Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 13

Author Topic: Let the Summer Reading Commence! :O)  (Read 36498 times)

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
Re: Let the Summer Reading Commence! :O)
« Reply #90 on: July 03, 2012, 07:51:14 AM »

Just now finished erika's story "just one kiss". Highly recommend reading it, it was enjoyable and the dialogue was fun. I loved the descriptions and situations Nick and Abby were in, everything fell into place. Great job!!!

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #91 on: July 03, 2012, 09:10:18 AM »

You guys are rocking this challenge this year! Woot!!!
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #92 on: July 04, 2012, 06:58:05 AM »

Story you are reading:  Remember Me This Way

How many chapters are in the story?  39 + Introduction and Epilogue

What chapter are you currently on? 10

Are the main characters easily defined and strong?  I have a clear understanding of Nick’s character and how he is reacting to his predicament

Have you figured out the overall plot of the story? I knew it going in…

So far what has been your favorite scene?  I like the description of the therapist and her strange baubles, lol because I knew who that was based off of.  I do love the scene between Nick and Kevin when he finally breaks down and tells Kevin what is going on with him.

Has the story been edited enough to read comfortably? Yes, it’s Rose so of course it is.

Do you have any questions for the author?  I usually ask them in my reviews and Rose is good about answering them so far 

Is this something you are looking forward to reading the entire way through?  Honestly, no. It has NOTHING to do with the story, the plot is good, the story flows well and the story is being told incredibly well.   I am not looking forward to the tears being fought back as I read….

Is the author responding to your feedback regularly? Yes and I appreciate it.

LOL I'm sorry, everyone tells me I owe them tissues. :P
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #93 on: July 04, 2012, 07:04:42 AM »

Story you are reading:
Chronos Project by Lore

How many chapters are in the story?
Thirty Eight

What chapter are you currently on?
Six, but I paused so I could fill this out since things have been a little hectic for me.

Are the main characters easily defined and strong?
Kevin is, Nick just got introduced so it's too early for me to say. Julie, unfortunately comes off a little bland. I think her interactions a little awkward, stiff, and that she doesn't have enough depth. But it's still early. I just find myself caring more about Kevin than her, which is rare since unless it's a bromance, I don't usually read Kevin fics lol.

Have you figured out the overall plot of the story?
Not 100% yet, but you're not supposed to yet. She gives you bits of info at a time.

So far what has been your favorite scene?
I really loved the first scene of the story actually. Lore just throws you into Julie's world without explaining remotely what's going on. You just experience it with her. It's a great draw into the rest of the story.

Has the story been edited enough to read comfortably?
Of course, I've seen a slight formatting issue in Ch. 5 where she should've had space for dialogue I think it was, but it was minor, easy to do when posting.

Do you have any questions for the author?
Not yet, I'm enjoying watching the way it unfolds.

Is this something you are looking forward to reading the entire way through?
Yep :)

Is the author responding to your feedback regularly?
Yes, Lore's been great about that.

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #94 on: July 04, 2012, 04:31:38 PM »

Just wanted to say keep up the good work everyone!

You guys have until the end of the month to fill out the half way there survey and that's when i'll post the final one for you!

Happy reading!!
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #95 on: July 04, 2012, 10:17:35 PM »

Are the main characters easily defined and strong?
Kevin is, Nick just got introduced so it's too early for me to say. Julie, unfortunately comes off a little bland. I think her interactions a little awkward, stiff, and that she doesn't have enough depth. But it's still early. I just find myself caring more about Kevin than her, which is rare since unless it's a bromance, I don't usually read Kevin fics lol.

I think I want her to come off a little awkward with the traveling outside of her time. 
- Purpura -
   -Lore-

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #96 on: July 04, 2012, 10:42:12 PM »

Okay, it just makes her very hard to relate to as a character and her interactions.

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #97 on: July 04, 2012, 10:48:28 PM »

^ no I don't want her to be completely awkward just somewhat awkward so I thank you for saying that she comes off awkward and bland.  :) 
« Last Edit: July 04, 2012, 11:16:21 PM by Purpura Lipstick »
- Purpura -
   -Lore-

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #98 on: July 09, 2012, 04:36:20 PM »

1) Since you started the story, has it lead you down the path you thought it would or have there been any surprises you didn't see coming?   - It has been going the path I thought it would, hard not to with the storyline that this is. 

2) How is the pacing of the story? Do you feel like there are too many filler chapters or is it moving too quickly?  -So far I feel that the story is progressing at a normal rate, not too fast, not too slow.  I don’t feel there are many filler chapters as Rose’s chapters each tend to advance the story along. 

3) Is it easy to understand?  -Well there was one line that Brian spoke I had to re-read a couple of times to understand but that was intentional so yes, easy to understand.

4) Have the characters fully developed to your liking? If not, what are they lacking?  -I’d love more Kevin, of course lol, but Rose has each of the boys in a very believable manner.

5) Is this something you are still excited to finish?  -I want to finish it to find out how things are going to be handled by excited, no; I am never excited to read something that could make me cry. ;)

6) Tell us something you feel has stood out about the story. The biggest strength thus far  - Rose has a great way of writing the bond between Brian and Nick and Kevin and Nick.  I enjoy reading their interactions.

7) Do you feel like your reading partner has been reading and reviewing your work fairly and has been participating as they should?  -  Rose has given me some good feedback so far and though I know she’s been busy I also know she will not let me down. 

8) Any questions for the author now that you're halfway through?  I can’t think of any but usually if I have a question I ask her when I review.
- Purpura -
   -Lore-

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #99 on: July 11, 2012, 01:44:20 PM »

Once again just reminding everyone to keep reading! come Sunday we will be at the halfway mark of the summer already! (Oh noes!!) so you might want to keep that in mind as far as your reading goes. If you hit Sunday and aren't halfway through your story, you may want to step it up!

Also don't forget to fill out those surveys once you get there!

I will start bugging some of you by next Wednesday but hopefully by then I won't have to!

:)

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #100 on: July 14, 2012, 11:57:24 AM »

YAY! Finally made it to the halfway point! :)

Name of the story: Curtain Call

1) Since you started the story, has it lead you down the path you thought it would or have there been any surprises you didn't see coming?

Yup, it's pretty much still going down that road although it's not really a secret what it's about lol

2) How is the pacing of the story? Do you feel like there are too many filler chapters or is it moving too quickly?

Every chapter has served a purpose to move the story forward. The pacing is good, a little slow as far as moving the plot along but now that Julie explained why, i'm hoping it'll pick up the pace a little. Too bad Lauren didn't get sick the first or second show lmao

3) Is it easy to understand?

Considering all the medical jargon, you would think not, but Julie does such a great job making everything so easy to follow you would almost think it was being written bv a doctor. I said it before and I am saying it again, queen of medical drama! lol

4) Have the characters fully developed to your liking? If not, what are they lacking?

The characters are incredibly well developed. They could each very easily stand on their own. I admit I loved Cary at first and now I don't like her that much at all but i'm sure that will change in the second half of the story and that's a testament to her personality. Not because she's dull and one dimensional, because she's not! but because she is so much her own person and her personality is so established, it's easy for me to get caught up in her flaws and yearning to want to be liked.

5) Is this something you are still excited to finish?

Of course! Now that the secret is almost out, i'm really looking forward to see how it all plays out and if it really will impact things as much as Nick thought it would.

6) Tell us something you feel has stood out about the story. The biggest strength thus far

Without a doubt, Julie's gift of description. Even the littlest details she manages to throw in just the right amount of explaining with what she's writing about. It's really a gift that she has. Sutble things like what the characters are doing as they sing songs or even just laying in bed watching TV could be boring but not when she writes them.

7) Do you feel like your reading partner has been reading and reviewing your work fairly and has been participating as they should?

Yes, she is already done and has been great with reviews, questions and everything else!

8) Any questions for the author now that you're halfway through?

Not really. She has answered pretty much everything I have asked and put up with my nagging her the whole time! lol 

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #101 on: July 14, 2012, 02:36:44 PM »

Thanks Mare!  Believe it or not, I was originally planning this to carry on through BOTH legs of the North American tour, which would have meant another month more of the same, but by the time I made it up to about where you are, I was so done, I knew that would not be happening LOL.  That doesn't explain why there's another 45 chapters left for you to read, but you know me... I don't do short stories. :P  I hope the rest doesn't drag!  Thanks for the compliments on my description and character development! :)
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #102 on: July 16, 2012, 08:05:50 AM »

Just so you know Lore, I haven't forgotten you :). It seems like anytime I wanted to read the site got glitchy and wouldn't load LOL. That said I'll probably be reading more during the week :).

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #103 on: July 16, 2012, 10:38:59 AM »

I didn't think you forgot. :) It has been acting strange this past week/end.  That reminds me I need to read some more of RMTW. heh
- Purpura -
   -Lore-

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #104 on: July 19, 2012, 02:02:35 AM »

Name of the story: Chronos Project

1) Since you started the story, has it lead you down the path you thought it would or have there been any surprises you didn't see coming?
So far it's had some nice twists and turns but nothing predictable. I did not see Julie accepting Jeff's proposal, him flipping out over a hug, and then her screwing Nick that night when just yesterday she was thinking of how much she liked Kevin LOL. I was so WTF over that.

2) How is the pacing of the story? Do you feel like there are too many filler chapters or is it moving too quickly?
I think the pacing is fine, it's not rushed but it's not dragging either.

3) Is it easy to understand? Yes

4) Have the characters fully developed to your liking? If not, what are they lacking?
I feel like Lore's biggest weakness is original characters. Her writing is good on description and flows well. Her writing of the Boys suits their personalities as well within an AU world where they're not our "Boys". But when it comes to Julie, and even her now ex Jeff, their actions don't really mesh with how she sets them up. Their motivations go one way, while their actions are a 180 in the other direction. It could be why I don't connect to Julie very well. I can't understand her. She doesn't trust Kevin when all the signs point for her to trust him. I find her to be a little too dense too LOL. That's an issue cause you gotta be able to believe she's smart enough to successfully be a double agent.

5) Is this something you are still excited to finish?
Yes, I want to see how it ends. :)

6) Tell us something you feel has stood out about the story. The biggest strength thus far
The way she was able to create this technology for the story. I feel like it was very creative and not something every author could pull off.

7) Do you feel like your reading partner has been reading and reviewing your work fairly and has been participating as they should?
Yep! Lore's been great about reviews.

8) Any questions for the author now that you're halfway through?
Nothing I think she'll answer LOL.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2012, 02:04:33 AM by Rose »

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 13