Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 26

Author Topic: Fanfic/writing/fandom etc... Question(s) of the day  (Read 59315 times)

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
Re: Fanfic/writing/fandom etc... Question(s) of the day
« Reply #225 on: June 12, 2012, 02:04:38 PM »

It's definitely about talent. I just feel that self-publishing is just the easy out. And I know that's why some people do it, so that they don't have to go through all the difficulty of finding a publisher. It's harder, but more rewarding I'd think.
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #226 on: June 12, 2012, 02:28:10 PM »

You know, if you are published by a real place nothing comes out of pocket. The editing, cover, etc... Is done at the publishers expense. If they ask you for money you're being taken for a ride. I didn't have to pay a cent for Mel's. Just the initial cost to mail them my manuscript. It's self publishing that costs an arm and a leg because everything comes out of pocket. The only advantage for that is at the end, you get to keep almost all the money your book makes. But you have to pay to get those books printed in the first place so... Slippery slope there.

I'm Talking about print books of course, and not e-books.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2012, 02:34:40 PM by mare »
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #227 on: June 12, 2012, 05:47:21 PM »

Tonight's question:

What is your biggest fanfic pet peeve?
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #228 on: June 12, 2012, 05:49:17 PM »

Stories that aren't edited properly, as if the writer just didn't seem to care and slapped it all together before posting it. I also don't like summaries that give half the plot away. Keep it simple :)

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #229 on: June 12, 2012, 06:45:00 PM »

I think more than anything I hate walls of text. It's not hard to put spaces in between your paragraphs.
~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #230 on: June 12, 2012, 06:50:49 PM »

I pretty much agree with all of you on the self-publishing topic.  I see why people do it, but I do think it cheapens the process - the auto-tune analogy is a perfect one.  For me personally, I think I'd try to get published the real way (the old-fashioned way) first, and then, like Erika said, if I didn't have any luck there, I could see myself self-publishing.  If I had put all that time and effort into writing and editing an original novel, I would want to see it turned into a book one way or another, and self-publishing is a good "other" option.  But going through a legitimate publisher is a much bigger accomplishment .  For me, the whole publishing thing is all about the accomplishment .  I can't think of any reason why I'd want to publish a book, other than just to see it as a book and know that I did that.  To be honest, I'm not even sure I would tell people I know that I published a book if it ever happened LOL, as private as I am about my writing in real life.  I guess it would depend on the book.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #231 on: June 12, 2012, 06:53:32 PM »

Gotta agree with Tracy and Steph here - conventions!  Spelling, grammar, punctuation, paragraphing - it's all about proofreading and presentation, and some "writers" either just don't get it or don't care enough to do it.  If you're not going to put the time into making sure your story is readable, why on earth would I waste my time trying to read it?
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #232 on: June 12, 2012, 07:11:13 PM »

I pretty much agree with all of you on the self-publishing topic.  I see why people do it, but I do think it cheapens the process - the auto-tune analogy is a perfect one.  For me personally, I think I'd try to get published the real way (the old-fashioned way) first, and then, like Erika said, if I didn't have any luck there, I could see myself self-publishing.  If I had put all that time and effort into writing and editing an original novel, I would want to see it turned into a book one way or another, and self-publishing is a good "other" option.  But going through a legitimate publisher is a much bigger accomplishment .  For me, the whole publishing thing is all about the accomplishment .  I can't think of any reason why I'd want to publish a book, other than just to see it as a book and know that I did that.  To be honest, I'm not even sure I would tell people I know that I published a book if it ever happened LOL, as private as I am about my writing in real life.  I guess it would depend on the book.

It's funny you said that because I had An awfully hard  time telling people about my book. It was different telling all of you because that's how you knew me to begin with, but everyone else it took them by surprise lol to know fellow teachers and even a few principals were reading my book was the most uncomfortable feeling ever as well as when people ask me to sign my book. Like a parent of a student or something lol it's always the oddest thing.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #233 on: June 12, 2012, 07:12:45 PM »

I can totally understand that!  I really think I would publish under a pen name and not tell anyone but my family LOL.
~Julie

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #234 on: June 12, 2012, 07:17:31 PM »

I don't like long paragraphs (walls of text) either. When I write I try to break it up a bit.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #235 on: June 12, 2012, 07:25:28 PM »

My old eyes can't even handle that anymore.  I used to be able to overlook conventions, to some extent, if the storyline was good enough, but nowadays, if you don't know how to change paragraphs between speakers, there is no chance of me making it through your story no matter what it's about!
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #236 on: June 12, 2012, 07:42:18 PM »

My peeves are the same as all of yours with the addition of banners lol

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #237 on: June 13, 2012, 05:15:53 AM »

My biggest peeve has to be poor presentation and spelling.  I can't stand huge walls of text and it really puts me off reading.  I can forgive the occasional typo because they are easily done, but when it looks like something a child has written, that's when I click out of it LOL.

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #238 on: June 13, 2012, 11:40:13 AM »

My biggest pet peeve is walls of text. I will click out immediately if I see that. It drives me crazy, that and lack of punctuation and spelling. Then, if the person does manage those basics, it's if they can't develop a character. One dimensional characters drive me crazy LOL.
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #239 on: June 13, 2012, 06:07:43 PM »

Tonight's question:

What is the first fanfic you ever read?
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 26