went with the flow.  It was a blast but didn't get finished that's for sure.
- Purpura -
   -Lore-