Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: Do you have a writing quirk?  (Read 15470 times)

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
Re: Do you have a writing quirk?
« Reply #30 on: June 10, 2012, 10:34:34 PM »

The only quirk I can think of that I have is that every story written after Room 438 that has a hotel or apartment ... the number is 438...
- Purpura -
   -Lore-

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #31 on: June 11, 2012, 12:03:40 AM »

I have Nick getting shy when someone compliments him, he's always blushing or feeling self conscious in my stories!

Pengi

• Minion of Mayhem
  • spread the llamalove
    • Tweet Me
« Reply #32 on: June 11, 2012, 10:04:09 AM »

(Except for my teeny fics in which Nick and all the other BSB moved onto my street after Nick fell in love with me in Florida.)

Is that before or after your destination wedding? :)
:penguin: PENGi :penguin:

Pengi

• Minion of Mayhem
  • spread the llamalove
    • Tweet Me
« Reply #33 on: June 11, 2012, 10:10:35 AM »

I seem to have people die a lot... and have people picking up pieces behind them. I'm literally incapable of telling a story that somebody doesn't die in... Even when I was a kid, Barbie always bit the dust in my games. She'd drive her Dream Car down the stairs and or meet her demise camping as a bear ate Ken's leg off and return to a feiry inferno of Dream House. Seriously, I was really evil to my Barbies. I've been pretty evil to my FF characters too. LOL

All of my stories have soundtracks too. When I start writing a story, it starts with one song that I play on a loop while I write until I think of another one that fits the situation and add that, then those two play on a loop and so forth until I have multiple songs for each story. Usually, the songs aren't even BSB songs. For instance, my Something Beautiful playlist has 13 songs on it and only one of them is by BSB... and technically it's Brian solo so not really Backstreet Boys at all... and was added as an afterthought because Brian sang it in the end of the story, not even used in the writing process at all. But really if you're gonna have a sound track and Brian sings "I'm Alive" in the story, "I'm Alive" should probably be on the sound track. Right?

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #34 on: June 11, 2012, 07:25:49 PM »

LOL Oh Barbies... I LOVED Barbies!  Before I started writing for fun, that was one of the ways I got my "stories" out - either by playing them out with Barbies or acting them out with the neighbor kids.  I loved drama then just as much as I do now!

I do the soundtrack thing too, for certain stories.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

Pengi

• Minion of Mayhem
  • spread the llamalove
    • Tweet Me
« Reply #35 on: June 11, 2012, 09:03:22 PM »

I used to RPG too, when I was little. My friends and I always acted out stories we made up using characters from all our favorite TV shows, books, and movies. It was crazy.

A couple days ago, I read a study about kids that play alternate universe role play games (like "house" or acting out stories) and they said that by polling creatives that have won MacArthur Grants, something like 60% of them played alternate universe RPGS when they were children... I thought that was kind of neat. The study went on to say that RPGs actually stimulate the creative mechanisms in a kid's brain and create a lifelong tendency to be more creative than kids that played more "traditional games".

I know I sound like Sheldon Cooper right now.  :-X

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #36 on: June 11, 2012, 09:46:03 PM »

That doesn't surprise me much, it actually makes a lot of sense. I've seen a few studies on children like that too. I know as a kid, I used to have my barbies. The ones my brother ripped the heads off of, ended up as zombie monsters that attacked my other barbies, or ended up as slaves to the witch barbie...

I was always an odd child lmfao. No romance or normal house games, instead it was always witches, monsters, and zombies with my barbies :D.
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #37 on: June 11, 2012, 10:21:34 PM »

That makes sense, although I don't know of many (if any?) young kids who DON'T play some version of house/school/war/whatever.  Little kids are naturally creative, but something causes some people to retain that creativity and others to lose it.  It definitely could be the difference between continuing to roleplay by acting things out in real life or with toys vs. relying on TV and video games for entertainment.  One requires imagination; the other does not.
~Julie

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #38 on: June 11, 2012, 10:29:05 PM »

That doesn't surprise me much, it actually makes a lot of sense. I've seen a few studies on children like that too. I know as a kid, I used to have my barbies. The ones my brother ripped the heads off of, ended up as zombie monsters that attacked my other barbies, or ended up as slaves to the witch barbie...

I was always an odd child lmfao. No romance or normal house games, instead it was always witches, monsters, and zombies with my barbies :D.

I was an odd child like that too LOL.  I loved to pretend, but never enjoyed playing straight-forward "house."  I was a tomboy, and most of my friends were boys, so "house" turned into X-Men house, army house, pioneers and Indians house, etc.  I had more fun making bows and arrows out of sticks than playing house LOL.  My little sister and her girl friends liked playing house, but when I played with them, I was always a killer gorilla that would attack the house or a homeless person that would bother them.  The only "normal" pretending games I remember playing were school and restaurant LOL.
~Julie

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #39 on: June 11, 2012, 10:56:39 PM »

I was an odd child like that too LOL.  I loved to pretend, but never enjoyed playing straight-forward "house."  I was a tomboy, and most of my friends were boys, so "house" turned into X-Men house, army house, pioneers and Indians house, etc.  I had more fun making bows and arrows out of sticks than playing house LOL.  My little sister and her girl friends liked playing house, but when I played with them, I was always a killer gorilla that would attack the house or a homeless person that would bother them.  The only "normal" pretending games I remember playing were school and restaurant LOL.

LMAO I loved playing X-Men house, I always wanted to be Storm. That, and Power Ranger house, and I think the girliest I got was wanting to be the Pink Ranger :P.
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
    • twitter
« Reply #40 on: June 12, 2012, 12:32:44 AM »

When I was a kid I was a tomboy. I played barbies but I always was the boy. We didn't do normal romance type stuff, wed act out movies or make up our own scenes with tornadoes hitting or earthquakes. I loved natural disasters.

I played power rangers as well, I was always the blue ranger and my friend would be the green ranger, my sister was the pink one. LOL we also used to take sheets and make tents like we were camping.

As for Mare's questions, titles are hard for me but most of the time I don't think about it and let it come to me, or I use a song title or play on words.

Dialogue is sometimes hard, my friend and I act out scenes over yahoo messenger and I write the story using what we come up with in brainstorming.

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
    • twitter
« Reply #41 on: June 12, 2012, 12:41:36 AM »

The second part of my post was meant for the other thread. Oops.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #42 on: June 12, 2012, 06:41:49 AM »

LMAO I loved playing X-Men house, I always wanted to be Storm. That, and Power Ranger house, and I think the girliest I got was wanting to be the Pink Ranger :P.

I was always Storm too!
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #43 on: June 12, 2012, 06:43:00 AM »

When I was little I used to sing into doorknobs and play with my grandmas girdle for hours. I had Barbies but rarely played with them. I was too busy trying to get ceramic clowns to talk lol
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #44 on: June 12, 2012, 06:45:07 AM »

LOL I was a weird kid too!  I recently found a bag full of my old school books, going back to when I was 7.  I couldn't believe the stuff I wrote.  I was either being transported to the future, living in haunted houses or meeting famous pop stars :)

As for games I played, I was quite a tom boy at times but also used to love my Barbies.  I used to have them living in a mythical land with dragons and unicorns though :)

I also used to think my toys came to life at night when I was asleep  :D
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6