Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 26

Author Topic: Fanfic/writing/fandom etc... Question(s) of the day  (Read 59294 times)

kevmylove

• Minion of Mayhem
Re: Fanfic/writing/fandom etc... Question(s) of the day
« Reply #180 on: June 10, 2012, 04:47:03 PM »

:'( I just answered about five questions and since my dumbass wanted to make my font orange I deleted it all....I'll try again later.  ???

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #181 on: June 10, 2012, 04:49:44 PM »

Unwinding Truth came from the lyrics of a Muse song.  Lore chose that one and it fits the story well :)

kevmylove

• Minion of Mayhem
« Reply #182 on: June 10, 2012, 05:15:00 PM »

Thought I'd throw out a question...

If you could pick a story of your own and a story of another fanfic author to be published which would you choose?
« Last Edit: June 10, 2012, 05:32:52 PM by kevmylove »

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #183 on: June 10, 2012, 05:17:11 PM »

I usually just use song titles or lyrics from a song that inspired the story. I'm like Julie - I can't start writing the story until I have a title. For some reason I just find it very difficult. In that case I'll usually just listen to music and try to find something that fits.
~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #184 on: June 10, 2012, 05:32:59 PM »

I would love to rewrite Broken as an original story that could be published.  I still love the basic storyline and think it would work as an original; it would just need to be totally de-Backstreet-ized and trimmed down, and I know I could do a better job of writing it than I did the first time around.  That said, I've had that goal for about 5 years now and still haven't made much progress on it LOL.  I'm finding that it's a lot harder than it sounds to completely reimagine and rewrite a story.

Hannah had mentioned wanting to write Something Beautiful as an original, and I think that one would turn out really well.  A similar story that would make a really good novel is The Market by Susan.  Interestingly enough, in thinking of all my favorite fanfics, there aren't that many that I could see being translated well into original fiction because so many of the ones I read are very BSB-centered.  I don't think they'd have the same magic without "the Backstreet Boys."  Like I said in another thread, I think AUs work best, but I don't read many AUs.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #185 on: June 10, 2012, 05:35:31 PM »

Most of the time, titles pop into my head first and then I write the story with the exception of my last one. I seldom use song lyrics for anything including titles with the exception of Why I'd do it All Again, which I got from Memories. But technically i'm not even 100% sure they say those actual words lmao
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #186 on: June 10, 2012, 05:37:06 PM »

^ I think they do, but I always sing "I would do it all again... just want you to know!" when I see that title LOL.  I haven't listened to Memories in forever!

Edit:  Listening to it now to rectify that situation!
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #187 on: June 10, 2012, 05:40:29 PM »

For me, I would love to get Shadow Woods published. It's ready to go but since being rejected by Random House, I haven't done much with it.

I could see a few fanfics making it as a real story. Maria's Yesterday's Blue Skies comes to mind as well as Broken. I agree about the AU thing. I think it would be much easier to see an AU done as an original fiction and i'm also not a huge reader of AUs so not totally sure. I'm sure there are a lot of great ones out there. I think Steph's idea for Rewind would make a great OF as well.

Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #188 on: June 10, 2012, 05:41:16 PM »

^ I think they do, but I always sing "I would do it all again... just want you to know!" when I see that title LOL.  I haven't listened to Memories in forever!

Edit:  Listening to it now to rectify that situation!
lmao good you can let me know if they say it. I know there's a pregnant pause between the words Why and everything else.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #189 on: June 10, 2012, 05:43:49 PM »

Yeah, they sing, "But I... I'd do it all again."  I don't think there's a why, but that's okay.  They're explaining why they'd do it all again LOL.
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #190 on: June 10, 2012, 05:45:02 PM »

:'( I just answered about five questions and since my dumbass wanted to make my font orange I deleted it all....I'll try again later.  ???

Oh, I hate when that happens! LOL

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #191 on: June 10, 2012, 05:46:05 PM »

Yeah, they sing, "But I... I'd do it all again."  I don't think there's a why, but that's okay.  They're explaining why they'd do it all again LOL.

LOL But I'd do it All Again doesn't quite have the same ring.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #192 on: June 10, 2012, 05:46:29 PM »

For me, I would love to get Shadow Woods published. It's ready to go but since being rejected by Random House, I haven't done much with it.

I could see a few fanfics making it as a real story. Maria's Yesterday's Blue Skies comes to mind as well as Broken. I agree about the AU thing. I think it would be much easier to see an AU done as an original fiction and i'm also not a huge reader of AUs so not totally sure. I'm sure there are a lot of great ones out there. I think Steph's idea for Rewind would make a great OF as well.

You should try sending Shadow Woods to some other publishers!  It's the kind of book the YA crowd would really love.

Thanks for the Broken mention!  I know just how I would de-Backstreet-ize it, but I keep second guessing myself and changing my mind on basic decisions like point of view and setting, and so I just keep starting it over and never really getting anywhere with it.  I guess if I do finish a draft of it one day, I'll feel like a real writer, because I don't revise nearly as much on my fanfics as I have for that project LOL.
~Julie

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #193 on: June 10, 2012, 05:46:44 PM »

LOL But I'd do it All Again doesn't quite have the same ring.

Nope, it doesn't!
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #194 on: June 10, 2012, 05:51:00 PM »

^ It's not as fun when you do original fiction. It's taking me ten years to work on this story i'm writing lol Making it about the boys is fun, taking them out is sad :(  poor boys of course unless you're Howie in which case he's like "Ha! Suck on that guys! Now you know how it feels!!"

Yeah, i'm probably going to send out to some other places, it's hard when you don't have a literary agent. I could just go to my old publisher and probably get it done but they suck ass so i'm avoiding them this time around and trying for a bigger publishing company.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 26