Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 26

Author Topic: Fanfic/writing/fandom etc... Question(s) of the day  (Read 59308 times)

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
Re: Fanfic/writing/fandom etc... Question(s) of the day
« Reply #240 on: June 13, 2012, 07:16:58 PM »

Whoa that is difficult! I think the first story I read was this one that was this series about this girl who was best friends with Nick, got raped by her evil boyfriend and drama ensued. For three stories. The only clear thing I remember about them is her and Nick sitting in a hot tub discussing their relationship and then Nick passes out lol. Either way I was in love with those stories and I think I actually have them printed out in a binder at my parent's house. I hope my mom never finds them lmao. The titles of them were 'Best Friends', 'Healing' and 'Not Everything Turns Out Perfect'.

I also read this other story about this girl who moved to Florida and became friends with Nick and drama ensued. I think that she had secret cancer or something. I actually can't remember much about that. A lot of these stories were just Nick + random girl = drama. I think it was called 'Heaven In Your Eyes.'

I can't believe I remembered the titles of those but nothing that actually happened in them.

~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #241 on: June 13, 2012, 07:55:25 PM »

I remember my first fanfic!  It was a story called "Blind Love," and I stumbled onto it accidentally while searching for BSB sites on Webcrawler back in the summer of '99 LOL.  When I clicked on it and realized I was reading a story someone had written about the Backstreet Boys - specifically, Brian, my favorite - I was like, "OMG, what is this thing called 'fan fiction'?!  This is the greatest thing ever!!!"

Anyway, the story was about Brian falling in love (instantly) with a girl named Kristy who was blind.  Of course, she has a successful operation to get her sight back halfway through the story, and then Brian dies in a car accident, and the next day, Kristy finds out she's pregnant with his twins.  It was written by a 13-year-old, so you can imagine the quality there LOL, but I was 14 and had nothing to compare it to, so I thought it was amazing.  Like Steph, I printed the entire thing out and put it in a binder to share with my friends at sleepovers, and we all sat around and read it together and cried when Brian died LOL.  I still have it!

There was also a sequel in which Kristy has her twins and hooks up with Nick, and then Brian comes back to life - yes, literally comes back to life.  Oh, teenybopper stories!  :P
« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 07:58:04 PM by RokofAges75 »
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #242 on: June 13, 2012, 08:31:56 PM »

Lmao! Just at both of those!
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #243 on: June 13, 2012, 08:52:30 PM »

The very first fanfic I stumbled upon was a visual and I had no idea what it was and didn't actually read it. Thank goodness for that because I probably would have never gotten into writing if that's what I had to base fanfic on.

I remember I had just gotten into BSB, didn't really know much about them but wanted to so I was surfing the net and stumbled on Jenna's website where the name Swollen Issues stuck out like a sore thumb. How can you not click on a story with that title? Lol I was also curious to know what the heck that had to do with the Backstreet Boys. After I figured out it was a story I then decided to read it as well as one she was hosting at the time which turned out to be Ground Zero. I was really lucky to have those be my first fanfics.

Ground Zero wasn't completed on her site and it took forever before I finally found the completed version because Chaos replied to a feedback I sent him. It took him forever to do that lol
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #244 on: June 13, 2012, 09:03:58 PM »

I would have to say Mizpah probably. I can't really remember the exact Fanfic I read first but the first one I remember really getting into was Mizpah by Mare. Either that or the Swollen Issues series. I remember both stories had me so hooked I couldn't stop reading them. 

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #245 on: June 13, 2012, 09:12:59 PM »

Aww thanks, Tracy! It's weird hearing I am someone's first story lol

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
    • twitter
« Reply #246 on: June 13, 2012, 09:26:11 PM »

You're welcome, Mare! I loved Swollen Issues and she had another story called Perfection as well, where Nick had a eating disorder I believe? It was so good. I love reading that kind of angst/drama type story.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #247 on: June 13, 2012, 09:37:03 PM »

I have to say, out of all my favorite fanfic writers, Jenna writes the most addicting stories!  I didn't read Swollen Issues until she and Swenglish were writing the second one, but I got hooked and was so addicted to it, I would check that site multiple times a day to see if perhaps they had updated.  ADDICTED.  Jenna's Nick and Lizz series was equally addicting back in the day.   Her angsty stuff was right up my alley!
~Julie

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #248 on: June 13, 2012, 09:42:03 PM »

The very first fanfic I stumbled upon was a visual and I had no idea what it was and didn't actually read it. Thank goodness for that because I probably would have never gotten into writing if that's what I had to base fanfic on.

Haha, I remember my first visual too!  I didn't discover those until I'd been reading fanfic for a few months at least, but I found a whole site of them and didn't realize what the term "visual" meant until I read one.  I did most of my fanfic reading in my mom's classroom at her school, while she worked over the summer, because the internet connection was faster and wouldn't tie up the phone line at home (back in the days of dial-up!), so I was sitting on a school computer in the same room as my mother when this happened.  I can only imagine how wide my 14-year-old eyes got and how red my face must have been!  But I read like three of them on that site before I clicked off it. :P  I guess that was before the days of internet filters to block inappropriate websites - if the school's network had one, it didn't work! LOL
~Julie

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #249 on: June 13, 2012, 09:44:42 PM »

I have a question for you all - what is the most influential fanfic you've read, in terms of influencing or inspiring your own writing?
~Julie

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
    • twitter
« Reply #250 on: June 13, 2012, 09:46:49 PM »

Oh yes I remember reading part of the Nick and Lizz series too. I also remember reading this story about Nick that started when bsb first formed...I can't remember the name of it but it was not on AC. I know there was a scene where Nick and Brian played with lightsabers. I wish I knew what it was called.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #251 on: June 13, 2012, 10:01:21 PM »

Oh yes I remember reading part of the Nick and Lizz series too. I also remember reading this story about Nick that started when bsb first formed...I can't remember the name of it but it was not on AC. I know there was a scene where Nick and Brian played with lightsabers. I wish I knew what it was called.

I don't know about the light sabers, but was it Come Together?  http://www.dreamers-sanctuary.com/dwlyn/cometogether.html
~Julie

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #252 on: June 13, 2012, 10:24:52 PM »

Haha, I remember my first visual too!  I didn't discover those until I'd been reading fanfic for a few months at least, but I found a whole site of them and didn't realize what the term "visual" meant until I read one.  I did most of my fanfic reading in my mom's classroom at her school, while she worked over the summer, because the internet connection was faster and wouldn't tie up the phone line at home (back in the days of dial-up!), so I was sitting on a school computer in the same room as my mother when this happened.  I can only imagine how wide my 14-year-old eyes got and how red my face must have been!  But I read like three of them on that site before I clicked off it. :P  I guess that was before the days of internet filters to block inappropriate websites - if the school's network had one, it didn't work! LOL

Man, visuals! That must have been so awkward, Julie, reading those in your mom's classroom! I had read a few fics that had sex scenes in them, but when my friend and I discovered that there were stories that were just the sex part we read through so many of them. And then (this is so awkward) since she liked AJ, and I liked Nick we decided that we would write each other a visual and do a swap. I can't believe we did that! We even wrote them in class on looseleaf and passed them to each other in the hall to read in our next classes.

~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #253 on: June 13, 2012, 10:35:18 PM »

I have a question for you all - what is the most influential fanfic you've read, in terms of influencing or inspiring your own writing?

Hmmm, good question! That 'I Need You Tonight' story I read when I was 15 (and was absolutely obsessed with) was something that made me really want to try my best and write something awesome. I guess that's the point when I decided I was really going to try and craft a good story instead of just write out my fantasies.

I think as far as more recently though, it was definitely Why I'd Do It All Again by Mare. Which I think I've mentioned here before. It made me want to branch out and write something that was centered around the guys and their relationships with each other, rather than Nick and his girl drama.
~Saka ♥

- Rainbow Rowell

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #254 on: June 13, 2012, 10:38:42 PM »

Man, visuals! That must have been so awkward, Julie, reading those in your mom's classroom! I had read a few fics that had sex scenes in them, but when my friend and I discovered that there were stories that were just the sex part we read through so many of them. And then (this is so awkward) since she liked AJ, and I liked Nick we decided that we would write each other a visual and do a swap. I can't believe we did that! We even wrote them in class on looseleaf and passed them to each other in the hall to read in our next classes.

LOL That is awkward, but I remember lots of authors who would write visuals for their friends or even offer up their services to write visuals for readers who requested them.

Luckily, my mom was on the other side of the room and was completely oblivious to what I was reading LOL.
~Julie

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 26