Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 13

Author Topic: Let the Summer Reading Commence! :O)  (Read 36482 times)

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
Re: Let the Summer Reading Commence! :O)
« Reply #105 on: July 19, 2012, 09:01:53 AM »

That section of the whole Jeff/Julie and the Nick sex was the one area of the story where I really, really had a hard time wrapping my head around myself.  In retrospect I would have taken the Jeff/Julie thing a completely different way but I think I was so caught up in the story and my own outline that I didn't take the time to deter with that part to make it work better.  This was the area of the story where Nick took over, bastard!  I tried to steer him different ways but he was like "I'm not the main character! Ha! watch me morph my own role"

- Purpura -
   -Lore-

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #106 on: July 19, 2012, 09:09:30 AM »

Yeah, you definitely rushed that, so it seems very very out of character and confusing. I think maybe if you had taken more time with it, I'd have been able to see where everyone was coming from. As it reads, yeah I was a bit "whoa, wait, what?!" on it LOL.
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #107 on: July 27, 2012, 11:06:34 AM »

And I'm done with Remember Me This Way, phew.  Now I don't have to worry about the tears that will come cause I'm done they are done...

It's hard for me to think of anything to really comment on now.  I've told her how I liked how she portrayed the guys in the story and how towards the end of the story it switched from us seeing Nick's mind to seeing what it was doing to everyone else.   

Do we have the completed survey yet? LOL
- Purpura -
   -Lore-

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #108 on: July 27, 2012, 11:09:46 AM »

and to clarify, it's not my typical type because I don't like reading stories I know will make me tear up... seriously that's the only reason. LOL
- Purpura -
   -Lore-

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #109 on: July 27, 2012, 11:15:40 AM »

LOL just wait till you finish Curtain Call.
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #110 on: July 27, 2012, 11:21:55 AM »

I know I still need to finish it but I'm avoiding it because of that very reason
- Purpura -
   -Lore-

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #111 on: July 27, 2012, 01:23:41 PM »

And I'm done with Remember Me This Way, phew.  Now I don't have to worry about the tears that will come cause I'm done they are done...

It's hard for me to think of anything to really comment on now.  I've told her how I liked how she portrayed the guys in the story and how towards the end of the story it switched from us seeing Nick's mind to seeing what it was doing to everyone else.   

Do we have the completed survey yet? LOL

Not yet but I'm posting it tomorrow since so many people seem to be done or almost done :)
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #112 on: July 28, 2012, 07:46:28 AM »

Hey guys! I can't believe July is almost over! That means so is this challenge, which also means it's time for Mare to start some nagging when needed. Those of you who did this last year must admit I've been far better this year than last with this lol but now it's coming down to the wire so I will be pushing some of you to get this thing done before the deadline.

I'm compiling a list of your progress so far and remember I can only base it on what I see in the reviews.

People who have finished reading their stories:

Lore
Tracy
carterkid
Ritz
Erika
Julie

Congrats, you all get a gold star!!

People are at least at the halfway point reading:

Steph
Julilly
Rose
Dottie
Mare
Sue

People in yellow still need to complete their halfway through surveys!

Okay so now we all know where we stand. I will be nudging you every week or so to get you going. I know with vacations, work, real life etc...we all get busy but really do your best to get this done!

Thanks guys!!!

« Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 11:08:48 AM by mare »
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #113 on: July 28, 2012, 07:47:30 AM »

The final survey (to be completed once you are done with your story)

*Please remember that when you signed up for this challenge, you were aware that the feedback you would be getting would be in the form of some constructive criticism so these last questions were designed to bring that out. I hope no one will be offended by anyone's responses, but then again if this challenge was done correctly, no one should be overly surprised by most of the things said. Of course if all you got was "Great job!" on every chapter and then tell us you hated the story, the author has ever reason to question you about it and I have every reason to poke you in the eye with a spork!

Name of story:

1) When you were asked to pick a story for the challenge, what made you choose this one and why didn't you read it before this point?

2) What actually was the biggest challenge for you when it came to reading the story?

3) When reading, did you feel like it was something you really were looking forward to or more a homework assignment? Did that change once you got into it?

4) What was your favorite part of the story?

5) Who was your favorite character and why?

6) What about your least favorite character and why?

7) If there was a sequel to this story, would be you interested in reading it?

8) Were you happy with the ending? Did it end the way you predicted it would?

9) Overall, if you had to take away something from the story, what do you think the lesson learned was?

10) Give us one final review that you feel sums up your experience reading this, maybe why you gave the kind of feedback you did or if you would have perhaps picked a different story from this one.

11) For the readers who did this last year and this year, which did you prefer, reading each other's stories or reading someone other than who was reading yours?

12) Any final comments or suggestions for next year to make this work even better?

13) Any final comments for the author?

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #114 on: July 28, 2012, 07:48:21 AM »

The Writer's Survey  (To be completed once the person who is reading your story is completely finished reviewing it!)

* This is the chance to let your reader know how you felt about the experience. Same deal as the one above. Be honest, be fair and be ready to explain if you are asked a question.

1) Do you feel like the person reading your story, gave it a fair shot?

2) Did you take away anything valuable from the feed back given to you from the person reading your story?

3) Did anything the reader say to you, make you reconsider things you have written and change or correct things?

4) Are there any questions you'd like to ask the person who read your story?

5) Any final thoughts or comments concerning the reading challenge and the person who read your stuff?

6) Would you consider doing this again next year?

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #115 on: July 28, 2012, 08:03:35 AM »

Which page is the halfway survey on? I can't find it. :/
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #116 on: July 28, 2012, 08:21:14 AM »

Hrmm I think maybe 6?

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #117 on: July 28, 2012, 08:28:17 AM »

Disregard! Crisis averted. I checked every page except the one it was on.

Name of the story:

1) Since you started the story, has it lead you down the path you thought it would or have there been any surprises you didn't see coming?

I feel like at this point the story has established a formula and is sticking with it. There hasn't been too many surprises once the major plot points were revealed.

2) How is the pacing of the story? Do you feel like there are too many filler chapters or is it moving too quickly?

I'd say it's moving along at a steady pace. There doesn't seem to be much in the way of filler but I don't feel like it's jumping too far forward either.

3) Is it easy to understand?

Very much so! Ritz's English is much better than she gives herself credit for, I think. She does a good job of painting a mental image.

4) Have the characters fully developed to your liking? If not, what are they lacking?

I feel like this story, like most fanfic, uses an assumption that you know details about the characters just because you know who they "are". I'm guilty of it too, but there isn't a whole lot by way of character development done by the author because there's an expectation that you already know the details of their personality.

5) Is this something you are still excited to finish?

Ritz might think I have checked out but honestly I'm just a slow reader. I can never sit down and read something straight through. I have about 5 chapters left to catch up to the last updated chapter and I'm looking forward to them!

6) Tell us something you feel has stood out about the story. The biggest strength thus far

I don't know if any one thing in particular has jumped out at me so far but then again the story is really only at the middle. There's so much more than could develop as the plot continues to arc so I think there's a big opportunity for stand-out moments. At this point though I would say the uniqueness of the plot is the story's biggest strength.

7) Do you feel like your reading partner has been reading and reviewing your work fairly and has been participating as they should?

She was awesome! She is a much better reader and me and finished H&H in one go. She left me some great reviews that I was super appreciative of.

8) Any questions for the author now that you're halfway through?

Hmm. No, I don't think I do. Not YET anyway!
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #118 on: July 28, 2012, 09:53:54 AM »

^ and now I will de yellowize your name! :) lol

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #119 on: July 28, 2012, 10:16:20 AM »

^ and now I will de yellowize your name! :) lol

That's so funny, the editor at the magazine I've been working at this summer uses the term "yellowize" and I always laugh. Apparently it's more common than I thought!
~Maple Jellybean~

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 13