Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 26

Author Topic: Fanfic/writing/fandom etc... Question(s) of the day  (Read 59314 times)

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
Re: Fanfic/writing/fandom etc... Question(s) of the day
« Reply #330 on: June 20, 2012, 06:48:43 PM »

What an interesting article. Before reading it, I would've said I am mostly a plot driven writer but besides all the action etc...I fall more into the character driven one according to the article.

I don't write outlines and usually am pretty loose when it comes to the overall make up of the story. My characters are pretty important overall but it is usually the plot I spend more time on. So, I guess in the end, i'm going with both lol Just like i'm ambidexterous, i'm also ambidrivenous. lmao
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #331 on: June 20, 2012, 06:50:06 PM »

LOL I kinda figured; I kept waiting for you to post something.  This thread is the highlight of my day! :P

LOL and that's how you can tell you're on vacation!
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #332 on: June 20, 2012, 06:50:44 PM »

aww thanks for reposting that! Yeah it wouldn't work on my IPod but it does on the crappy computer lmao go figure!

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #333 on: June 20, 2012, 07:31:54 PM »

LOL and that's how you can tell you're on vacation!

LOL Yep!
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #334 on: June 20, 2012, 07:40:27 PM »

I've always been more plot-driven.  It may come with the territory of writing fanfic, seeing as how our main characters are kind of already created for us, but when I think of an idea for a story, I think of the plot first and the characters second.  I try to write dynamic characters who change as a result of the plot, and I think I've gotten better at that over the years, but I still tend to focus on the events more than the characters.  I am an outliner and a stickler for accuracy, so that fits with the plot-driven profile too.

Some of the character-driven qualities fit me too, especially with certain stories.  I think maybe that's the direction my writing is heading in, which is probably a good thing.  It's hard to write a good story without a plot, but as the article points out, readers read 70% for character.  A story is nothing without great characters to bring it to life.  I think the best authors are the ones who find that balance between plot and character.
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #335 on: June 21, 2012, 05:08:00 PM »

Tonight's question is more of a BSB fun random one. All this older interview talk inspired this.

What is your all time favorite BSB interview and why? As an added bonus, if you have a link to it, that would be awesome! :)

Related question: is there an interview or appearance that inspired a scene of one of your stories? Again, if you have a link that would be super.

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #336 on: June 21, 2012, 06:30:54 PM »

When we were all doing the 1000 Ways To Kill Nick Carter story the George Lopez Q and A inspired the one I'd written about Nick swimming naked with sharks. I don't have a favorite interview per se, but I loved the George Lopez one.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #337 on: June 21, 2012, 06:32:51 PM »

That is a fun question!  The first one that came to mind was the Frank Skinner show in the UK that they did while promoting Never Gone in 2005.  There was so much hilarious stuff in that interview, but my favorite part was them reenacting Nick's poop in the sock prank.  Epic.  Here's a link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HS-Ch1HSioA  The best part starts at 4:18.  The VERY best part is Kevin's reaction after he pulls out the bonus "surprise" from the sock at 5:28.  :D

The 2-hour MTV special they did right before Millennium came out has always been a favorite of mine, too.  It was long, and there was a lot of fun stuff on it, like the trivia contest they did with fans.  Here is Part 1 of that: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKuE-V5pshQ

As far as scenes from stories... I started Identical with their appearance on Leno in 2001, the one where they all showed their special talents - Nick burped on command, Brian did his Donald Duck voice, etc.  I can't find a video on YouTube.

I wrote or at least referenced a lot of real appearances in Curtain Call, but my favorite was the soundcheck where they sang "Shattered" Michael McDonald style.  SO funny:  http://youtu.be/9wI8SDPg1FA
« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 06:35:02 PM by RokofAges75 »
~Julie

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #338 on: June 21, 2012, 06:33:15 PM »

When we were all doing the 1000 Ways To Kill Nick Carter story the George Lopez Q and A inspired the one I'd written about Nick swimming naked with sharks. I don't have a favorite interview per se, but I loved the George Lopez one.

That was a good one!!
~Julie

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #339 on: June 21, 2012, 06:38:01 PM »

I just realized I never answered yesterday's question. I tend to write more plot driven stories, I think. Running Up That Hill is definitely the most character driven story I've written, but other than that a lot of my stories have been more focused on the plot and drama. I'm definitely working on creating more well rounded characters and Running Up That Hill has been a good exercise in doing that.

My favourite BSB interview... that's a hard question! There's this one they did on Musique Plus a really long time ago where the interviewer spent the day with them before their concert. The whole thing was very funny, but there was this one bit in particular that I've always remembered, is when they get on the tour bus. It starts at 1:25.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWjc1jen6Fc

LMAO. I love it.

I'm not sure there's an interview that inspired a scene directly (except for when they went on TRL to announce AJ's rehab, I guess) But there was this one they did for Millennium on MuchMusic where the interviewer asked them something, Nick started to answer, Kevin interrupted Nick, Nick gives him this look of death, and Kevin lets Nick continue to talk. LOL. So that moment has always influenced the way I write Kevin and Nick.

I will try to find that one. I know I have it on VHS but I can't ever seem to find it on YouTube.

Also, my answers are super Canadian.
~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #340 on: June 21, 2012, 06:44:27 PM »

That is a fun question!  The first one that came to mind was the Frank Skinner show in the UK that they did while promoting Never Gone in 2005.  There was so much hilarious stuff in that interview, but my favorite part was them reenacting Nick's poop in the sock prank.  Epic.  Here's a link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HS-Ch1HSioA  The best part starts at 4:18.  The VERY best part is Kevin's reaction after he pulls out the bonus "surprise" from the sock at 5:28.  :D

The 2-hour MTV special they did right before Millennium came out has always been a favorite of mine, too.  It was long, and there was a lot of fun stuff on it, like the trivia contest they did with fans.  Here is Part 1 of that: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKuE-V5pshQ

I've never seen that Never Gone interview before! Thanks for linking it! :) I'm going to watch it now.

And DUDE. I love that MTV Millennium special. I remember watching it when I was 13 and wishing I was one of the girls that got to go to the taping, haha. They only aired a condensed half hour version of it here, and it wasn't until last year I learned it was 2 hours long. It was a nice surprise and I watched the whole thing on YouTube in one sitting, lol.
~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #341 on: June 21, 2012, 06:47:13 PM »

No problem!  I was really on top of downloading and watching all the overseas appearances back in 2005... not sure how I had SO much free time in college, but somehow I did!  I'm not good at keeping up with all that stuff anymore LOL.
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #342 on: June 21, 2012, 07:45:45 PM »

I loved that two hour special as well. I loved when Howie got Nick's birthday wrong lol I really used that special as a way to get to 'know' them personality wise before writing them.

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #343 on: June 21, 2012, 08:38:39 PM »

Okay so I have an answer finally. I loved the stuff they did on MTV TRL when Millennium came out and they were asked questions by fans, followed by the game show. It was funny when they couldn't guess what howie's favorite book or Nick's favorite video game were.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #344 on: June 21, 2012, 08:41:02 PM »

Yeah, that was a good one to get to see how they interacted with each other.  I was a fan of them before that, but that whole Millennium era is really when I went from just a casual fan to a SUPERFAN.  That special, along with TRL and Millennium itself, did it for me.  Then there was the Disney Channel concert not long after that, and ABC Family aired the Homecoming concert as a special.  That was such a great time to be a BSB fan!
~Julie

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 26