Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 26

Author Topic: Fanfic/writing/fandom etc... Question(s) of the day  (Read 59294 times)

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
Re: Fanfic/writing/fandom etc... Question(s) of the day
« Reply #315 on: June 19, 2012, 03:32:40 PM »

I would only give con crit if someone asked for it too.  I think I've only given it for the reading challenge last year.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #316 on: June 19, 2012, 03:43:48 PM »

Yes, same here. That goes with the signing up for the challenges lol

Tonight's question:

What is your reading preference & why?

All five boys with no female lead
One boy and one girl only with the others in the background if even
Frick and Frack
Kevin and Nick
AJ and Brian
Kevin and Howie
Howie and AJ
Nick and AJ

Etc... You get the idea lol are there any of the pairings above you wouldn't want to read?
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #317 on: June 19, 2012, 04:01:02 PM »

I will read anything but I usually stay away from stories about Howie, Kevin or AJ...but I do love group stories best.

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #318 on: June 19, 2012, 06:35:50 PM »

Usually all five boys with no female lead or Nick centric. I'll read basically anything that's Nick centric! Love him... as I'm sure you all know. I'm pretty open! I used to really only read Nick romance but I've moved away from that. My favourite pairing to read about if it only concerns a couple of the boys is Frick and Frack or Howie and AJ.

I don't know that I would read a Kevin and Howie story or a Kevin and Brian story. I don't know if they clash enough to make a story interesting... I need clashing and angst or at least a wonderful bromance lol.
~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
    • twitter
« Reply #319 on: June 19, 2012, 07:00:47 PM »

I will read anything paired with Nick but I stay away from romance even though I write it.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #320 on: June 19, 2012, 07:04:15 PM »

I much prefer stories with all five guys but Nick centered. If I have to read something without all five, I much prefer Nick & Kevin or pretty much Nick with any of them. I admit I'm not interested in stories which focus on the other four. Yup, picky lol
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #321 on: June 20, 2012, 12:09:04 AM »

I prefer reading stories about Brian, Nick, or the whole group.  I'm not usually drawn to stories about Kevin or Howie.  AJ's kind of my in-between - I like reading him as a secondary character, but usually not the main character.

I don't mind female leads, but they better be interesting and likable if they're going to dominate the story.  In a fanfic, I prefer original characters to be in supporting roles; at least one of the Backstreet Boys should be the star of the story.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
    • twitter
« Reply #322 on: June 20, 2012, 01:08:20 AM »

I actually really love group stories that are Nick centered. Or the Nick/Kevin dynamic :)

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #323 on: June 20, 2012, 04:59:29 AM »

I don't really mind.  I do tend to read Nick/Group/Female Lead stories mostly though.

usako

« Reply #324 on: June 20, 2012, 06:14:52 AM »

Yes, same here. That goes with the signing up for the challenges lol

Tonight's question:

What is your reading preference & why?

All five boys with no female lead
One boy and one girl only with the others in the background if even
Frick and Frack
Kevin and Nick
AJ and Brian
Kevin and Howie
Howie and AJ
Nick and AJ

Etc... You get the idea lol are there any of the pairings above you wouldn't want to read?

I love reading stories centred on the group, I stay away from fiction that are written from the female pov, because most of the times there is no focus on the guys and their dynamics. Of course, I read anything that has Brian as the main character or as the supportive character. Usually, I'm a FrickNFrack lover so I read anything that has Brian and Nick as main character. I stay away from the Nick's one. Sorry but I have read too much and they're mostly all the same. I think that I haven't ever read a Kevin fic lol

As a slash lover, I have read everything. lol And it is the same, just as long as it's a Brian centered and I can read him with anyone (even Justin Timberlake and Eminem lol). But my favorite are FrickNFrack and Brian&Aj.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #325 on: June 20, 2012, 04:48:42 PM »

Here's a question:  Do you tend to write more character-driven or plot-driven stories?

If you're not sure, this article explains the difference and even has a little quiz you can take to find out which style you probably are.  http://www.writersstore.com/character-driven-or-action-driven
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #326 on: June 20, 2012, 05:12:26 PM »

Yay, Julie! That can be our question on the night since I had absolutely nothing lol

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #327 on: June 20, 2012, 05:14:53 PM »

Here's a question:  Do you tend to write more character-driven or plot-driven stories?

If you're not sure, this article explains the difference and even has a little quiz you can take to find out which style you probably are.  http://www.writersstore.com/character-driven-or-action-driven

When I click on this link, it keeps taking me to facebook lol weird.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #328 on: June 20, 2012, 06:41:09 PM »

Yay, Julie! That can be our question on the night since I had absolutely nothing lol

LOL I kinda figured; I kept waiting for you to post something.  This thread is the highlight of my day! :P
~Julie

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #329 on: June 20, 2012, 06:41:46 PM »

When I click on this link, it keeps taking me to facebook lol weird.

That is weird!  It works for me.  I'll just paste the part that applies into here.

Character-Driven or Action-Driven?
By Martha Alderson, M.A.

Most writers have a preference for one style of writing over another. Some writers are more adept at developing complex, interesting, and quirky characters. Others excel at page-turning action. The lucky ones are writers who are good at creating both the Character Emotional Development plotline and the Dramatic Action plotline. Become aware of your strength and learn to address your weakness, and you, too, can become one of the lucky ones.

Broadly speaking, writers who prefer writing action-driven stories focus on logical thinking, rational analysis, and accuracy. Action-driven writers tend to rely more on the left side of their brain. These writers approach writing as a linear function and see the story in its parts. Action-driven writers like structure. They usually pre-plot or create an outline before writing. Action-driven writers have little trouble expressing themselves in words.

On the other hand, writers who write character-driven stories tend to focus on aesthetics and feelings, creativity and imagination. These writers access the right side of their brains and enjoy playing with the beauty of language. They are more intuitive, and like to work things out on the page. Character-driven writers are holistic and subjective. They can synthesize new information, but are somewhat (or more) disorganized and random. They see the story as the whole. Right brain writers may know what they mean, but often have trouble finding the right words.

The Test

Take the test to see whether you are stronger at developing Character Emotional Development plotlines or Dramatic Action plotlines.

Fill in the Character Emotional Development Plot Profile below for your protagonist (the character who is most changed by the dramatic action), any other major viewpoint characters and, if there is one, the character who represents the major antagonist for the protagonist.

1) Protagonist's overall story goal:
2) What stands in his/her way of achieving this goal:
3) What does he/she stand to lose, if not successful:
4) Flaw or greatest fault:
5) Greatest strength:
6) Hates:
7) Loves:
8) Fear:
9) Secret:
10) Dream:

Results

1) Writers who filled out 1-3 with ease prefer writing Dramatic Action.
2) Writers who filled in 4- 10 with ease prefer Character Emotional Development.
3) Writers who filled in everything with ease find both the Dramatic Action and the Character Emotional Development plotlines come easy.

Analysis

Without a firm understanding of points 1-3, you have no front story. The Dramatic Action plotline is what gets the reader turning the pages. Without it there is no excitement on the page.

Without a firm understanding of points 4-10, you are more likely to line up the action pieces of your story, arrange them in a logical order and then draw conclusions. Yet, no matter how exciting the action, this presentation lacks the human element. Such an omission increases your chances of losing your audience's interest; readers read 70% for character.
~Julie

Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 26