Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 26

Author Topic: Fanfic/writing/fandom etc... Question(s) of the day  (Read 59336 times)

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
Re: Fanfic/writing/fandom etc... Question(s) of the day
« Reply #195 on: June 10, 2012, 06:04:43 PM »

Julie, I definitely think a rewrite of Broken would be great publishing material! I loved that story so much.

Mare, I haven't actually read Shadow Woods but your writing as a whole is wonderful so I really think you should keep trying to get that one published.

I don't think any of my stories would work if I changed them to OF and tried to get them published. My romance ones are very centered around the fact that Nick's a Backstreet Boy, to the point where it's completely integral to the plot. It couldn't be taken out, or he'd at least have to be in a band. But it'd be easy to figure out at that point so..not really worth it.

Running Up That Hill would not work at all as OF LOL. I can't even imagine changing that around. Everyone would know that it's a story about the Backstreet Boys - it's not exactly a secret that their tour got postponed! Haha.

Actually, I did have an AU up on the site a long time ago about the guys as high school students and I did rewrite the bulk of it during NaNoWriMo one year with the intent of getting it published. Then I hit 50,000 words, closed the document and never opened it again. So it's sitting at 2/3 finished. One day! Maybe NaNo this year I'll finish it.
~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #196 on: June 11, 2012, 05:54:41 AM »

Good luck with it Mare, I've not read it yet, is it still on here?

Thanks for the Rewind mention too :)

The story of mine I'd pick if I had to would be a cross between Maybe Tomorrow and a Take That short story called Resistance.  Because they are both AU and set in World War 2, I could blend them together well and make them OF.

As for someone else's story...hmm... tough one!  There are so many I love, Broken, Sinister Devotion, Curtain Call, It Stays With You, Song For The Undead, Ground Zero, Remember Me This Way, Chronos Project, Why I'd Do It All Again, Ray of Hope...

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #197 on: June 11, 2012, 06:02:13 AM »

It is still on the site, Steph and thanks for the mentions.
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #198 on: June 11, 2012, 06:33:39 AM »

I'll have to read that one then :)

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #199 on: June 11, 2012, 10:21:39 AM »

Titles are NOT my friends.  Sometimes I come up with a title I think is great and I hold on to it until I think I have a storyline that the title will work with.  Other times my muse wants to write a plot but I have NO title so I look everywhere for something, I talk people's ears off about it, I keep writing it hoping something will come to me.  I've used song titles, lyrics in song, random images that come to mind, Greek gods (yeah that's my new one Chronos Project, Apollo's Curse, Aphrodite's Laughter...)

I solve the -I need a title in order to write it- by calling it  "pet name".  Rewriting Wulf's Bane I call the OF Wulf's Bane but I am pretty sure I will not be using it for the title. Another story I was working on with a friend we called by the name of one of the cities in the stoy since we never had a title.

As for stories to publish...

I'd LOVE to get Wulf's Bane converted to OF and published but I am currently working on editing Chronos Project to self publish. 

I'd love to see Maybe Tomorrow or perhaps Rewind as an OF.  Sinister Devotion I'd buy if it were published... I can't remember the title of Julilly's I read last year, the one with the guys kidnapping the girl.... that one would be good as an OF. 
- Purpura -
   -Lore-

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #200 on: June 11, 2012, 05:31:11 PM »

Tonight's question:

What do you find most difficult when writing? Description, plot, dialogue etc...
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #201 on: June 11, 2012, 07:35:14 PM »

Thanks for the mentions, Steph and Steph!

As far as what I find most difficult... I used to struggle the most with description and character development, but I've gotten a lot better at those.  For someone who doesn't talk a lot in real life, dialogue has always come easily to me - I guess when I'm not talking, I'm listening, so that helps!

I think what I struggle most with nowadays is just staying focused and inspired enough to write and write well.  Between collaborations and my own stuff, I've accumulated too many projects, and it's hard to stay inspired on all of them and find the balance needed to write them all.  I know what it's like to be so inspired that the story almost writes itself, and so when I'm stuck with a story that just doesn't go that way for me, I get frustrated.  If the writing's not flowing as well as I want it to, I tend to give up and try to work on something else, and so I end up jumping around from story to story and not finishing anything.  I didn't used to be one of THOSE writers, so it's annoying that now I am!  It just takes me forever to finish a story anymore, and it's hard to stay committed to one project for years at a time before allowing myself to move on to the next one.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #202 on: June 11, 2012, 07:44:40 PM »

I agree with that, Julie. I love the feeling of being so inspired that I churn out chapters and I get really frustrated when it doesn't happen that I move on to something else. Now I have tons of unfinished projects all of them with multiple chapters (that aren't necessarily the first ones in the story either...ugh)

I have found that dialogue is something that's always come easily to me. Even in my really old stuff, it's not the dialogue that makes me cringe. I feel like what's hardest for me is pacing! I suck at pacing! I've written stories where it's been nothing but a whole bunch of drama, without any build up in between and as a result it came out very rushed. Now, I'm writing not one, but two stories that take place day-by-day and it's sort of a nightmare because I feel like when I write something else my pacing will be way off. After these are done I'm never writing a story day-by-day ever again lol.
~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #203 on: June 11, 2012, 08:11:49 PM »

Pacing is definitely hard!  You want to build up to the drama so that the character development is there and it doesn't seem rushed, but you also don't want to take forever to do that.  It's hard to find the right balance with some storylines.
~Julie

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #204 on: June 11, 2012, 09:56:28 PM »

Todays question:

How do you come up with your story titles? Does the title come first or later on as you're writing it?

The title has to come first. I'm really anal about that LOL. It's just, if you don't know your title, I feel like you really just don't know your story. It's like when you sometimes see stuff posted here all "Untitled (for now)". It's just ugh lol. Sometimes, a title will just hit me, like inspired. Unfortunately, that's not often. So a lot of the times I'll look at songs (cause I usually have playlists/soundtracks for anything I write), and either use titles or a line from the lyrics. Like "Walked Out Of My Dreams" comes from "Unmistakable", And "Divine Intervention" was inspired by the BSB song of that title, so I just went with giving it the same name LOL. RMTW actually didn't come from that song (Julie I think asked me that when I came up with it), it was just that's exactly what Nick wanted, and one of those rare moments where a title just came as inspired lmao.

So...yeah lol.
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #205 on: June 11, 2012, 10:00:44 PM »

Thought I'd throw out a question...

If you could pick a story of your own and a story of another fanfic author to be published which would you choose?

I really wouldn't mind seeing Undead being published. I'm very proud of what Julie and I created. That, and since it's already so AU, I don't think it would be hard. We'd just have to pull all the song lyrics out really, so we wouldn't have to pay for the rights to use them lmao. That, and name changes of course. I think it could happen. I know we've actually talked about it at times, once we actually finish it.

A story not my own, actually I'd love to see Julie publish Curtain Call. A lot would need to be changed around, since it's very much a BSB story, but I feel she did a better job with it than Broken, and as much as I liked Broken, I think Curtain Call tugged at the emotions a lot more. It just feels more real. Another I'd wanna see published is Shadow Woods, partly cause I know Mare did a great job with the BSB version, and I saw parts of the OF version and it's just as great. :)

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #206 on: June 11, 2012, 10:02:57 PM »

Tonight's question:

What do you find most difficult when writing? Description, plot, dialogue etc...

Pacing myself is hard. It's hard to keep that balance where you don't rush the story. Especially when you're SO excited to get to certain parts. Another hard part is watching tenses. It used to be SUCH a problem with my writing. I could describe, I could delve into character development (I love that actually lol), but tenses killed me. Fortunately, I've really gotten a lot better about it.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #207 on: June 11, 2012, 10:39:07 PM »

I really wouldn't mind seeing Undead being published. I'm very proud of what Julie and I created. That, and since it's already so AU, I don't think it would be hard. We'd just have to pull all the song lyrics out really, so we wouldn't have to pay for the rights to use them lmao. That, and name changes of course. I think it could happen. I know we've actually talked about it at times, once we actually finish it.

A story not my own, actually I'd love to see Julie publish Curtain Call. A lot would need to be changed around, since it's very much a BSB story, but I feel she did a better job with it than Broken, and as much as I liked Broken, I think Curtain Call tugged at the emotions a lot more. It just feels more real. Another I'd wanna see published is Shadow Woods, partly cause I know Mare did a great job with the BSB version, and I saw parts of the OF version and it's just as great. :)

Thanks, Rose!  See, I can't see Curtain Call as an original fiction at all.  It works well as a fanfic, but it's too BSB-based, and I don't see a way to rewrite it that would preserve that dynamic.  But thanks for the compliments on it!

It would be awesome to try to publish Undead!  We'd definitely have to edit, but not completely rewrite, which is appealing LOL.
~Julie

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #208 on: June 11, 2012, 10:53:17 PM »

Thanks, Rose!  See, I can't see Curtain Call as an original fiction at all.  It works well as a fanfic, but it's too BSB-based, and I don't see a way to rewrite it that would preserve that dynamic.  But thanks for the compliments on it!

It would be awesome to try to publish Undead!  We'd definitely have to edit, but not completely rewrite, which is appealing LOL.

You'd basically have to turn BSB into a fictional band LOL. It'd be difficult, but I could see it. And yeah, see Undead wouldn't be AS hard LOL.

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #209 on: June 11, 2012, 10:53:51 PM »

Here's a question, with the whole 50 Shades thing...

How do you feel about the whole Self Publishing trend?

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 26