Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 26

Author Topic: Fanfic/writing/fandom etc... Question(s) of the day  (Read 59332 times)

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
Re: Fanfic/writing/fandom etc... Question(s) of the day
« Reply #285 on: June 15, 2012, 04:48:49 PM »

Tonight's question:

Do you consider yourself a picky reader?
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #286 on: June 15, 2012, 05:21:47 PM »

I am a pretty picky reader.  I always have been with real books, but I didn't used to be with fanfic.  I used to read just about anything, especially if it was about Brian, but I also think there was more to choose from back in the day - more websites to explore, more of the kind of stories I really enjoyed, the dramatic tearjerker and suspenseful stuff.  But my standards for things like conventions and presentation were also a lot lower.  I knew and followed the rules for paragraphing, dialogue, etc. in my own writing, but it didn't bother me as much to read stories that didn't.

Nowadays, maybe because I've read so many stories, it takes something special to hook my attention and suck me in.  Besides the storyline appealing to me, the writing has to be good - I won't waste my time on poorly-written stories.  I don't have as much free time (or maybe I just have more distractions), and usually I'd rather spend the time I do have for fanfic trying to write it, rather than read it.  I still read it when I find a story I want to read; it just doesn't happen as often.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #287 on: June 15, 2012, 05:29:33 PM »

I really like to incorporate as many real life events as possible. I don't really like making fake tours or albums etc... It's easier for me to make it more believable if I make it true to life. What else happens around those real events however are usually made up. lol

This is how I am.  I usually write in the present or just slightly in the future (so that whatever I'm writing about seems like something that COULD happen), although I'll write in the past if it works better for the storyline, like with Guilty Roads, and that can be fun too.  Usually, though, I'm such a stickler for reality that I want to make it as believable as possible, and that means sticking to canon.  I like to work real life events into my fictional storyline as much as I can, to add to that sense of realism.

Curtain Call takes place during the This is Us tour, and for every concert date, I would look at videos of soundcheck or reviews of the concert to see what stood out that I could work in - the Michael McDonald version of Shattered, Nick forgetting the lyrics to Panic, the soundcheck Nick missed because Lauren was sick, etc.  It was kind of a fun challenge to see how many real life events I could make work with my storyline, and it was a little scary how well some of them did!

Even with AUs, there are some details of their real lives I always keep, things like Brian's heart condition, AJ's alcoholism, Nick's dysfunctional family.  Those things just seem like such an integral part what has shaped them into the people they are that it doesn't feel like a BSB fanfic without them.
~Julie

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #288 on: June 15, 2012, 05:47:16 PM »

I suppose I'm picky in that I usually stick to reading the same authors.  When I first joined the site, I read and reviewed so many stories until I discovered the writers I liked the most.

If a summary looks interesting, I'll click on the story and give it a go though.

I'll read just about any genre, so I'm not picky that way.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #289 on: June 16, 2012, 02:15:04 PM »

When it comes to being picky, I'm the opposite of you, Julie. I'm pretty much willing to give anything a try in book form as long as it seems like something I might want to read. If the summary sounds semi interesting or someone mentions it's a good read, more than likely i'll check it out.

Fanfic is where i'm really picky almost to the point of being snobbish (at least i'm sure that's how it comes off lol) You would think i'd be less picky with the free thing but i'm a lefty so I guess we are a little weird! :OP

I just know what I want to read when it comes to the fandom so i'm more willing to skip over things that do not seem appealing to me. If enough people recommend it, I might give it a try, but even then....if it's a girl based romance i'm skipping it. LOL I don't really care how well written it is where as if it's a book i'll jump on it.

Weird lol
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #290 on: June 16, 2012, 02:16:22 PM »

Tonight's question:

Do you truly dislike any of the Backstreet Boys or people close to them and if yes, do you find it hinders the way you write or portray them?

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #291 on: June 16, 2012, 04:06:42 PM »

I really, really dislike Nick's mom and rarely, if ever include her in any of my stories. Luckily in the stories I've written there's hardly been a need for her to show up anyway. The only exception was Nick getting married, and so I just wrote Jane out by having Nick not invite her to the wedding and having a mini drama explaining his reasons why lol.

Lately I also really don't like Aaron, but I'll be including him in Running Up That Hill eventually so I'll have to get over that. It'll help that he was much better in 2001 than he is now, I think.

Yeah, mostly Nick's family I generally don't enjoy writing about. They're so messed up, and not even in that good, I can use this for drama kind of way. Just because I find it sad that with them, you don't need to fictionalize their horrible personalities. Then I just end up feeling bad for real life Nick.
~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #292 on: June 16, 2012, 04:34:49 PM »

No, I don't dislike any of the boys.  I don't know much about their families as I don't care about them.  When it comes to writing, I tend to leave their families out of it, or just mention the occasional name here and there.

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #293 on: June 16, 2012, 05:16:08 PM »

Tonight's question:

Do you truly dislike any of the Backstreet Boys or people close to them and if yes, do you find it hinders the way you write or portray them?

I doubt there's many people who don't already know this but I am not a Kevin fan by any means. I don't think it hinders my writing, I occasionally use him, but he's generally an anal retentive greaseball which is just how he is in my head anyway. :)

Oh, and I also will never use the real names of any of their employees. It's one thing to write fanfic about celebs but when you start throwing in people who are just doing their jobs (ie photographers, managers, etc) it seems weird.
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #294 on: June 16, 2012, 05:38:53 PM »

The only people associated with the Boys that I don't like are most of the Carters, especially Bob and Jane.  Of the siblings, I liked Leslie the most, but now I guess I like Angel the most.  I really try to avoid writing about the whole clan as much as possible, though.

Everyone else associated with the Boys, I either like or don't know enough about to form a personal opinion on.  I like/support the rest of their families, wives, current girlfriends, and kids.  They're never major characters in my stories, but I'll include them as needed.  I generally don't really know enough about their employees to form an opinion.  If I include those people in my stories, it's just a mention for realism's sake.
~Julie

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #295 on: June 16, 2012, 05:54:38 PM »

I didn't mean I didn't like them lol Though I guess that was the question... I just felt compelled to add that :P
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #296 on: June 16, 2012, 06:11:20 PM »

I've always made Nick's mom a bitch. I don't care for Jane at all, but I did make his father and Aaron nice in the same story. As for Kevin, I'm not really a fan of him. I usually make him mean or an asshole, but in my AU series he is nice. So it depends on my mood. I flat out don't write about Nick's family usually.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #297 on: June 16, 2012, 06:42:57 PM »

I'm not a fan of the Carter clan so much so that I always tend to do Nick a favor and give him nicer parents and siblings or just don't mention them at all.

Also not a fan of Leighanne so when I have to write her in, I usually do so in passing or portray her as I feel she is in real life lol

usako

« Reply #298 on: June 17, 2012, 03:06:48 AM »

Tonight's question:

I don't dislike any of the boys or people close to them. It depends on the situation that I'm writing about. For one story, I had to make Leighanne as the "bitch and crazy wife" lol  Generally, if I portray a character in a bad light, I try to give them a valid reason to act in a certain way and not just because I don't like them.

Kevin and Howie are the one that I always leave in the background, lol, but I ten to write Kevin as the "overprotective cousin" lol It's so damn fun!

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #299 on: June 18, 2012, 05:42:28 AM »

Yesterday's question since I couldn't get on here long enough to post lol

Honestly, how do you feel about reviews and feedback? Do you give it and how does it affect you when you get it?
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 26